McKenzie: Pittsburgh doesn't want to put Condon on waivers; may trade him

Status
Not open for further replies.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Just saw on TSN: Insider Trading, Bob McKenzie said that even though Matt Murray is back this week, the Penguins don't want to put Mike Condon on waivers and risk losing him. He said they will either keep him on the roster, or move him in a trade. You'd have to think if there were a market for him, Montreal would have dealt him but...

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I can't see any team trading for the guy when he was on waivers and made it to the last team on the priority list. That means no team wants him even for free except maybe Montreal since they are the ones that had him originally

I can't see why Bob would report such a thing as news

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I can't see any team trading for the guy when he was on waivers and made it to the last team on the priority list. That means no team wants him even for free except maybe Montreal since they are the ones that had him originally

Penguins weren't last. The waiver order based on last seasons regular season standings (for a little longer, at least), not playoff results.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
In other words they're going to try and trade him to the Kings. But Budaj is 4-0. They'll nab him off waivers if need be.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I was under the impression that you had to wait until July 1st to trade somebody you grabbed on waivers. Unless you put them on waivers again and they clear.

And if he clears again to make him a tradeable asset, the fact that he cleared means his value is minimal.

Can anybody who knows more than I do confirm or deny this?

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
In other words they're going to try and trade him to the Kings. But Budaj is 4-0. They'll nab him off waivers if need be.

Yeah **** that, Zatkoff might be returning soon and Budaj is holding his own. No need to unnecessarily give up assets...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was under the impression that you had to wait until July 1st to trade somebody you grabbed on waivers. Unless you put them on waivers again and they clear.

And if he clears again to make him a tradeable asset, the fact that he cleared means his value is minimal.

Can anybody who knows more than I do confirm or deny this?

You can trade them if nobody else put in a claim. Pens were 4th last in the priority order, and I doubt the 3 teams behind them put a claim in.

I feel like this might be because they need a goalie to fill the expansion requirement of at least 1 goalie exposed. Right now they can't expose MAF unless he waives, they won't want to expose Murray(if the deal with MAF), and there's nobody else.

Kind of tough to carry 3 goalies all year just so Condon fills that requirement so they're probably looking for some team to trade some scrub who has already cleared waivers maybe. Otherwise they'll hang onto Condon for now?

Though Condon doesn't currently have a contract for next year so even carrying him all year they'd need to extend him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I feel like this might be because they need a goalie to fill the expansion requirement of at least 1 goalie exposed. Right now they can't expose MAF unless he waives, they won't want to expose Murray(if the deal with MAF), and there's nobody else.
Shouldn't be hard to trade for a mediocre or bad goalie prospect entering his third year of pro, and then expose that guy. That qualifies does it not? Or is there an NHL games played minimum?

I'm thinking you can probably get Maxime Lagace from the Dallas Stars for a 5th/6th rounder. Guy playing now in his third full year of AHL/ECHL for the Stars. You'd just have to give him a one year contract extension.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Kings fan here....

he'll clear.

We promise! :naughty:

Edit: Please wait until Nov 1st. When the Waiver order resets to the current year's standings.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

This is kinda of incorrect. Any time a player clears waiver their trade value increases, but it is only slight. This is because now the acquiring team can stash them on their farm team and there is certainly value in that.

As far as your other thing, I'm pretty sure you're correct.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Shouldn't be hard to trade for a mediocre or bad goalie prospect entering his third year of pro, and then expose that guy. That qualifies does it not? Or is there an NHL games played minimum?

I'm thinking you can probably get Maxime Lagace from the Dallas Stars for a 5th/6th rounder. Guy playing now in his third full year of AHL/ECHL for the Stars. You'd just have to give him a one year contract extension.

The goalie needs to have a contract for the 17/18 season or be a qualified RFA I think.

They could probably trade a really late pick for one pretty easy but I think they'd probably wait instead of paying a pick now, but maybe they're trying to see if anyone is willing to give them one that's already cleared waivers for Condon, maybe someone needs a backup goalie for the time being. Both teams get what they want.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
So they'll risk only having 1 extra forward and 1 extra defenseman on long road trips so they can keep a marginal 3rd string goalie around? I really don't understand why they would do this.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So they'll risk only having 1 extra forward and 1 extra defenseman on long road trips so they can keep a marginal 3rd string goalie around? I really don't understand why they would do this.

"Desperate attempt to get anything in return for an asset" is all I can come up with, but hey, it's late.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
"Desperate attempt to get anything in return for an asset" is all I can come up with, but hey, it's late.

It certainly is an odd negotiating tactic. Everyone knows that Rutherford shouldn't risk carrying 3 goalies when his players have been going down like flies so far. I'm not quite sure who Rutherford is expecting to wait out.

It would be nice if we had another team listed as potential landing spots.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Pittsburgh doesn't want to put Condon back on waivers BECAUSE Montreal gets first chance to reclaim him....

No other teams except the Pens put a claim in for Condon....So if Pens don't trade him and put him on waivers,Montreal can reclaim Condon which i think they would do .

"Once a team claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him. If the claiming team places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team claims him, the team may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below"

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
""Once a team claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him."

So they'd only have to offer Condon to the other teams that put in claims (none) and not the team they claimed him from (Montreal)? And at that point he's tradeable?

If that's how it works, then it makes sense that they can trade him now. He's been offered to the (zero) teams that put in claims.

Glad to finally learn exactly how it works.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Things have changed for a few teams. IE kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad