Confirmed Trade: [PIT/CAR] Ron Hainsey traded to Pittsburgh for 2017 2nd Round Pick and Danny Kristo

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
A 2nd round pick has a general success rate of almost 50% to turn into an NHL player. A 3rd round pick has a general success rate of 30% to turn into an NHL player.

Also, Stone is 26 years old, Hainsey is 35 years old.

So ya, he did get the short end of the stick if you look at the value of draft picks in general.
Source on the 50 percent part? I have a hard time believing that since not even first rounders have a 50% success rate.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I think people are glossing over the salary retention aspect.

I'd guess, though I have no supporting to back it up, that the ask for Hainsey was not a 2nd. Ot was very likely a lower pick which became a 2nd when retention was decided upon. Which makes sense.

If Hainsey was moved for a 3rd, not too many people would be complaining. But eating almost $2mil in salary helps the Pens make additional deadline moves, which is worth the upgraded pick.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think people are glossing over the salary retention aspect.

I'd guess, though I have no supporting to back it up, that the ask for Hainsey was not a 2nd. Ot was very likely a lower pick which became a 2nd when retention was decided upon. Which makes sense.

If Hainsey was moved for a 3rd, not too many people would be complaining. But eating almost $2mil in salary helps the Pens make additional deadline moves, which is worth the upgraded pick.

Retention is more like $800k in salary and $900k in Cap.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It has only been a couple of games, but Hainsey has been an extremely solid addition so far.

The Pens have to be happy with what he has shown in the games played.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
It has only been a couple of games, but Hainsey has been an extremely solid addition so far.

The Pens have to be happy with what he has shown in the games played.

Hainsey isn't flashy, but very solid as a d-man. A lot of nights you won't notice him a lot because he stays in the right position and prevents a lot of stuff just by being in the right place.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would have rather seen them go after Green, but I'm okay with this. If he can help improve our PK it's worth it.

And I've very glad that they didn't. He would never have been worth his contract (cap hit, term, ED protection slot) compared to what we would have needed to pay to acquire him. Then there's the issues with how we'd be able to afford Schultz next year if we had Green.

Hainsey (or another pending FA) was absolutely the right type of move to make. The cost is semi reasonable, or at the very least manageable and there's no long term impact. If things work out, we can look at resigning him in June/July. But other than missing out on a late 2nd (probably in the 52-61 range) there's no negative impacts here. So considering how much we needed a body (and we did), I'm fine with the cost. Perhaps a little steep, but not the end of the world.

Looked really good from what I saw last night. The kinda guy that if he goes unnoticed is doing his job very well.

He's been great. So far he's averaged 22 minutes a night for us. I'd be happier if we could play him a little less, but so far the pickup has been a very good one.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How's that possible? The seasons more than half over. If they retain 800k in money doesn't it have to be atleast 1.6 million in cap?

Hainsey makes
Salary: 2.5m
Cap hit: 2.83m

Carolina is retaining 50% of that. So 1.4m in cap and 1.25m in salary. However, the season is 3/4 over already (or there abouts), which means Hainsey has already been paid around 1.8m so far this year. Which means Carolina retaining 50% of his remaining salary means they're only retaining around 300k or so of the 600k or so he's still owed for the year. As for his cap hit, while typically that would pro-rate as well to around 1/4 of the 2.83m it was in Oct, Pittsburgh is into LTIR and has been all year, which means we do not get that benefit, thus the cap hit coming to the Pens that they need to fit in is the full 1.416m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad