Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Last edited:
Reactions: Al Smith

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I am bullish on Yager. Yeah, watching WHL highlights does not provide much of a canvas. That said, I love what I see.

I am a huge believer that someone like Yager, who plays the same position as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, could learn a TON just by hanging around them. We should give Yager every chance to earn a roster spot in training camp, and then give him nine more games when the regular season starts just to be absolutely sure he is NOT ready.

For this to occur, we have to trade Lars Eller. We have to give Yager, plus Poulin and Ponomarev, something to shoot for in camp. That three-way battle should be big for this organization going forward. But for me, it starts with Yager. A right-shooting center with upside. It is like having a 19-year-old Jeff Carter!

That should be the selling point to Mike Sullivan.
Sullivan actually commented on Yager last year in camp something along the lines of "are we sure he's not NHL ready" or something like that, as he was impressed with his shot. There was video of it somewhere.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is in the second inning here of the retool or rebuild once Sid and Geno are gone. Yager. ST Ivany, Poulin, Ponomarev, Pickering, Broz are the primary prospects. Without the draft pick this year, it does hinder the adding assets, Next off season the Pens will have to move players for picks and prospects.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I know it's the hockey news, but they update their top 15 penguins prospects for the 2023/2024 year. I'm shocked that Svejkovsky and Frasca were on their list but not Pienniemi and Cooper Foster.
the last paragraph says it all. "While the organization may not possess many prospects who will be top-tier players at the NHL level" that type of player should be the easiest to find. we need the draft to find some stars. imo

Reactions: Rudy Russo

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Actually think our pool post Guentzel trade is somewhat deep now. Especially once you factor 2 top 50 picks this year.

Lacks high end talent and is still a bottom 10-15 farm system but it’s not in absolute miserable shape anymore IMO.

Not that it actually matters how anyone’s farm rates anyway.

Reactions: Darren McCord

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dubas is in the second inning here of the retool or rebuild once Sid and Geno are gone. Yager. ST Ivany, Poulin, Ponomarev, Pickering, Broz are the primary prospects. Without the draft pick this year, it does hinder the adding assets, Next off season the Pens will have to move players for picks and prospects.
What stinks is that, traditionally, when the picks weren't there, they've been able to sign 1-2 guys from the NCAA to bolster the pool. They don't get that this time, unfortunately. 2 2nds are nice, though (not counting on it becoming a 1st).

They should commit themselves to using who they do have though. I see very little reason Pono, Poulin, Koivunen, and Yager shouldn't see some NHL games this year.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I wanted the Pens to get pottery luck but in the end, Dubas has years to add to the system since Sid who I think will sign an extension and and still have Karlsson for next year and Rakell back healthy next year. Who ever they add will need to be younger and have room to improve.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I am bullish on Yager. Yeah, watching WHL highlights does not provide much of a canvas. That said, I love what I see.

I am a huge believer that someone like Yager, who plays the same position as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, could learn a TON just by hanging around them. We should give Yager every chance to earn a roster spot in training camp, and then give him nine more games when the regular season starts just to be absolutely sure he is NOT ready.

For this to occur, we have to trade Lars Eller. We have to give Yager, plus Poulin and Ponomarev, something to shoot for in camp. That three-way battle should be big for this organization going forward. But for me, it starts with Yager. A right-shooting center with upside. It is like having a 19-year-old Jeff Carter!

That should be the selling point to Mike Sullivan.
I agree 100%, playing with those guys can be a huge booster for the kid. He is also Dubas 1st ever pick, I think he gets a shot next season to prove himself in the 1st month of the season.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I know it's the hockey news, but they update their top 15 penguins prospects for the 2023/2024 year. I'm shocked that Svejkovsky and Frasca were on their list but not Pienniemi and Cooper Foster.
I would think Ilyin would be a little higher in this list.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
What stinks is that, traditionally, when the picks weren't there, they've been able to sign 1-2 guys from the NCAA to bolster the pool. They don't get that this time, unfortunately. 2 2nds are nice, though (not counting on it becoming a 1st).

They should commit themselves to using who they do have though. I see very little reason Pono, Poulin, Koivunen, and Yager shouldn't see some NHL games this year.
With a deep draft and the penguins already trading their 2nd round pick in 2025, Dubas needs to hold on to the penguins 2025 first round pick.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Ponomarev over Poulin is a decision.

Not at All, a bag of pucks over Poulin (the bust) isn't even a decision.

You guys are dedicated, that's for sure.

Just because Dubas acquired him, doesn't make Ponomarev bad. If it weren't for an injury, he would have made a much better and deeper Canes team out of camp last year.

Poulin has had mental health issues. Not sure why you wouldn't cheer for the guy. We don't know if he's a bust yet.

I'd give the edge to Ponomarev. A year younger and seems more ready based on what Canes fans have said about him.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Just because Dubas acquired him, doesn't make Ponomarev bad. If it weren't for an injury, he would have made a much better and deeper Canes team out of camp last year.

Poulin has had mental health issues. Not sure why you wouldn't cheer for the guy. We don't know if he's a bust yet.

I'd give the edge to Ponomarev. A year younger and seems more ready based on what Canes fans have said about him.
I'm not down at all on Pono! Just Poulin, love the trade Dubas made!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Never said Ponomarev was bad.

Poulin should just be over him if we are rating our prospects.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Poulin still has a chance of being a top six power forward, though it is far more likely he's a solid third liner. Ponomarev is a solid prospect, but his ceiling is a high value third liner.

Of the prospects acquired in the Guentzel deal, Koivunen has the highest ceiling, Ponomarev has the highest floor, and Lucius is the lotto ticket you hope to cash in.

Reactions: Freeptop

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Poulin still has a chance of being a top six power forward, though it is far more likely he's a solid third liner. Ponomarev is a solid prospect, but his ceiling is a high value third liner.

Of the prospects acquired in the Guentzel deal, Koivunen has the highest ceiling, Ponomarev has the highest floor, and Lucius is the lotto ticket you hope to cash in.

Not saying Poulin is going to be Vilardi, but he's a perfect example of a player everyone was kind of out on due to personal situations and injury and then he put up 23 goals and 40 points in his 23 year old season.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think a 3rd line with Poulin-Ponomarev as 2 of the pieces would be decent. From all accounts dating back to last year, he was really pushing to have that 3C spot on the canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad