News Article: Pirates Penguins $17.99 local streaming

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The way I look at it, even at $18/month that's a hell of lot cheaper than going to a game and getting decent seats/parking/food.

I feel like if I buy a ticket to a game and go then I should get this shitty streaming service for free for the year.

Not one of their fancy marketing geniuses I'm sure put this together but as it is it has zero appeal to get me to stop sailing the high seas. And I'm really trying to go legit. But this economy blows.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I feel like if I buy a ticket to a game and go then I should get this shitty streaming service for free for the year.

Not one of their fancy marketing geniuses I'm sure put this together but as it is it has zero appeal to get me to stop sailing the high seas. And I'm really trying to go legit. But this economy blows.

Well, that ain't going to happen but I understand the sentiment.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The way I look at it, even at $18/month that's a hell of lot cheaper than going to a game and getting decent seats/parking/food.
Anyone that buys food at a sporting event is a fool. You can park at the Grant St (Greyhound) garage for $5 (at least last time I went to a game it was that much) and tickets will soon be cheaper than this app. So you can go to 1 game a month or watch them lose most games at your house. Tough choice, really.

• Love

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Anyone that buys food at a sporting event is a fool. You can park at the Grant St (Greyhound) garage for $5 (at least last time I went to a game it was that much) and tickets will soon be cheaper than this app. So you can go to 1 game a month or watch them lose most games at your house. Tough choice, really.

It takes me 4+ hours to drive to Pgh so I wouldn't know.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I love how this board finds a way to even complain about something like this. It’s a great, cheap way for those who are in market and don’t want to dish out nearly or over $100 for cable yet there’s legit moaning and groaning from several people.
I think most the people complaining are either out of market or still have cable so this doesn’t impact them.

For the ones who couldn’t take paying $85 for cable just to watch regional sports this is a game changer.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
My Canadian ass will just stick to postgame highlights and occasional swashbuckling

Even if I could get this, I wouldn’t pay to watch anymore consecutive years of Sullivan failure.

And I say this as a former Center Ice subscriber.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I see a lot of complaining, but this is actually phenomenal. The Penguins are the only reason I have cable now that I’m local, so this will be a huge savings for me next year.

I think most the people complaining are either out of market or still have cable so this doesn’t impact them.

For the ones who couldn’t take paying $85 for cable just to watch regional sports this is a game changer.
Exactly this. I’m paying for hundreds of channels I don’t watch just to catch the Pens’ games. I don’t mind paying $18 per month for just 1 team’s games if it means I can cut cable out of my life completely.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
I see a lot of complaining, but this is actually phenomenal. The Penguins are the only reason I have cable now that I’m local, so this will be a huge savings for me next year.

Exactly this. I’m paying for hundreds of channels I don’t watch just to catch the Pens’ games. I don’t mind paying $18 per month for just 1 team’s games if it means I can cut cable out of my life completely.

This exactly, it is a best case scenario. Anyone complaining has no grasp on reality.

Currently to get these broadcasts you need to pay $70+ a month for a streaming service that includes the local RSNs (Youtube/Fubo/Etc..) or pay god knows what ($100+?) for a cable plan.

The games will still be on cable, the games will still be on streaming services that have the RSNs.

It's $18/month and no other costs. If you don't care about Pirates, subscribe from October - April and pay $140. This is less than two months of the cost of the prior, only alternative.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005

Next board meeting...We should give this away because selling things doesn't appeal to thieves.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I love how this board finds a way to even complain about something like this. It’s a great, cheap way for those who are in market and don’t want to dish out nearly or over $100 for cable yet there’s legit moaning and groaning from several people.
And with all of your streaming you'll easily pay over $300 a month..............lol

Keep sticking it to the man

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
"NESN, which broadcasts Red Sox and Bruins local games, was the first regional sports network to offer a streaming alternative for its market in 2022. NESN 360 is available for $29.99 a month, or $180 for the first year on the annual plan through a current promotional offer. It otherwise costs $329.99 per year."

I mean, talk about getting hosed, Boston

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
And with all of your streaming you'll easily pay over $300 a month..............lol

Zero chance. I pay like $50 a month in streaming services and get a ridiculous amount of content and it is far cheaper than cable which has additional taxes and fees for just being cable as well as equipment rental fees.

If I add this service it will be $68 a month. My friends who only have cable because they want to watch the Pens are paying like $280 a month to be able have the package that shows the games.

Reactions: Penguin Suited Up

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It is wild how hard and expensive it is to legally watch Pens games overseas, incidentally.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If I lived in PIT, I'd be stoked. As long as there is no blackouts.
With Sully and Dubas at the helm, there will be blackouts on the schedule.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad