Trade: [PIT/CHI] Justin Fields for 2025 6th round pick (can become 4th)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bad teams typically will have either weak OL or poor weapons or even both. Especially bad for the teams that trade up for a QB like Carolina did for Young and Chicago did for Fields.

Everyone today wants instant gratification. When most other positions can walk in on day 1 and be either solid starts to even pro bowlers, and you sit your QB, takes patience to do so.

Rare for a good team which KC was at the time to trade up to draft Mahomes and sit him for the year. But, it's paid off now with 3 SB titles.
It's not really instant gratification, but rather how the business environment is. Basically, if the player isn't playing, that's less data for use in contract negotiations. For the rookie, they get paid based on "speculation", but for that second contract, it's really based on the numbers posted during the rookie contract. No info, no payday, basically.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I notice you have a lot of bad takes.

As always, I stand by my assessment that Cal Williams will be a colossal failure at the pro level.

It’s very easy to hop on the bandwagon now and proclaim Williams to be the next franchise QB - - just as all #1 overall QB picks are lauded - - but watch what happens over the next few years, my friend.

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
Bad teams typically will have either weak OL or poor weapons or even both. Especially bad for the teams that trade up for a QB like Carolina did for Young and Chicago did for Fields. Everyone today wants instant gratification. When most other positions can walk in on day 1 and be either solid start to even pro bowlers, and you sit your QB, takes patience to do so. Rare for a good team which KC was at the time to trade up to draft Mahomes and sit him for the year. But it's paid off now with 3 SB titles.
Total agreement. Although it worked out in the long run, way back in 89 rookie Aikman went 0-11 in games he started and was still the starter next year. Name the last time both those events happened to a rookie QB in his first 2 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bad teams typically will have either weak OL or poor weapons or even both. Especially bad for the teams that trade up for a QB like Carolina did for Young and Chicago did for Fields.

Everyone today wants instant gratification. When most other positions can walk in on day 1 and be either solid starts to even pro bowlers, and you sit your QB, takes patience to do so.

Rare for a good team which KC was at the time to trade up to draft Mahomes and sit him for the year. But, it's paid off now with 3 SB titles.
Very few coaches have the latitude to do that, and Andy is one of them, but it’s obvious Mahomes should’ve been starting at least half of year 1 and for about 27 other teams he probably would have. It’s easy to not complain about 3 Super Bowls now that they’ve been won, but good bet it cost them at least one other.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Very few coaches have the latitude to do that, and Andy is one of them, but it’s obvious Mahomes should’ve been starting at least half of year 1 and for about 27 other teams he probably would have. It’s easy to not complain about 3 Super Bowls now that they’ve been won, but good bet it cost them at least one other.
Mahomes earlier in his career would let his mechanics dip on him. Having a HC like Reid to reign him back in has helped his career.
When KC has the record it did in his rookie year, hard to find the excuse/reason to get him into the game over Smith.
He clearly could have played for other clubs, but likely wouldn't have become what he is today had he not been with Reid.
He's learned over time to take the easier throws or play for the next down rather than try the spectacular/high risk plays.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mahomes earlier in his career would let his mechanics dip on him. Having a HC like Reid to reign him back in has helped his career.
When KC has the record it did in his rookie year, hard to find the excuse/reason to get him into the game over Smith.
He clearly could have played for other clubs, but likely wouldn't have become what he is today had he not been with Reid.
He's learned over time to take the easier throws or play for the next down rather than try the spectacular/high risk plays.
But too many people equate that to not playing the first year as opposed to just Andy being good at doing it. That guy got a 4000 yard year out of Alex Smith the same season.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I actually like Fields, I hope Pittsburgh works out for him.

Overall, a lot of these QBs from drafts going back to 2021 haven't been very good. I'm not exactly convinced the 2024 class will be much better.
nope, and funny enough the guy that I think is going to be the best QB in the draft is projected to be a 2nd rounder almost everywhere I look.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Better to start your great player later than you had to than to play him too early and get a mediocre one.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Better to start your great player later than you had to than to play him too early and get a mediocre one.
You don't not reach your ceiling because you started too early, you don't reach it because you either stink, your coaching stinks, or both. Quarterbacks take their biggest jump between years one and two, so sitting for a whole year actually lowers their ceiling because they lack experience.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
It's possible Mahomes playing a playoff game in 17 helps him beat Brady in 18. But it wasn't really his fault they lost, he played well and they gave up 37 pts.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Fields will be starting in Pittsburgh sooner than most people realize.

It’s going to be hilarious to see Fields and the Steelers dominate the Bears and Cal Williams for the next few years until Chicago starts all over again with another new QB.

IMG_1054.jpeg

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Fields will be starting in Pittsburgh sooner than most people realize.

It’s going to be hilarious to see Fields and the Steelers dominate the Bears and Cal Williams for the next few years until Chicago starts all over again with another new QB.

View attachment 839325
Wait, I understand you hate Caleb Williams for very superflous reasons...but you can't possibly think Fields is good can you lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Whoever runs the offense better will end up starting. Neither guy is making big money. It's like $5 mill or something that Pitt is paying them. The 3 QBs that are not on the roster probably cost them more in cap room than these 2 next season.

Pitt is not married to either guy.

I think a lot depends on Russ's ego. Is he of the mindset that he should park MVP talk and just play football to win games. Not try to pad stats? If he does, I think he wins the job as he moves the offense. If he does that he will continue on in the NFL.

Fields, he needs to show stats and playmaking ability as he's more a projection at this point, when he gets into a game.

See who runs Smith's system better. Should be a legit QB battle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have nothing against Fields, I hope he becomes a legit starter in this league

But it’s 100% the right move to go with Williams moving forward for Bears. The build starts with finding a franchise QB and then you have a 15 year window

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Whoever runs the offense better will end up starting. Neither guy is making big money. It's like $5 mill or something that Pitt is paying them. The 3 QBs that are not on the roster probably cost them more in cap room than these 2 next season.

Pitt is not married to either guy.

I think a lot depends on Russ's ego. Is he of the mindset that he should park MVP talk and just play football to win games. Not try to pad stats? If he does, I think he wins the job as he moves the offense. If he does that he will continue on in the NFL.

Fields, he needs to show stats and playmaking ability as he's more a projection at this point, when he gets into a game.

See who runs Smith's system better. Should be a legit QB battle.

I think the Steelers have a lot more ego invested in Wilson at this point. They're also very conservative and pro-experience, and we've heard repeatedly they've told Wilson he is QB1 and Fields that he isn't.

And their history of "we have a QB battle" is "we have a QB sham fight".

I think this is Wilson's position unless he shits the bed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the Steelers have a lot more ego invested in Wilson at this point. They're also very conservative and pro-experience, and we've heard repeatedly they've told Wilson he is QB1 and Fields that he isn't.

And their history of "we have a QB battle" is "we have a QB sham fight".

I think this is Wilson's position unless he shits the bed.
Russ just needs to buy into the heavy run attack. Return to the LOB Seattle philosophy, except that he can't make the same escape plays he used to. Needs to either hit his check downs or throw the ball away vs take a sack.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have nothing against Fields, I hope he becomes a legit starter in this league

But it’s 100% the right move to go with Williams moving forward for Bears. The build starts with finding a franchise QB and then you have a 15 year window
even if he’s not ready? If he’s not performing by October the arm chair GMs and coaches will proclaim him a bust

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
even if he’s not ready? If he’s not performing by October the arm chair GMs and coaches will proclaim him a bust

I agree with the thought of not wanting to have 2 young high picks on the same locker room, it could easily create friction. I’d prefer quality veteran who’s not a longterm threat

But for Caleb he’s a 1st overall pick walking into the best situation out of these young QB’s, by a country mile, he has proven tier A offensive players as his safety net. Him not being ready to go would be a massive disappointment

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym

"Sitting and developing" ended up playing a part in ruining Trey Lance, which is why the Colts went in to have Richardson be a starter on day one to avoid repeating that mistake, especially with guys with lower college career snap counts.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
"Sitting and developing" ended up playing a part in ruining Trey Lance, which is why the Colts went in to have Richardson be a starter on day one to avoid repeating that mistake, especially with guys with lower college career snap counts.
That's also on Lance for coming out in the draft after playing at a lower level of football. And his pass attempts per game were under 20 IIRC. The portal had just begun that upcoming season, so he should have either returned to school or transferred to a better program to get his reps in.

He was simply too raw to run the SF offence. They wanted him to start, but he just didn't show them enough in practice.

Have to get your reps in during college.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
That's also on Lance for coming out in the draft after playing at a lower level of football. And his pass attempts per game were under 20 IIRC. The portal had just begun that upcoming season, so he should have either returned to school or transferred to a better program to get his reps in.

He was simply too raw to run the SF offence. They wanted him to start, but he just didn't show them enough in practice.

Have to get your reps in during college.
Or crazy thought, let him iron out the flaws in his game more learning the NFL for himself on the playing field. There's statistically no proven benefit to sitting and learning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad