Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This is why I'm not sold on Koivunen. Especially when you look at his physical abilities. Not really comes off the page.

Reminds me of Niemela who was such an amazing player according to Leafs fans.
I’d agree physically. His skill is obvious with a good shot.

His skating is good in a line but turns are too wide. Wouldn’t call it a strength.

I think there’s chance of being a tweener scorer without physical ability but I also think he’s more naturally talented than Jake Guentzel was.

his lack of explosiveness with the greater pace/smaller area in NA are my big questions coming from Liiga. Can his anticipation make up for it?

I’d say he has a good chance of being a top 6 piece. Maybe 20-25 times out of 100.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ah good one. Wanna compare Facebook and MySpace friends totals next? :rolleyes:

Sub 50% likes per posts.

Above 80% likes per posts.

The numbers don't lie. Maybe you should observe my masterclass of posting.

His skating is good in a line but turns are too wide. Wouldn’t call it a strength.

I think there’s chance of being a tweener scorer without physical ability but I also think he’s more naturally talented than Jake Guentzel was.

his lack of explosiveness with the greater pace/smaller area in NA are my big questions coming from Liiga. Can his anticipation make up for it?

I’d say he has a good chance of being a top 6 piece. Maybe 20-25 times out of 100.

Seems fair. I just would have much rather taken a piece like Morrow if available over the three prospects we got plus Bunting.

I think adding Morrow gives you more flexibility in moving away from Pickering and also you could repackage the 1st and 3rd for a younger player as well.

But, like I said.. the Canes have given away a lot of great depth pieces over the years, so I trust their scouting.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think if Pickering hits his ceiling, which is a big if, he'll bring Matheson's skating/transition ability without the defensive issues. But he's probably still like 3+ years away from challenging for an NHL spot, and it'll be an uphill battle with him having to learn how to use his frame and reach against better, stronger and faster opponents. I don't think he'll ever be a gaudy offensive guy--he probably won't even hit Matheson's production--and he certainly won't be a physical force out there.

I'm not really as high on him as others. Hope he proves me wrong though.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I am discussing it. You are mad I’m saying it is a bad trade because it is a bad trade..

Sorry I’m not excited about Koivunen dominating a league where Kasper Bjorkqvist has a role.
This is as absurd as saying Blackhawk fans shouldn't be excited about Bedard because he plays in a league that still employs Jarred Tinordi. Or that anything Crosby does is reduced because Jansen Harkins is around.

We're not even apples to oranges here. It's comparing apples to a moose.

Yes, Bjorkqvist plays in the same league as Koivunen. Bjorkqvist has all of 13 points in 46 games. Koivunen has 56 in 59, plus his electric start to the playoffs.

I understand tempering expectations and being skeptical, but come on.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Don't be jealous. I'll earmark my top 5 posts so you can learn how to get the accolades you deserve for such great hits as posting a 4chan meme.
Great, I'll get some Prozac and Zoloft ready for afterwards. I'll get extra for everyone else who has the misfortune of reading them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is as absurd as saying Blackhawk fans shouldn't be excited about Bedard because he plays in a league that still employs Jarred Tinordi. Or that anything Crosby does is reduced because Jansen Harkins is around.

We're not even apples to oranges here. It's comparing apples to a moose.

Yes, Bjorkqvist plays in the same league as Koivunen. Bjorkqvist has all of 13 points in 46 games. Koivunen has 56 in 59, plus his electric start to the playoffs.

I understand tempering expectations and being skeptical, but come on.

Jared Tinordi would be the best defenseman on Karput. So, good point you make.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd go:

1. Yager
2. Ilyin
3. Blomqvist
4. Koivunen
5. Poulin
6. Murashov
7. Pickering
8. Lucius
9. Ponomarev
10. Pieniniemi

Hopefully our 1st round pick instantly becomes our best prospect.
I'd put Koivunen at 2, 3 at worst.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
BTW if anyone is watching Koivunen highlights you should watch out for Helenius on Jukurit. Expected to go in the 4-12 range in the upcoming draft. Personally I think he’s not my first or second choice but he’s pretty good.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It comes down to the development and maturity of a young player who has skill. Pens can work on his issues like skating and edge work. But he needs to add strength and size like most young players. He has skill and Dunas mentioned the Pens were very aware of him and his play so the scouts really like him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Koivunen a W and not a C? Some places list him as C.

flashscore has him on the RW in the last couple box scores.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

People are overlooking a Dubas statement made in his press conference. Paraphrasing here, he said the deadline day deals might get them into trade conversations they couldn't enter before. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Koivunen or Ponomarev play one game in a Penguins uniform.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
BTW if anyone is watching Koivunen highlights you should watch out for Helenius on Jukurit. Expected to go in the 4-12 range in the upcoming draft. Personally I think he’s not my first or second choice but he’s pretty good.
Konsta is the one guy I'd be happy to get if we stay in the top 10 and Dubas keeps the pick. I'm a sucker for skilled Finns.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Konsta is the one guy I'd be happy to get if we stay in the top 10 and Dubas keeps the pick. I'm a sucker for skilled Finns.
He’s a right handed Anton Lundell basically. Would hope for a player with a higher ceiling with a top 10 pick. Give me Zeev BOOOOOM.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we picked him at 10, I would only be sad if we left other guys on the table like Catton or Lindstrom. I would be super high on him if he was 6'3 or 6'4 with some more weight. I can see him being a good 3C but topping out at average 2C. Wouldn't hate having him in the system and seeing if he could pair with Koivunen and a gritty LW. Who knows, a line of Puljujavri-Helenius-Koivunen could end up being something.
He’s a right handed Anton Lundell basically. Would hope for a player with a higher ceiling with a top 10 pick. Give me Zeev BOOOOOM.
I've watch a lot of Buium clips and I'm just not as high on him as others. If the choice is Zev or give the pick to SJS, I lean sending SJS the pick. Right at about Buium's rank is where I have doubts of the strength of the draft. I think top 10, you're getting a solid player. After that...super sketchy which is why I think the best overall situation if for us to land 11+ which makes the decision for us.
Nick Ritchie was supposed to be a top player when he joined Kärpät. His contract was terminated after 10 games.
You're in Finland, you probably have better insight and exposure that us - what's your take on Koivunen and his potential?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sub 50% likes per posts.

Above 80% likes per posts.

The numbers don't lie. Maybe you should observe my masterclass of posting.
The numbers might not lie, but the ppl who ''like'' your posts sure as hell do. So, tell me, do you need to be defined or validated by others? You're worried about if you get more ''likes'' than others? That's a middle schoolers mentality.

But, then again it wasn't long ago that I saw the picture you posted of your dad taking you to your first game. :thumbu::thumbu::D

Great, I'll get some Prozac and Zoloft ready for afterwards. I'll get extra for everyone else who has the misfortune of reading them.
Sometimes he just throws stuff out there that doesn't make any sense just to get a reaction. How many ''likes'' someone gets defines them? :laugh:

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The numbers might not lie, but the ppl who ''like'' your posts sure as hell do. So, tell me, do you need to be defined or validated by others? You're worried about if you get more ''likes'' than others? That's a middle schoolers mentality.

But, then again it wasn't long ago that I saw the picture you posted of your dad taking you to your first game. :thumbu::thumbu::D

Sometimes he just throws stuff out there that doesn't make any sense just to get a reaction. How many ''likes'' someone gets defines them? :laugh:
I'm going to go post pictures of cute puppies in the general forum to get several batches of likes. Then I'll add the ever classic "posting for rank" in every thread. :laugh:

Bring out some truly xennial early-web tactics.

Reactions: Factorial

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm going to go post pictures of cute puppies in the general forum to get several batches of likes. Then I'll add the ever classic "posting for rank" in every thread. :laugh:

I respect that sort of mindset and tactic. :thumbu:

I would ''like'' this post but I'm on probation. Heck with so many not being able to post'' likes'' due to such infractions, that could very well skew those numbers. Some of the very finest posters we have here who are well thought out, but maybe a bit provocative, can't post ''likes'' from time to time.:nod:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

SEALBound told me to post a poll asking how many people want me to leave HFPens.

Just answering "middle schoolers mentality" with the same type of "middle schoolers mentality".

I could care less what any of you think about my hockey opinions. Also, I have never posted a picture of my dad taking me to my first game lol.

Probably should try that, because your hockey takes are obviously being widely unaccepted via the like caste we all must adhere to here on HFBoards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad