Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT] Mike Condon for a 5th in 2017

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Is Anderson leaving the team to be with his wife? Curious trade. Before he came back, I thought Condon was perfect for Ottawa, now...I'm a little confused.
Hammy , is either injured or cant stop a beach ball.Iam good with this move

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hammond is injured.

Hammond is injured, and this gives the Sens/Anderson flexibility to allow him to spend time away from the team if needed.

Probably just as much to allow Ottawa to give Binghamton a non beer league level goalie. They can now send one of Driedger or O'Connor down to start there. Keep Condom/Andy/Driedger up.

They need 3 goalies up in case Andy has to leave on short notice.

Don't think this trade necessarily means he is taking another leave of absence right away. Although, it could.

Hammy , is either injured or cant stop a beach ball.Iam good with this move

I thought Mac said he heard Hammond was inside of 10 days to come back. I guess I can understand it if he's out longterm - and I also understand the move to give Driedger etc. time in the AHL, but what if Andy stays and Hammond comes back, do we ride the dreaded 3 goalie system?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A 5th for a guy that was just on waivers. Dorion gives away picks like it candy on Halloween.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I thought Mac said he heard Hammond was inside of 10 days to come back. I guess I can understand it if he's out longterm - and I also understand the move to give Driedger etc. time in the AHL, but what if Andy stays and Hammond comes back, do we ride the dreaded 3 goalie system?

Nothing to worry about. If Hammond comes back early they have an asset to trade (to LA or wherever) and maybe recoup that pick, or they can sit one in the box. To me, this is a "we're comfortably in a playoff spot now and aren't going to wait until its too late to address the current goalie situation."

Drieg and MOC aren't ready yet for the big leagues.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Nothing to worry about. If Hammond comes back early they have an asset to trade (to LA or wherever) and maybe recoup that pick, or they can sit one in the box. To me, this is a "we're comfortably in a playoff spot now and aren't going to wait until its too late to address the current goalie situation."

Drieg and MOC aren't ready yet for the big leagues.

Yeah, fair enough.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
A 5th for a guy that was just on waivers. Dorion gives away picks like it candy on Halloween.

Ya, they didn't need him then. You can't blame the GM for not seeing into the future.

EDIT: I'm just surprised that LA didn't take him when Quick went down. They could have used a decent backup.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Condon should read this book.

15783033._UY475_SS475_.jpg

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah, fair enough.

If they dropped the next few games people would want GMPD's head for not addressing the goalie situation. I like that he's being aggressive and acting quickly. Still, there will be a lot of people who are unhappy that picks are going out the door. (Probably the same ones who were always upset when GMBM didn't make moves and stuck with the status quo.)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If they dropped the next few games people would want GMPD's head for not addressing the goalie situation. I like that he's being aggressive and acting quickly. Still, there will be a lot of people who are unhappy that picks are going out the door. (Probably the same ones who were always upset when GMBM didn't make moves and stuck with the status quo.)

You can always recoup a 5th, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Both of their goalies were healthy when Condon was on waivers, so why the heck would Ottawa have put a claim on him when the price was just the $75k waiver fee?

The Penguins had a hurt goalie who is now healthy. Roles reversed, and unfortunately for the Senators it's a lot easier to skim the waiver wire for a temporary fill-in at the start of the season than it is a month in. Multiple teams needed a goalie, hence the Pens getting a 5th rounder for the guy rather than trying (and inevitably failing) to sneak him through waivers.

That said, as a Pens fan...woohoo, free draft pick! :P

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Both of their goalies were healthy when Condon was on waivers, so why the heck would Ottawa have put a claim on him when the price was just the $75k waiver fee?

The Penguins had a hurt goalie who is now healthy. Roles reversed, and unfortunately for the Senators it's a lot easier to skim the waiver wire for a temporary fill-in at the start of the season than it is a month in.

That said, as a Pens fan...woohoo, free draft pick! :P
So much this :handclap:We had a need it has now been filled for a modest fee .Moving on

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

They are rolling with 3 goalies so Anderson can leave on a whim if/when needed. Maybe there has been a development and Anderson will leave again, but this could be a case where they don't want Driedger and O'Connor to waste away in a 3 goalie situation during a crucial development year and intend to send them both back to the AHL when Hammond is healthy.

Probable aim would be a Andy Condon Hammond trio. They maybe gave up a fifth partially to take them out of a bad situation for Driedger and OConnors development.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Alfredsson was drafted in the sixth round.

But they are usually the exceptions.

Good for Pitt but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I wouldn't sweat it, but a free pick is a free pick and a shot at maybe landing a good player that they wouldn't have had w/o said pick.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
They are rolling with 3 goalies so Anderson can leave on a whim if/when needed. Maybe there has been a development and Anderson will leave again, but this could be a case where they don't want Driedger and O'Connor to waste away in a 3 goalie situation during a crucial development year and intend to send them both back to the AHL when Hammond is healthy.

Probable aim would be a Andy Condon Hammond trio. They maybe gave up a fifth partially to take them out of a bad situation for Driedger and OConnors development.

They did it to try to make the playoffs and win games now. Neither Driedger or O'Connor are NHL quality goalies right now.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
There were people who were skeptical of Rutherford trying to get something for Condon, so I'll take it. A free pick is a free pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Had not heard about inside 10 days.

Given the Sens / Bingo goalie situation we needed to do something in case Anderson missed time. Either way Condon makes 575,000.

The options if needed would be to try to trade Condon or Hammond to recoup a pick
or put Condon on waivers... Likely gets picked up.
Depending on Anderson's wife's prognosis and treatment the uncertainty could be on going off and on.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
A fifth to give Andy the freedom to go be with his wife in this time of need is fine by me. It probably wouldve been a 7th but id say LA was interested too and upped the antu

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well as a Habs fan that's annoying from both sides. We lost him for nothing and now he gets those juicy revenge starts against us. As if we didn't have enough trouble beating Ottawa these days.

Supply and demand, theres no demand early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad