Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] PART II (see OP)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder how much squawking the league is hearing from other GMs about this deal. The first try at the deal was rejected because Vegas was literally giving up nothing to Ottawa. I don't think the changes make it much better, the deal looks shiesty af to me. Vegas essentially enabling Pittsburgh to circumvent the salary cap. As somebody has posted, Pittsburgh gifted them Fleury and we know the NHL is a big old boys network so when Rutherford needed help he immediately cashed in his IOU with McPhee.

That the original deal was rejected is evidence that Pittsburgh was indeed trying to circumvent the cap, I don't think Vegas gave up enough to take that stink away.

No, the original deal was vetoed because it was set up as a 3-way trade, not separate trades. Vegas couldn't retain money on Brassard, since they never owned him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
i like the trade but man pittsburgh has given up a lot of assets to end up with Brassard.

1st 2017, 1st 2018, 3rd 2019, 4th 2018, Gustavsson, Sundquist, Cole for 3rd 2018, Lindberg, Dunn and 40% Brassard

Well that is the most nonobjective post I have seen in a while. Let’s look at this objectively. Pens first drop 20 spots in the draft and trade Sundqvist who would never be in the Pens top 12 on any Cup contending team and will be lucky to stick in the NHL as a 4th line player at best for Reaves who was a great deterrent to teams being thugs against us. I am a long time season ticket holder and I will just say go back and watch the games from last year to this year and you will see a big difference in how our team has been treated. We then flip Reaves for $2 million in cap space which allows us to bring in a Center who has been a #1 Center in this league including being the #2 point producer 2 years in a row for a good Rangers team in 2015 and 2016 seasons. That cap space is worth dropping 20 spots in the draft any day for a team like ours. I would gladly do it again for another $2 million in space. So I think we got our value back for Reaves that we traded for him. Also Reaves became expendable when we traded for Oleksiak who is a great enforcer also that can also play on our 3rd pairing. Reaves became redundant at that point.

As far as what we gave up for Brassard I think it was a great deal for us. Cole and Reaves are both UFA’s and most likely not coming back and a very late 1st that any player from that pick does not help this team in our cores window of best chance Cup winning time (3 year window). Gus was a good goalie prospect but when you have Murray 23 and Jarry 22 he was not part of this cores window either. This is like the Kessel deal which none of the pieces traded would help this team even now and Kessel has helped us win 2 Cups during that time and is in the top 10 in scoring and has almost as many playoff points during the Cup wins as Crosby and Malkin.

I love this deal because not only does it make us better this year but also next season as well when we still have the whole team back again. Only will need to sign Hornqvist and with the cap going up and this $2 million cap savings thanks to Vegas we can very easily fit him in the cap.

Also you forgot the 3rd round pick from the Sens which is close to our 2nd round pick. So let’s be genuine when discussing this deal and the Reaves original deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bumpus and td_ice

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I wonder how much squawking the league is hearing from other GMs about this deal. The first try at the deal was rejected because Vegas was literally giving up nothing to Ottawa. I don't think the changes make it much better, the deal looks shiesty af to me. Vegas essentially enabling Pittsburgh to circumvent the salary cap. As somebody has posted, Pittsburgh gifted them Fleury and we know the NHL is a big old boys network so when Rutherford needed help he immediately cashed in his IOU with McPhee.

That the original deal was rejected is evidence that Pittsburgh was indeed trying to circumvent the cap, I don't think Vegas gave up enough to take that stink away.

We gifted Vegas Fleury? That is not what happened, at all.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Future assets, frankly, are little more than currency with an expiration date on it to a team in the Penguins situation right now. How many teams ever have a legitimate chance for winning three in a row, especially in a capped league? You gotta take it when something like that is on the table. Even if whoever is taken in those drafts works out, they're highly unlikely to arrive in Pittsburgh while the window is still wide open.

Plus, I mean...the Pens have ranked absurdly low on prospect lists for years as it is, yet still keep finding contributors because of the development system in place. The Pens had the top rated prospect pool here when I started posting and barely got anything out of that.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The link to the previous thread is here. Just so everybody - myself included - understands...

To OTT: Cole (PIT), Gustavsson (PIT), PIT 1st 2018 (PIT), PIT 3rd 2019 (PIT)
To VGK: Reaves (PIT), VAN 4th 2018 (PIT)
TO PIT: Brassard (OTT; VGK retaining 40%), Lindberg (VGK), Dunn (OTT), OTT 3rd 2018 (OTT)

I think I just give up understanding any trades involving Ottawa. Apart from the fact it's black magic, and it will backfire.

Reactions: BHD and BigEezyE22

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You're not including the 2nd rounder that the Penguins got back in the Reaves trade.

This thread sums up all of the trades. To summarize, it was:

1. Vegas trades Lindberg to Pittsburgh for Pittsburgh's 2019 3rd
2. Vegas trades Pittsburgh's 2019 3rd to Ottawa for Brassard
3. Vegas trades Brassard with 40% retention to Pittsburgh for Reaves and Vancouver's 2018 4th (acquired in the Pouliot deal)
4. Pittsburgh trades Cole, Gustavsson and a 2018 1st to Ottawa for Dunn and a 2018 3rd

when you see it spelt out this way... I start to change my position. origionally I was all good for them... if the rules allow it, then I applaude. I wish my team would get more creative

but this... this kind of reeks... the huge red flag here is obviously vegas paying money to make the trade possible between Ottawa and Pittsburgh. I don't mind that but vegas actually does deserve to be compensated for their part in it

trades 2 and 4... are jokes for value... a thumb up the nose to the system. not remotely close to value. but trade number 3 just makes vegas look absolutely Pejorative Slured... or blackmailed... or words fail me but... yeah... no... no no no

I realize vegas couldn't keep brassard without breaking their promise to Ottawa and Pittsburgh and in nhl, your word is necessary to conduct business... but the optics of this just plain out suck

I'm not sure I have the answer how to stop this from happening in the future... but shame on vegas. shame shame. if you are going to do crap like this, at least get a decent payoff.

we have all been led to believe that eating another teams salary cap problems is worth a high pick or a prized prospect. if Ottawa and Pittsburgh wanted to get away with this crap, they should have been forced to pay for it.

be fair next time and above board and more honest

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
when you see it spelt out this way... I start to change my position. origionally I was all good for them... if the rules allow it, then I applaude. I wish my team would get more creative

but this... this kind of reeks... the huge red flag here is obviously vegas paying money to make the trade possible between Ottawa and Pittsburgh. I don't mind that but vegas actually does deserve to be compensated for their part in it

trades 2 and 4... are jokes for value... a thumb up the nose to the system. not remotely close to value. but trade number 3 just makes vegas look absolutely ******ed... or blackmailed... or words fail me but... yeah... no... no no no

I realize vegas couldn't keep brassard without breaking their promise to Ottawa and Pittsburgh and in nhl, your word is necessary to conduct business... but the optics of this just plain out suck

I'm not sure I have the answer how to stop this from happening in the future... but shame on vegas. shame shame. if you are going to do crap like this, at least get a decent payoff.

we have all been led to believe that eating another teams salary cap problems is worth a high pick or a prized prospect. if Ottawa and Pittsburgh wanted to get away with this crap, they should have been forced to pay for it.

They did pay for it.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

trades 2 and 4... are jokes for value... a thumb up the nose to the system. not remotely close to value. but trade number 3 just makes vegas look absolutely ******ed... or blackmailed... or words fail me but... yeah... no... no no no

Vegas gave up cap space that has virtually no value to them and they got a pick, a 4th liner and they kept Brassard off of the Jets.

They gave up nothing of value and got stuff in return.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm still pissed about Reaves. His skills do not translate to what Vegas is doing on a nightly basis. He's going to slow whatever line he is on down.

This was my reaction when the Penguins acquired him. Sadly I can't say he ever came close to winning me over.

I really don't get GMGM insisting on him.

He'll definitely be a positive factor in the locker room, by all accounts, at least.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Yeah. What a joke. Retaining salary as a third party should not happen. This makes the NHL look like a minor league outfit!!

But...why? I think this makes it more interesting as it adds another element to the trade market that could increase the trade activity around the league.

Reactions: Shoofyou10

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Vegas gave up cap space that has virtually no value to them and they got a pick, a 4th liner and they kept Brassard off of the Jets.

They gave up nothing of value and got stuff in return.

Everybody wins! I think all 3 teams got what they wanted. Sens get 1st round pick, the goalie prospect they wanted, and Cole will at least get them another 2nd. Vegas gets a 4th and Reaves who they insisted be part of the deal and this comes directly from JR. Pens get a top line Center for the next 2 Cup runs for only a $3 million dollar cap hit.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Well that is the most nonobjective post I have seen in a while. Let’s look at this objectively. Pens first drop 20 spots in the draft and trade Sundqvist who would never be in the Pens top 12 on any Cup contending team and will be lucky to stick in the NHL as a 4th line player at best for Reaves who was a great deterrent to teams being thugs against us. I am a long time season ticket holder and I will just say go back and watch the games from last year to this year and you will see a big difference in how our team has been treated. We then flip Reaves for $2 million in cap space which allows us to bring in a Center who has been a #1 Center in this league including being the #2 point producer 2 years in a row for a good Rangers team in 2015 and 2016 seasons. That cap space is worth dropping 20 spots in the draft any day for a team like ours. I would gladly to it again for another $2 million in space. So I think we got our value back for Reaves that we traded for him. Also Reaves became expendable when we traded for Oleksiak who is a great enforcer also that can also play on our 3rd pairing. Reaves became redundant at that point.

As far as what we gave up for Brassard I think it was a great deal for us. Cole and Reaves are both UFA’s and most likely not coming back and a very late 1st that any player from that pick does not help this team in our cores window of best chance Cup winning time (3 year window). Gus was a good goalie prospect but when you have Murray 23 and Jarry 22 he was not part of this cores window either. This is like the Kessel deal which non of the pieces traded would help this team even now and Kessel has helped us win 2 Cups during that time and is in the top 10 in scoring and has almost as many playoff points during the Cup wins as Crosby and Malkin.

I love this deal because not only does it make us better this year but also next season as well when we still have the whole team back again. Only will need to sign Hornqvist and with the cap going up and this $2 million cap savings thanks to Vegas we can very easily fit him in the cap.

Summed up very well

We are in win now, those potential draft picks mean nothing presently. We have a window of success and this is it . Sitting on 2 cups the last 2 years and setting the team up nicely for a 3rd run. That's all you can ask from the team and management.

I'm not too concerned on what I hear from most others fans you can sense the hatred towards the success in their post. For years when we had solid defense prospects and no winger depth they said we had nothing. Now look at that winger depth

For years we have been told that we have so much money locked up into Fleury, Crosby, Malkin Letang etc. Yet have managed to pick up big name players like Hossa, Kessel, Iginla, Neal, Hornqvist, Perron, Haglin, Brassard etc.

For years they told us our defense sucks and look at what we have won 2 cups with. We've taken on defensive projects like Niskanen, Cole, Shultz etc and developed them into solid players for the team.

The time to win is now and I am fully confident that the ownership will address the issues when needed down the road. A+ organization

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
i like the trade but man pittsburgh has given up a lot of assets to end up with Brassard.

1st 2017, 1st 2018, 3rd 2019, 4th 2018, Gustavsson, Sundquist, Cole for 3rd 2018, Lindberg, Dunn and 40% Brassard

That 1st in 2017 was actually moving down 20 spots in the draft because they won the cup on got St.Louis's 2nd in return. Also, the trade was done and I don't think it's fair to look at it this way... because you made a bad move to start with all the assets acquired are compromised??

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
McPhee is just lucky
His moves have been garbage
Time will tell

He's acquiring picks while putting together a winner. I was skeptical of what he was doing, too, but with this magical run - he's also hedging for the future, too. It's a win/win situation for him right now.

Stop wanting it to lose so bad. Admit you were wrong, like I did, and watch it unfold.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
lot of people keep mentionoing that i think it was the other way around. McPhee helped Rutherford for taking Flower and his cap hit off of pens' roster; and he gave a 2nd to McPhee to make sure that he takes Fleury

Nah.

MAF had a stellar playoffs and JR could have reneged on his promise to McPhee and moved MAF for a really nice package. Then put a guy like like McGuire as his unprotected goalie.

JR kept his word, and McPhee got his franchise guy and a second.

Because JR acts with integrity and isn't out to screw other GMs, he has good will built up to make deals like these.

Reactions: harmonica

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Come on this is a bunch of pouting and when teams cheated the cap all the time like the Hawks in the Hossa deal and many other teams doing likewise with fake years added on contracts. Pens never did that. Nothing was wrong with this because Pens found a team willing to take the cap hit and teams do it all the time. Vegas did it for some teams when they took players with big contracts for picks and prospects. Any team can do it. At least someone is paying for the cap not like the fake year contracts like Hossa was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad