Pittsburgh & Phoenix players making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamma82

Jul 16, 2003
Joe's Garage
Newsguyone said:
If there is any truth at all to this, than, Jezus, what are we to make of the Bettman era?
I can't vouch for the validity of what was said, though it is coming from an economist and not from the NHL or the NHLPA. I will say that it does ring true to me, the NFL shares the majority of the revenue which comes from TV. All 30 NHL teams cut their own deals, they only share in the national contract which now guarantees nothing.

The owners want cost certainty, but won't speak of revenue sharing. What does a payroll capped at $40 million do for the teams who lost $$'s with lower payrolls? The Rangers didn't lose $$'s at high payrolls and didn't make the playoffs, now the may not make the playoffs but they are sure to make $$'s if a cap is in place. Until the owners are willing to be true partners with each other like the NFL owners are why should the players accept a cap. If the owners want to keep their own revenues and not share then why not a luxury tax system that forces the big spenders to share with the lower revenue teams?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
EricBowser said:
officially per TSN's Bob McKenzie, click on their video link at TSN to view.

I have no doubt, Mark Recchi along with Lemieux and Gretzky have been working the phones since Wednesday to get a deal done, more so after the terrible negotiation tactic by the NHLPA to not negotiate on Friday.

look for a possible leak tonight or tomorrow about the NHL-NHLPA meeting in NY or Toronto, maybe by late night Sunday, we'll have an NHL and NHLPA press release for a Monday presser, let's hope.

Owners directy trying to influence the players. :shakehead

Can anyone say Anti Trust Lawsuit

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Reilly311 said:
What's this? An oiler fan talking about another teams bad trades?

If Phoenix was in such financial difficulty, they wouldnt' have signed all those free agents. IMO, they ripped Philly off in the Comrie deal.

Whats this a Penguin fan sticking up for the dogs?
Beleive it or not Einstein, Lowe has had his hands tied behind his back and has been forced to make some deals. But unlike Barnett, Lowe's deals have put the team on better footing for the future salary caped NHL.
I'd think a fan of a small market team like Pittsburgh could see the position the Oilers have been in.
No worries though, even with your joke of an NHL team you still have the all might Steelers....oh wait they choked again....no worries, you got that double A team in the Pirates.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
a Philly fan talking about choking...lol

hows our 4 superbowls look

must suck to the two that you have lost

when have you last won the Cup

ouch...that must hurt too

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
likea said:

Let it go, most Philly fans are cool. I in fact was rooting for them, hard, against NE in the SB. Mostly because I can not stand that Bellichek garbage, but still I liked Philly's team and wish them luck next year.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
likea said:

How long has it been since Hitler....errrr Cowher led you to a conference championship win??

5 cups baby...you got only 2

Oh ya and how bout the Panthers show up for there next bowl game...oh wait the Utes just frikin scored AGAIN!!

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Whats up with people thinking Pittsburgh has a troubled franchise? F'n joke people.

The only reason Pitt's name has come up on a downer of a note is because of the Arena. lemieux said it himself, "no arena, no team" And, this is a fair trade off. Mellon is an opera house that hosts hockey games. Then, people draw conclusions and say "Well if Mario wants to move the team, they must be losing money". If anything they are probably cutting nearest to even right now.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
OilerFan4Life said:
How long has it been since Hitler....errrr Cowher led you to a conference championship win??

5 cups baby...you got only 2

Oh ya and how bout the Panthers show up for there next bowl game...oh wait the Utes just frikin scored AGAIN!!

5 cups???

I only see 2

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/history/cup/champs.html

unless the NHL is wrong.....

4 Steeler superbowls to zero Eagles superbowls
2 Pens Cups to 2 Flyers Cups
Pirate championships 5 to Phillies 1

it must suck to be in Philly

hey, lets even add the Philly A's and you still lose a total count by 3

lol

oh, your not a Philly fan in all sports, you get to pick and choose your teams ...lol

Go Pittsburgh!!!!

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
likea said:
5 cups???

I only see 2

lol

Go Pittsburgh!!!!

Some interesting trivia, the Pirates got their name for 'Pirating' away a player . . . from the Phillies. And yes, I know I know, I can already hear some posting now to keep to hockey, but the Philly Pittsburgh back and forth made that worth sharing.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
deathbear said:
if you children would stop bickering and answer my simple question it would be greatly appreciated.

are any of you older than 12? i'm serious.

I am older than 12, the video is like 10 minutes long so I don't think anyone is going to give you a run down

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
likea said:
5 cups???

I only see 2

lol

Go Pittsburgh!!!!

:lol: I think you should look at my username Einstein....Oiler fan here...5 cups...and im not a Philles fan. lol....no worries though, I know how delusional it can get in that junkyard they call Pittsburgh

NYIsles1*

The_Garden said:
The owners want cost certainty, but won't speak of revenue sharing. What does a payroll capped at $40 million do for the teams who lost $$'s with lower payrolls?
The NHL just this week in it's offer to the NHLPA had revenue sharing, profit sharing included in the proposal along with an auditor chosen by both sides to oversee what teams are making or losing with fines+ loss of picks for non-disclosure, I think the owners are very serious and will do what it takes to improve the business.

The_Garden said:
The Rangers didn't lose $$'s at high payrolls and didn't make the playoffs, now the may not make the playoffs but they are sure to make $$'s if a cap is in place.
The Rangers reportedly lose between 25-40 million a year (depending on what you read) with a high seventies or eighty payroll which is close to what the Blues claim to be losing. The Garden has few luxury boxes and it's an old facility.

If it comes down to a fifty million dollar cap or whatever it is Cablevision will pay whatever taxes and spend the limit, in the end they still may lose money to operate with such an expensive overhead.

Dolan also owes his remaining fans a ten percent discount and anyone who goes to games knows he could not sellout his own building with that 80 million dollar team, especially on weeknights. Good luck selling a youth movement after a long lockout, the media in NYC would not cover Jagr, Lindros or Leetch last year, why are they going to cover Jed Ortmeyer and Nylander?

More important how is a team that drew television ratings equal to 60,000 homes for all games on Msg last season going to make any revenue?

When Dolan finally has to ice a team without the name players they are going to continue to take the hit they were already taking before the lockout in a corporate building where even the Knicks have only 13,000 season tickets sold and cannot sellout games the past few years. This will not even take into account the apathy after a lockout with the fans and weak hockey media here or how they cannot compete with the other sports in NYC.

The Rangers have some very tough obstacles in front of them.

The_Garden said:
Until the owners are willing to be true partners with each other like the NFL owners are why should the players accept a cap. If the owners want to keep their own revenues and not share then why not a luxury tax system that forces the big spenders to share with the lower revenue teams?
It's not easy to incorporate a system where a team loses revenue but has to share revenue strams. That's another reason this game needs some ecomomic parity.

Unlike the NHL the NFL owners make revenue owing teams and have a great television contact and they do not allow corporations to own teams. The so-called big markets outside of Toronto in hockey are all losing revenue unless were calling Vancouver and Minnesota big markets.

Last edited by a moderator:

likea

Jul 9, 2004
OilerFan4Life said:
:lol: I think you should look at my username Einstein....Oiler fan here...5 cups...and im not a Philles fan. lol....no worries though, I know how delusional it can get in that junkyard they call Pittsburgh

awesome, that even makes it better

Oilers 5- Pens 2
Steelers 4- Eagles 0
Pirates 5- ????

must be nice to be a bandwagon fan

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
likea said:
awesome, that even makes it better

Oilers 5- Pens 2
Steelers 4- Eagles 0
Pirates 5- ????

must be nice to be a bandwagon fan

bandwagon fan?? lol....Actually I was born and raised in Edmonton.....my uncle went to Ohio State University and thus im a Buckeyes fan...my father was a huge Reggie White fan and thus I was born an Eagles fan...how am I bandwagoner? Please explain :dunno:

likea

Jul 9, 2004
OilerFan4Life said:
bandwagon fan?? lol....Actually I was born and raised in Edmonton.....my uncle went to Ohio State University and thus im a Buckeyes fan...my father was a huge Reggie White fan and thus I was born an Eagles fan...how am I bandwagoner? Please explain :dunno:

sorry, it must suck to not have any teams near you to cheer for

ya, call the Pirates triple A when u don't even have a team in your area..lol

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
likea said:
sorry, it must suck to not have any teams near you to cheer for

ya, call the Pirates triple A when u don't even have a team in your area..lol

come on now....triple A is being a wee bit generous there....more like double A :lol: ...no seriously I kind of started liking the Pirates last year because of Jason Bay...who knows with that young ace like Perez they could make a run for a wild card. :dunno:

likea

Jul 9, 2004
OilerFan4Life said:
come on now....triple A is being a wee bit generous there....more like double A :lol: ...no seriously I kind of started liking the Pirates last year because of Jason Bay...who knows with that young ace like Perez they could make a run for a wild card. :dunno:

well Bay is Canadian

ok, I'm done, back on topic

Carl Spackler

Mar 9, 2004
Scugs said:
:deadhorse <--- What posting in this thread accomplishes now.

Agreed. Someone has to reel in people before they destroy what looked to be a promising thread for discussion.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
deathbear said:
if you children would stop bickering and answer my simple question it would be greatly appreciated.

are any of you older than 12? i'm serious.
Basically its what i said on page 1,without bothering with the trivialties like naming names and so on.Owners calling Bettman and players calling Goodenow to get a deal done.I think the ugly reality of a lost season or more is finally clicking in with the more rational members of each side.Sadly i feel its too late for this season,perhaps if this had started in October or even November it would have had sufficient time to build momentum and make a difference.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
The_Garden said:
Article on TSN.ca http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114691

"The notion that the NHL can solve its problems with a salary cap is ludicrous," Noll said. "It will increase profits for the best teams, but it doesn't make the small-market teams viable. The disparity of revenues across the league is greater than in any other sport and there's no salary solution to that problem. Some teams have 25 times (the local TV revenue) of other teams. The only solution is to get rid of the small-market teams or subsidize them.
"Even if salaries were zero dollars per year, I question if some small-market teams would have enough revenue to cover costs. Blowing up the league is the likely outcome because the big-market teams don't see revenue sharing as being in their best interest," Noll said.

Noll seems to ignore part of the reasoning behind a cap. With payroll disparity being lesser then now, and with a smaller average salary, teams with lower budget are going to be able to afford better players. Featuring a better team (product), they hope to see a rise in demand and a bigger revenue (both gate and tv revenue). If they can achieve this through a cap, it could make the smaller teams viable.

As for National TV contracts, well if the product on the ice can improve (via better match ups due to better on-ice teams by the lower budget teams) and HD TV really makes the NHL shine, they could get a fairly significant $ amount, which in turn would help the smaller markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad