Contract Termination: [PIT] F Andreas Johnsson contract terminated by the Penguins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was optimistic that he could return to his effective form that he had in 2021-2022, but man he was atrocious in training camp. WBS also has a veteran AHL problem which he counts as, and frankly I don't think they particularly want to be playing him because of how washed up he looks.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. Imagine he'd much rather be a top player back in Europe, rather than grinding it out in the AHL.

One of those tweener scoring role players who is an awkward NHL fit. Doesn't have enough juice to be a real Top-6er but doesn't play the right sort of game, skating or checking well enough, or bringing enough size or energy to be very useful as a Bottom-6er.

He made a better go of it than most of those types do. But that's gotta be pretty much the end of the line for any NHL aspirations he may have. Oh well. He'll score plenty back in Sweden.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
What has happened to him the past couple seasons? He was solid those couple years in Toronto and had decent numbers his second year in New Jersey

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
This makes sense. The Pens had like 8 or 9 vets down in WBS and you're only allowed to start like 5 per game so he wasn't even playing for the AHL club. I assume his agent probably wanted him to sit out while negotiating the European contract he signed yesterday.

Reactions: HBK27 and biturbo19

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not sure I've ever seen a dumber hockey player. Absolutely no vision, IQ, hockey sense, or situational awareness. All his physical skills are there, but he just has absolutely no toolbox. It's like if you released a feral dog on the ice and had it chase around pucks. He cannot think the game at any level.

Glad for the dude that he got to make his money and go home. But geez. There are guys who would kill to have his shooting and skating ability and it's wasted on a dude with a potato between his ears.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Really nice lifestyle playing in Sweden, rather than the bus rides that were the only thing left for him in NA.

Skelleftea needs a little more offense. It’ll be a good fit for him as his brother is playing there too. Not sure if he’s been skating anywhere over the last month, but he should be able to suit up pretty quickly. It’s been one of the worst kept secrets over the last month.

He’s just the ultimate tweener, and unfortunately there’s 100 guys just like him these days.. He’ll be a really good player in the SHL.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Hated him as a leaf. But the whole team sucked back then and he was fast I guess?

I'm not surprised by this at all.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
1699483696101.png

Reactions: Primary Assist

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Loved him as a leaf to be honest. Hard working guy, could play like a swiss-army knife throughout the lineup.

Helped us win the calder cup and was a nice complimentary player while he was with us.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
What has happened to him the past couple seasons? He was solid those couple years in Toronto and had decent numbers his second year in New Jersey

He tore his ACL, then got a really bad case covid which is particularly bad when you have asthma as well. I think he was pretty decent his second season in in New Jersey.

Was happy to watch him on the Leafs before his injuries kicked in. Very versatile player.

Reactions: Summer Rose

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
His numbers were good in the 2nd year in NJ because he was playing with Jesper Bratt and Dawson Mercer. The second Bratt moved off that line to play with Hischier, Johnsson's (and to a lesser extent Mercer's) production dropped significantly.

Johnsson with Bratt 2021-22
58.36 SF%
54.86 CF%
59.57 xGF%
63.64 HDCF%

Johnsson without Bratt 2021-22
46.86 CF%
47.67 CF%
47.09 xGF%
51.15 HDCF%

Johnsson had 18 points in the first 20 games of the season (with Bratt), then had 17 points in the next 51 games (without Bratt).

Should be no surprise that Bratt lead the Devils in points that year with 73. Next closest was Hischier with 60. Hughes has a higher point per game but missed nearly half the season.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2