Pittsburgh´s "depleted" blueline.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maatta "might" be done for the season, Ehrhoff suffered an injury last night and is out at least for next 3 games, possibly more.. Bortuzzo is still out and so is Paul Martin. That´s 4 regulars missing at Pens´ D.

The result?

Despres-Letang
Scuderi-Pouliot(1st NHL game)
Harrington(2nd NHL game)-Dumoulin(11th NHL game)

But man, scouts should be ALL OVER this Penguins game. That´s some young talent right there, even with Maatta out.

Nei1ey*

These are all young NHL defense men prospects who should be studs in couple of years, can't wait to watch them play tonight (especially Poulliot) :yo:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
But you get two games in a row against the Panthers. Therefore don't expect to allow more than 3 goals the next two games combined.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Bortuzzo is garbage, teams better off with him injured. I'd also argue he's your 7th dman, so not even technically a starter./regular.

Erhoff is out 3 games....nothing unusual there.

Paul Martin is day to day I believe.

Maatta out all year is definitely terrible and the only thread worthy discussion. You'll have 5 of your top 6 playing this time next week and the sixth could be bortuzzo. Heck, you're very next game u could have Martin and bortuzzo back.....

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, it's a rough defence for one or two games......expect very little sympathy from wpg fans when they see this thread, lol.

And no offence, but Maatta getting the mumps is all on the penguins management. How about when seeing Crosby with an American dad jaw, you quarantine him immediately. Ridiculous.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Bortuzzo is garbage, teams better off with him injured. I'd also argue he's your 7th dman, so not even technically a starter./regular.

Maatta out all year is definitely terrible and the only thread worthy discussion. You'll have 5 of your top 6 playing this time next week and the sixth could be bortuzzo. Heck, you're very next game u could have Martin and bortuzzo back.....

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, it's a rough defence for one or two games......expect very little sympathy from wpg fans when they see this thread, lol.

And no offence, but Maatta getting the mumps is all on the penguins management. How about when seeing Crosby with an American dad jaw, you quarantine him immediately. Ridiculous.

Well, he doesn't have a locker room stall anymore. Sounds kind of serious to me.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
AT LEAST three games (through the break)

Thank goodness you have one of the deepest sets of defence prospects to call up. Wpgs ahl affiliate had their top 3 defenceman injured while losing top 4 on their nhl team. Calling up poulet for two games against Florida sounds pretty amazing by comparison.

And at least three games includes the number three.....so three games until we hear otherwise.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

No one is panicking in Pittsburgh. We all know that these kids can play and we all know that our situation is not as ridiculous as Winnipeg´s.

That said, Bortuzzo is a decent 3rd pair defenseman, not exactly garbage. And this thread was made because it´s certainly very interesting blueline, even if it´s jiust short-term. Pouliot making a debut, Harrington playing his 2nd NHL game... I mean it´s not like this happens everyday.

MovesLikeJagr68

Mar 26, 2012
Meh, I'll still take this situation over last years when we had 5 of our top 6 guys out (including our entire top 4).

Pumped to watch Pouliot tonight.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
What happened to Määttä?
Shoulder problems again. His surgery might have gone wrong in the summer..

That said, everybody is talking about how Boston is suffering because of their D injuries. In fact, they are almost healthy for 2 weeks now. Pittsburgh on the other hand has the best record in the league with almost half of their roster injured for a while.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
We have Crosby and Malkin so we're not allowed to complain.

Am I doing the normally typical response right?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I don't get what the problem is. Sure, it sucks to lose Maatta, but replacing him and others by top prospects in Harrington and Pouliot?

Oh the horror.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jets and Ducks know the feeling. Sucks about Maattaa, the kid can't catch a break.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Shoulder problems again. His surgery might have gone wrong in the summer..

That said, everybody is talking about how Boston is suffering because of their D injuries. In fact, they are almost healthy for 2 weeks now. Pittsburgh on the other hand has the best record in the league with almost half of their roster injured for a while.

Great, be jealous of our injuries

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Wrong. Bortuzzo is a quality bottom pair defenseman.

Except it's a continuation of rotten luck from last year, which makes it noteworthy.

Did the Jets lap the competition in man games lost last year?

How healthy are the Jets forwards?

Exactly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...Jets' top 4 D all out at least a month, some more. Our current top D-man (Byfuglien) hadn't played a shift there since last January.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Didn't we have a defense with Carl Sneep on it in 11-12?

Yep, played against Buffalo and had an assist. Malkin had a hat trick in that game and Deryk Engelland and Jason Williams both scored, Miller was awful. Pens scored 8 goals with an AHL line up.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Letang's mettle will definitely be tested as well...

He's no stranger to tough minutes of course, but they're going to be relying on him more than ever with that D lineup.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
But you get two games in a row against the Panthers. Therefore don't expect to allow more than 3 goals the next two games combined.

it seems to me for the last seasons they always lose at least a game or two againt the Cats.

Letang's mettle will definitely be tested as well...

He's no stranger to tough minutes of course, but they're going to be relying on him more than ever with that D lineup.

they always do that when he's healthy. nothing new. you need to watch more Pens hockey.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yep, played against Buffalo and had an assist. Malkin had a hat trick in that game and Deryk Engelland and Jason Williams both scored, Miller was awful. Pens scored 8 goals with an AHL line up.

Samuelsson was dressed in that game to I think, and whoever are AHL vet was at the time (Dylan Reese?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad