Confirmed Trade: [PIT/ANA] Thimo Nickl for Judd Caulfield

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Incredible move.

If I had a nickl for every trade this good I'd be broke
What a Judd of a comment.

Is Nickl like strictly a stay-at-home dman ?

Screenshot_20230331_150646_Chrome.jpg

Seems pumped

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Oh Gosh, should I drop Caulfield in my Dynasty League? I'm rebuilding for the 2027-28 season . . .

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
SCOUTING REPORT from his draft year.
Underrated Austrian import who has continued to improve his entire rookie season, confident as he now has taken over running the Drummondville power play with Dawson Mercer’s departure. Tall with room for growth, he has good feet, showing mobility and agility. His shot continues to get better and on the defensive side he uses his reach, stick and feet to thwart opposing attackers. Not flashy just effective in his outlets and overall demeanor. Plenty of room the fill out his phyique with muscle. Mobile and poised when he has the puck, there is long term upside diplayed through his play.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dear Anaheim fans,

You have just acquired a big hard-working winger who doesn't skate like he's in mud, or at least that's what he's been so far. His numbers never popped and WBS is full of young forwards so I can see why we didn't want him, but he does at least look like the "maybe he'll be a bottom sixer" that does actually become a bottom sixer. Although given he's been that since being drafted, you've got to bet no.

I presume this is very similar to what you've given us.

Warmest regards
Pens fans

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Caulfield: As if we need any more lessons in not drafting players who play bottom six when they're in junior. Even if he tops out at Zach Aston-Reese or whatever his highest ceiling is, I'm always going to make a frowny face at just unbelievably unimaginative picks. There's no excuse. There's 50 guys at that point in the draft that I'd take a chance on. And even if you say, "well, that's was our U.S. guy's pick...so, it's not like you're gonna take Yegor Savikov or some such..." ok fine...Patrick Moynihan on that same team wasn't gone yet, Aidan McDonough is in the same league and everyone knew who that was, I had Parker Ford as a 3rd round guy or so that year, same with Jami Krannila...and this isn't even retrospect pulls, it's out there. I said this at the time, the situation hasn't improved.

Nickl is the defense version of Judd. He's not a very good skater. He's not very skilled. He has average hockey sense. He's pretty tough to play against. Nickl specifically isn't super athletic. So his physicality doesn't translate into anything that makes it interesting before there's a limitation on that. Looking at his ice time, it must be playoff time in Sweden because he went from playing 17, 18 minutes down to 4. So, you kind of know where you stand there. I don't know, at times, it looks like he's a sentient marionette puppet...it's like, there's intent, and then there's the action, and then someone from above pulls the strings and makes it go a little bit out of control, and then his body takes over again and gets him back on his feet...it's bizarre. I don't think this is a player either.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Dear Anaheim fans,

You have just acquired a big hard-working winger who doesn't skate like he's in mud, or at least that's what he's been so far. His numbers never popped and WBS is full of young forwards so I can see why we didn't want him, but he does at least look like the "maybe he'll be a bottom sixer" that does actually become a bottom sixer. Although given he's been that since being drafted, you've got to bet no.

I presume this is very similar to what you've given us.

Warmest regards
Pens fans
+His dad was a face puncher in the NHL who didn’t start skating until he was 10.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I remember when Judd Caulfield played for the US NTDP. He and Cole Caufield played on the same team. It was confusing at first when they both began on the U17 having two players with such similar names. Didn't take long for one to establish himself as the better prospect, though, and the name confusion quickly ended. Sorry, Ducks fans, but Judd isn't that player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
One of those trades where everyone knew it was gonna happen, was just a matter of when

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Played for Austria at recent WC. Any reason to believe the Penguins have any interest in signing him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00