Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not good at comps at all, haha. I dunno a good one for him. Someone with the aforementioned skill sets who can also QB a top PP unit?
He’s a puck mover not a defensive guy IMO. Can break it out himself and loves to hop into the rush. If he scores points in the NHL it’s gonna be via volume of minutes IMO.

Don’t have a great comp but Brady Skjei comes to mind maybe. Not directly comparing but he’s more in the Hanifin/Werenski mold than a Dumo/Petts/Samuelsson.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
He’s a puck mover not a defensive guy IMO. Can break it out himself and loves to hop into the rush. If he scores points in the NHL it’s gonna be via volume of minutes IMO.

Don’t have a great comp but Brady Skjei comes to mind maybe. Not directly comparing but he’s more in the Hanifin/Werenski mold than a Dumo/Petts/Samuelsson.
If you’re referring to Dickinson, he has pretty average puck skills. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a top pair dman. He skates and defends well. I’d say he’s closer to a Pettersson rather than a Werenski/Hanifin.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Off topic but I find it hilarious that every year Leaf fans overhype a different prospect (Cowan). They really think he’d go ahead of Simashev, Reinbacher, Yager and others in a redraft lol.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you’re referring to Dickinson, he has pretty average puck skills. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a top pair dman. He skates and defends well. I’d say he’s closer to a Pettersson rather than a Werenski/Hanifin.
Okay, that lines up a bit more with what I see as well. I wasn't overly impressed with puck moving and offensive instincts and skills. While he's still good I just struggle tonsee how some have him ranked in the 5-8 slots.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Levshunov, Parekh, Buium and Silayev are ahead of Dickinson for me, so far. I’m a tad lower on Silayev but he’s around 10 on my list right now.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Okay, that lines up a bit more with what I see as well. I wasn't overly impressed with puck moving and offensive instincts and skills. While he's still good I just struggle tonsee how some have him ranked in the 5-8 slots.
I do believe he is a guaranteed top4 dman though. Whether that’s a high end #3 or low end #4 is to be determined. Just don’t see a potential top pair guy there.

I think Levshunov, Parekh, Buium and Silayev are ahead of Dickinson for me, so far. I’m a tad lower on Silayev but he’s around 10 on my list right now.
Silayev is interesting. His skating really is great for a guy his size. I fear he might just become a Nikita Zadorov. Sky high potential however.

Reactions: SEALBound

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah I’m saying stylistically he plays nothing like Petts. Dickinson can break it out with his legs and loves to jump into the rush. I agree his puck skills are average but they’re also not bad. Great shot.

Petts has been great the last 2 years but you still have to pair him with a guy that move the puck out of the D-zone. The same could be said for prime Dumoulin.

my point wasn’t that Dickinson will be more or less valuable than either (I think he will but regardless) but that he plays completely different.

Last edited:
Reactions: lokomotiv15

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Off topic but I find it hilarious that every year Leaf fans overhype a different prospect (Cowan). They really think he’d go ahead of Simashev, Reinbacher, Yager and others in a redraft lol.

He wouldn’t go above any in a re-draft necessarily but I have no problem with someone putting Cowan above Yager.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
There isn’t a world where Cowan is a better prospect than Yager, Wood, Simashev, etc.

It doesn’t really matter and no one can see the future but Yager and Cowan are incredibly comparable and it’s perfectly reasonable to prefer one to the other imo.

Similarly ranked before the draft by the best public service in HP so not like it’s out of nowhere. I don’t really get worked up about what Leafs fans think though so I don’t care.

Reactions: Dominance

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Well I hope the Pens are in on Graf and can sign him. RW with some size is still a need here. Can Pens get it done?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well I hope the Pens are in on Graf and can sign him. RW with some size is still a need here. Can Pens get it done?
I imagine he becomes an NHL guy. The last game I watched with him in it, he looked good but not so steller where I'm certain he'll carve out a career in the NHL. Be a nice depth piece for WBS though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There isn’t a world where Cowan is a better prospect than Yager, Wood, Simashev, etc.
Speaking of Cowen, it's kind of crazy that despite his 35 game point streak, he "only" ended up with 96 points this season.

Usually when a player goes on a historic run like that they end the season with some pretty special numbers. But 96 points in junior isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Seems like outside of the point streak he didn't do a whole lot and even during it he seems to have had a lot of games where he just kept the streak going with a single point.

Again, nothing "bad" about the streak or his overall production. Just doesn't seem like a very high total for someone with that kind of streak.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There was a redraft thread on the prospects forum and every one had Yager going lower. Some goobers had Honzek and Barlow ahead of him. We’re not doing a good enough job selling our own prospects.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Teams like Detroit and Seattle will be under some real pressure next year to win and make playoffs. Pens have some players that can help them. Graff has some talent here and can develop in the AHL for a year as he gains strength and experience.

Last edited:

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
There was a redraft thread on the prospects forum and every one had Yager going lower. Some goobers had Honzek and Barlow ahead of him. We’re not doing a good enough job selling our own prospects.
We will not stoop down the level of leafs fans lol.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2023 redrafts are f***ing Pejorative Slured. The top 3 and Benson are in the NHL. No one else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad