Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VAN] Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Every franchise except the very best and the very worst seems to have a player who gets scapegoated.

Sometimes it’s a star, but more often it’s a 4/5 defenceman or middle six winger who, through circumstance - contract, acquisition, role, initial impression - isn’t allowed to just blend in and be accepted for who he is.

That was Gudbranson on Vancouver.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And your dark horse Trade Deadline winners: The PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
It’s posts like this that justify all the Canuck fans coming into this thread to crap on Gudbranson. I’m sure the Lightning and Bruins (i.e.) are terrified of facing a third pairing featuring one, if not two (Maata), of the slowest DMen in the league.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Guess who no longer has the leagues worst +/-

giphy.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It’s posts like this that justify all the Canuck fans coming into this thread to crap on Gudbranson. I’m sure the Lightning and Bruins (i.e.) are terrified of facing a third pairing featuring one, if not two (Maata), of the slowest DMen in the league.

How does that justify anything? The Pens D had looked good for the first time all season since the deadline. If that's "justification," then you need to stop being so sensitive. This thread is ridiculous and your post is too.

The end of your post is completely irrelevant and the same old **** that we have seen in this thread the whole time. You're adding to it because a Pens fan thought his team did good. lol. Pathetic. The Pens have won with Maatta, they've won with Hal Gill, they have won with Rob Scuderi. They have won with Ron Hainsey. Stop talking.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pearson has been better in Vancouver
Gudbrason has been better in Pittsburgh.

Change of scenery worked.

Now everyone let this thread die.

I don't know that Pearson has been better in Vancouver, but I also say that meaning that I don't think Pearson was bad in Pittsburgh. I think he got a ton on unfair slack from Penguins fans because he's crazy vanilla. He's a solid middle-6er that's having a bad year, I don't know why so many Penguins fans talked **** on him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
How does that justify anything? The Pens D had looked good for the first time all season since the deadline. If that's "justification," then you need to stop being so sensitive. This thread is ridiculous and your post is too.

The end of your post is completely irrelevant and the same old **** that we have seen in this thread the whole time. You're adding to it because a Pens fan thought his team did good. lol. Pathetic. The Pens have won with Maatta, they've won with Hal Gill, they have won with Rob Scuderi. They have won with Ron Hainsey. Stop talking.
And where are they sitting right now? Are they even in the Playoffs? I can assure you; the Lightning, Capitals, Blue Jackets and Bruins are salivating over the possibility of Gudbranson playing meaningful minutes in the POs, something he has NEVER done during his entire career. He had a couple decent games? Great. I guess that makes a career worth of irrelevance forgettable, right. Come on, stop buying it, it’s not the elixir for which you are searching.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Do Canucks fans really have to come in here after every good game Gudbranson has and screech about how bad he was for Vancouver? We get it, he sucked for you. It's also entirely possible that he sucked for you guys while not being a bad player.

So far, he has been solid for the Penguins. You guys don't need to let Penguins fans know what they should think about Gudbranson's play here based on his play in Vancouver. I think it's really obvious that Gudbranson's performance in Vancouver isn't indicative of the caliber of player he is, Gudbranson even said that himself. I'll wait and see on Gudbranson instead of concluding Gudbranson sucks because Luke Schenn has been better for Vancouver or something.

He's been one of the worst defensemen in the NHL over a 450 game sample, what he has proven is that he is a horrible player. What exactly does he need to show you to conclude he doesn't suck? He's not magically going to become an NHL defenseman because he changes teams. He still can't skate, has horrible puck skills, and has no hockey IQ.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And where are they sitting right now? Are they even in the Playoffs? I can assure you; the Lightning, Capitals, Blue Jackets and Bruins are salivating over the possibility of Gudbranson playing meaningful minutes in the POs, something he has NEVER done during his entire career. He had a couple decent games? Great. I guess that makes a career worth of irrelevance forgettable, right. Come on, stop buying it, it’s not the elixir for which you are searching.
And speak of the devil. 4-1 when you both need the points and the POs are on the line. The good news is the +1 Gudbranson was tonight brings him to a cumulative +1 for his last 5. Aside from a +3 against MTL, Guddy is now a net EVEN during his time with the Pens. Perhaps we should reserve our judgement that the Pens “low key won the Trade Deadline,” until the Pens actually make the POs shall we?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I really hope Gudbranson plays well and really sticks it to the analytics community here in Vancouver.

Here is one Vancouver fan that wishes Erik nothing but the best, and I’m glad that he was able to get away from the possible toxcicity.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yikes. Regardless of whether Gudbranson was/is the worst defenseman in the league, the very vocal critics in this thread either need a break from their hobby or seek a mental evaluation; ideally both.

Easily the best post in this thread and I completely agree.

Erik Gudbranson did not play well in Vancouver (often times, it can simply be a mismatch of systems between the way a player plays and the system that a team tries to implement), but a toxic Canucks blog in Vancouver (Canucks Army) has unfortunately developed a very toxic and brainwashed cult like following. Many of these “supporters” don’t even watch hockey, and simply study advanced analytics (which is Canucks Army’s claim to fame).

Some of the personal attacks that were levied against Erik were beyond ridiculous. My hope is that Gudbranson didn’t pay too much attention to that, and that he rediscovers his game in Pittsburgh. I really hope he does well over there so that Canucks Army and their cult like following can shut the f*** up for once.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's been one of the worst defensemen in the NHL over a 450 game sample, what he has proven is that he is a horrible player. What exactly does he need to show you to conclude he doesn't suck? He's not magically going to become an NHL defenseman because he changes teams. He still can't skate, has horrible puck skills, and has no hockey IQ.

The people who judge players based solely on their analytics are the people that invalidate any credibility that analytics bring.

Gudbranson was a nightmare for the Canucks. He was also fine for the Panthers, and has been fine for the Penguins in a very short sample size. I'm willing to bet that he'll be closer to what he was on the Panthers than what he was on the Canucks going forward.

And speak of the devil. 4-1 when you both need the points and the POs are on the line. The good news is the +1 Gudbranson was tonight brings him to a cumulative +1 for his last 5. Aside from a +3 against MTL, Guddy is now a net EVEN during his time with the Pens. Perhaps we should reserve our judgement that the Pens “low key won the Trade Deadline,” until the Pens actually make the POs shall we?

First off, your stats are just wrong. Gudbranson is a +3 in his last 5 games, all of which were for the Penguins. Crazy thought, maybe his play in Vancouver is totally irrelevant for how he's doing for the Penguins! For you analytics watchers out there, Gudbranson with the Penguins has a 10.11% CF%Rel, 33.84% GF%Rel and 13.63% HDCF%Rel at ES and has only been on the ice for 1 ES goal against in 5 games. But I can't wait to hear how he sucks because Luke Schenn has been less ass for the Canucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You do realize statistically outside of scoring points Gudbranson was the best defenseman on the ice for the Pens in terms of CF FF Rel C and SCF%.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The people who judge players based solely on their analytics are the people that invalidate any credibility that analytics bring.

Gudbranson was a nightmare for the Canucks. He was also fine for the Panthers, and has been fine for the Penguins in a very short sample size. I'm willing to bet that he'll be closer to what he was on the Panthers than what he was on the Canucks going forward.

First off, your stats are just wrong. Gudbranson is a +3 in his last 5 games, all of which were for the Penguins. Crazy thought, maybe his play in Vancouver is totally irrelevant for how he's doing for the Penguins! For you analytics watchers out there, Gudbranson with the Penguins has a 10.11% CF%Rel, 33.84% GF%Rel and 13.63% HDCF%Rel at ES and has only been on the ice for 1 ES goal against in 5 games. But I can't wait to hear how he sucks because Luke Schenn has been less ass for the Canucks.

It's pathetic for how much you sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend. The fact that you're seriously bringing up the Penguins losing 4-1 tonight, after they've won the previous 3 games with Gudbranson playing well, just shows how much you're acting like a jealous ex-girlfriend.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't know that Pearson has been better in Vancouver, but I also say that meaning that I don't think Pearson was bad in Pittsburgh. I think he got a ton on unfair slack from Penguins fans because he's crazy vanilla. He's a solid middle-6er that's having a bad year, I don't know why so many Penguins fans talked **** on him.

I agree.. It took James Neal a year to adjust early in his Pens career before he took off..I think some players need time after a trade.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

It's pathetic for how much you sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend. The fact that you're seriously bringing up the Penguins losing 4-1 tonight, after they've won the previous 3 games with Gudbranson playing well, just shows how much you're acting like a jealous ex-girlfriend.

He was not “fine for the Panthers”. He was a train wreck.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Gudbranson is trash. A few good games don’t erase his entire career. Will be fun bumping this thread when he goes back to his usual traffic cone self. Nothing will be as sweet as the Pens missing the playoffs though.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You do realize statistically outside of scoring points Gudbranson was the best defenseman on the ice for the Pens in terms of CF FF Rel C and SCF%.
I’m sure people that deal in analytics will tell you how valuable Gudbransons 5-game sample size with the Pens has been and now you want to trumpet a 1-game sample size in a game in which the Pens were thoroughly handled and played most of the game from behind as one of Gudbranson’s “good” games. Good on you I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m sure people that deal in analytics will tell you how valuable Gudbransons 5-game sample size with the Pens has been and now you want to trumpet a 1-game sample size in a game in which the Pens were thoroughly handled and played most of the game from behind as one of Gudbranson’s “good” games. Good on you I guess.

His five game sample was right in line with his performance last night.

Why do you hate Gudbranson so much? Seems like he was a class act aside from his miserable defensive play while in Vancouver which judging by the Canucks record since he was traded doesn’t seem like it was entirely on him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad