Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Jesse Puljujarvi signs with the Penguins (2 years, $800k AAV)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's actually pretty fair for Puljujarvi right now. He's on a line with Bemstrom and Eller and overall, the line has actually looked really good. Several long offensive zone pressure shift and he's mixed it up just fine. But yeah, zero high danger scoring chances from him.

He's destined to be a bottom 6 - 4th liner on an average day, 3rd liner on his best day - player for the rest of his (what I think will be) short career. Like I don't see anyone signing him after next year. AHL likely or he goes home.

I've watched him a fair bit in the past and I just don't like his hockey sense. Passes when he should carry it or shoot. Takes the wrong angle. Goes to the wrong spot. etc..

Maybe it's an unfair criticism of him but that's what I've felt has held him back some (in addition to the injuries).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's not particularly bad or anything, just not the answer. I will say, I'm starting to get tired of Dubas hoping to strike gold via dumpster diving. I do expect him to make some moves at the TDL, the problem is the Pens are the most they've been in limbo since the mid 2000's, and that's on the Doobler.
Not one to sing the praises of Dubas and his offseason is certainly questionable, but not like Hextall left him with a good situation

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not one to sing the praises of Dubas and his offseason is certainly questionable, but not like Hextall left him with a good situation
No different than the situation he left at his previous job (no picks, prospects or cap space).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1.2M in cap space isn't a ton of cap space. One good prospect isn't a ton of prospects. Are they really contenders with that goaltending?
North of 5M current cap space.
Definitely more than one good prospect unless Nadeau, Morrow, Ponomarev, and Blake all died and I haven't read about it.
I mean, the Canes have a guy posting a .930 since taking over as starter

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
1.2M in cap space isn't a ton of cap space. One good prospect isn't a ton of prospects. Are they really contenders with that goaltending?
they have 1.2 mil in cap space but they can take on a players contract of 5 mil right now (if i am reading capfriendly correctly)

amazing side note if i am indeed correct on the above statement....red wings have 11.8 mil in cap space :-o

Reactions: DaveG

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly pretty impressed. 800k

He's hustling out there doing everything he can. Honestly our bottom 6 has a lot of nothing. I'd rather have Puljarvi out there then other players.

A reminder to people he isn't getting paid a few million to score goals. He's barely above league minimum in one of the worse bottom 6s in the league.

Reactions: uncleben

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
North of 5M current cap space.
Definitely more than one good prospect unless Nadeau, Morrow, Ponomarev, and Blake all died and I haven't read about it.
I mean, the Canes have a guy posting a .930 since taking over as starter
Huh? Where are you getting that info from? That's completely wrong. That's how big of a cap hit they could add at the deadline. They have 1.2 in cap space.

I only count prospects likely to make the NHL as good prospects. Every team in the league has multiple prospects in the category you described. I'm not a Leafs fan, but they have better prospects than the guys you listed. Nikishin it the only prospect of note.

The Hurricanes have no goalies at .930. Not sure what you're talking about. I mean if we're going to isolate small game sample sizes over larger ones Nikita Zadorov has a 4 goal game and is on pace for 328 goals per season in that game. They Hurricanes have .893 goaltending.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
100%, however, it's on Doobler to set a clear vision for the org from here forward. 8 months ago, he threw the house at the defending Norris winner. Today, people are asking if we are going to sell half the team. Pick a lane and commit. We are getting tired of his waiver wire dumpster diving.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
they have 1.2 mil in cap space but they can take on a players contract of 5 mil right now (if i am reading capfriendly correctly)

amazing side note if i am indeed correct on the above statement....red wings have 11.8 mil in cap space :-o
Yes that's correct. How big of a cap hit you can take on is different from having cap space. It includes LTIR and the prorated amount. The closer you get to the deadline the bigger the number gets assuming you're banking space.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Huh? Where are you getting that info from? That's completely wrong. That's how big of a cap hit they could add at the deadline. They have 1.2 in cap space.

I only count prospects likely to make the NHL as good prospects. Every team in the league has multiple prospects in the category you described. I'm not a Leafs fan, but they have better prospects than the guys you listed. Nikishin it the only prospect of note.

The Hurricanes have no goalies at .930. Not sure what you're talking about. I mean if we're going to isolate small game sample sizes over larger ones Nikita Zadorov has a 4 goal game and is on pace for 328 goals per season in that game. They Hurricanes have .893 goaltending.
Kochetkov for the better part of 3 months now (12-12, when he took over as the starter after injuries to Andersen and Raanta), about 20 games worth, has a .930 sv%. The fact that he's posting that despite the team goaltending sv% being that low is a testament to how bad the goaltending was at the start of the season.

Reactions: The Jerk Store

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kochetkov for the better part of 3 months now (12-12, when he took over as the starter after injuries to Andersen and Raanta), about 20 games worth, has a .930 sv%. The fact that he's posting that despite the team goaltending sv% being that low is a testament to how bad the goaltending was at the start of the season.
Kochetkov has a .922 in that time period, not a .930. He's also seen very low quality scoring chances during that period. His goals saved above expected is middle of the pack, not high end. Carolina goaltending has been 2nd worst in the league behind NJ in terms of goals saved above expected. I don't consider them contenders because of it. The rest of the roster is contender level, but name the last team to win a cup that didn't received fantastic goaltending. You probably have to go back to the Lemieux era penguins. That's more than 30 years ago.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Like always, he just looks a little lost out there. Doesn't seem to know where he should be on the ice at any given time.
Not true from what I've seen. He's been playing pretty solid IMO for someone who's said to have low hockey IQ.

He's getting to the open spots on the ice. He's driving the net. Unfortunately there's not much skill in the bottom 6 to get the puck on his stick.

He's been fine in the short stint so far

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
100%, however, it's on Doobler to set a clear vision for the org from here forward. 8 months ago, he threw the house at the defending Norris winner. Today, people are asking if we are going to sell half the team. Pick a lane and commit. We are getting tired of his waiver wire dumpster diving.

sure if the house was shitty. In reality we traded cap for cap + a 1st.

I do agree he needs to pick a direction but that can be difficult when you have the 5th best NHL player ever on the team.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Like I think this bump will upset less people ,
the original post that was created that bumped this thread has been deleted as it was aimed directly at oiler fans and was worded are way just to annoy oiler fans. Mods saw it and nuked it

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad