Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VAN] Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Hope the trade works out for both teams; I think changing conferences will help both guys.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
My heart sank when I saw the move. Still think it’s brutal. I know his track record is legitimately atrocious and I’d undo the trade if I could.....

but he really has been completely fine so far. And I think everyone has him under a microscope every time we see him lumber on to the ice.

Will it last? Hopefully, but likely not. But I do want to give credit where it’s due and he’s played 2 sound games so far.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It’s really insightful when people go on YouTube to crap on a player instead of actually watching him play for his new team. The Pens are down Letang, Dumo, and Maatta and he’s doing a great job filling in and playing 20 mins a night. He’s got 1 assist and a plus 2 (-27 for Van) in his 2 games with the Pens.
This is literally Sportsnet coverage from a live broadcast

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
My heart sank when I saw the move. Still think it’s brutal. I know his track record is legitimately atrocious and I’d undo the trade if I could.....

but he really has been completely fine so far. And I think everyone has him under a microscope every time we see him lumber on to the ice.

Will it last? Hopefully, but likely not. But I do want to give credit where it’s due and he’s played 2 sound games so far.

As bad as he was, he wasn't a tire fire every night. He would have stretches where he did a solid job as a #4-6 level defenseman. But when things went bad they went really bad. There's always the possibility of a new team/system helping, but I'd imagine it's mostly the extra jump from a change of scenery you often get from players.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He did the same for Johnson.

Good young Dman, still only 22. Should improve.

If the Pens ever have a healthy Dcore, they'll be set in the top 4 with;

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz

Your Pettersson ain't too bad himself.
I said it when the Pettersson Sprong trade happened that pittsburgh low key won the deal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s really insightful when people go on YouTube to crap on a player instead of actually watching him play for his new team. The Pens are down Letang, Dumo, and Maatta and he’s doing a great job filling in and playing 20 mins a night. He’s got 1 assist and a plus 2 (-27 for Van) in his 2 games with the Pens.

20190303_220040.png

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I like Pittsburgh have notoriously been a huge Crosby fan on here and my favourite cup win as a fan was Crosby in 16.

I have no issue with Penguins fans saying he’s been good the past 2 games. But to question Canucks fan who watched this junk player constantly cost the team games and blame the organization for his junk play is laughable.

He was absolutely brutal for us one of the worst NHL players I’ve ever seen and the most unlikeable Canuck of this era.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like Pittsburgh have notoriously been a huge Crosby fan on here and my favourite cup win as a fan was Crosby in 16.

I have no issue with Penguins fans saying he’s been good the past 2 games. But to question Canucks fan who watched this junk player constantly cost the team games and blame the organization for his junk play is laughable.

He was absolutely brutal for us one of the worst NHL players I’ve ever seen
and the most unlikeable Canuck of this era.

I agree that when looking at the stats from his time in Vancouver he was terrible. I get it. Trust me we all get it - that's the only reason why this thread is 16 pages and almost 800 posts long. But that doesn't change the fact that in his very limited sample size for us so far, he's been outstanding - even more so considering that we were missing our entire top pairing (Letang+Dumoulin) as well as another top 4D (Maatta) and we were asking more out of him then we normally would if healthy.

And while I was extremely weary of the deal (and that's being generous) when it was announced and still have hesitations and concerns, all I can judge him on is what he's done for us, because I'll be frank - I couldn't give two shits about Vancouver or what their players do. I mean personally there's very few teams I dislike more than Vancouver. But I'm not going to judge a player who's no longer on that team by how he played when he was on that team - not when I can look at what he's done on his new team. And if like in this case the sample size is basically non-existent, then I'll take that into account. But at the end of the day what he does in Pittsburgh is a lot more important then what he did in Vancouver when looking at his performance.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

This is a prime example. 1st goal - nothing he can do and just unlucky bounces. 2nd goal - he played it pretty well, just a really nice play and no support. 3rd goal - Yeah, horrible gap but I can see his thought process from the goal before. I'm just going to take the man this time and not rely on my teammates to be where they need to be. 4th goal - Unlucky he ran into the goalie but it happens. Then he gets bumped into the net??? Clearly a rough night. I could maybe blame 2 goals on him but like I said his teammates were no help.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Canucks fans are aware that Gudbranson could have been a tire fire for their team but not be a horrendous player on other teams, right? How he does with the Penguins going forward remains to be seen, but so far, he has looked good. He hasn't been amazing or anything, but he has looked perfectly solid.

Reactions: Riptide

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
its been 2 games and he's been fine. We'll see how he looks with fewer minutes too when letang and dumoulin get back.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This is a prime example. 1st goal - nothing he can do and just unlucky bounces. 2nd goal - he played it pretty well, just a really nice play and no support. 3rd goal - Yeah, horrible gap but I can see his thought process from the goal before. I'm just going to take the man this time and not rely on my teammates to be where they need to be. 4th goal - Unlucky he ran into the goalie but it happens. Then he gets bumped into the net??? Clearly a rough night. I could maybe blame 2 goals on him but like I said his teammates were no help.
Lol that’s being generous. He makes plays like that on a nightly basis. Just putrid..

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ah I remember the days of Pens fans saying Oleksiak was an absolute steal for a 4th round pick and that he was incredibly good with Pittsburgh in his first several games and definitely gonna be a top 4 dman and turn it around because they had gotten good dmen from us before, and us Stars fans just sat back and laughed and said just wait.

He fell back down to earth. He improved slightly from a #8 to a #5-6, but they jumped to conclusions so fast. They're doing the same thing with Gudbranson.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Canucks fans are aware that Gudbranson could have been a tire fire for their team but not be a horrendous player on other teams, right? How he does with the Penguins going forward remains to be seen, but so far, he has looked good. He hasn't been amazing or anything, but he has looked perfectly solid.

Like Schultz for Edmonton.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Ah I remember the days of Pens fans saying Oleksiak was an absolute steal for a 4th round pick and that he was incredibly good with Pittsburgh in his first several games and definitely gonna be a top 4 dman and turn it around because they had gotten good dmen from us before, and us Stars fans just sat back and laughed and said just wait.

He fell back down to earth. He improved slightly from a #8 to a #5-6, but they jumped to conclusions so fast. They're doing the same thing with Gudbranson.

Show us where any Pens fans jumped to conclusions about Gudbranson as the trade happened? 99% of HF Pens hated and currently hate the deal and all that has been said was through 2 games he's been serviceable. Cautiously optimistic that he "may" continue the trend isn't jumping to conclusions. I mean yeah..we will hold out hope it works out:laugh:

As for Oleksiak, I guess the Stars missed him a lot. Thought he did fine overall in Pittsburgh. I didn't like the trade back to Dallas at first but am over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad