Pineault, LaVallee, Schremp

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
These guys sometimes played together as kids. They're all in the AHL now. While they all have different strengths, I'm curious their development compares at this point in time? Any comments?

Rmac22

May 31, 2006
Etobicoke, ON
Pineault is overrated as hell. I don't know how he got a 7.5 rating on hf.

Pineault progressed hugely last year in Moncton. One of the leader scorers on a stacked team and was a key offencive producer in the Playoffs/Mem Cup. He didn't look like anything special the year before that...so maybe he's just taking some time to adjust in the AHL. Still has a lot of potential.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Pineault progressed hugely last year in Moncton. One of the leader scorers on a stacked team and was a key offencive producer in the Playoffs/Mem Cup. He didn't look like anything special the year before that...so maybe he's just taking some time to adjust in the AHL. Still has a lot of potential.

It was his last year of junior hockey of course he should have been a key contributor. I don't deny the fact that he has some potential, but definitely not top 6 potential unless I'm completely missing something in his game, which I have done before.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Pineault could land on the top 6, but really more as a complimentary player. He skates very well and a has tremendous shot, but in the end, he doesn't generate enough scoring chances on his own to be considering an elite offensive talent. But with the right centerman, I think he could thrive.

His upside is probably a Knuble type of player (knuble has been fortunate enough to play with some great centers), with a more likely a scenario being he ends up as a solid 10-15 goal checking forward.

Schremp's upside is obviously higher, although his risk is probably similar.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
:dunno: What's Lavallee chopped liver? He was unfortunate to run into some injuries but he appears to be a better skater than Dustin Penner and just as big. His talent might also be greater.:)

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
one thing about pineault, is playing for ted nolan last year may have saved his pro career (yes i know that is a bold statement, but hear me out). in 04-05 pineault started off the year on an offensive tear, then cooled off and was a nobody... no offence, no interest, no hustle, nothing. he looked terrible. then come 05-06, nolan worked his *** and he worked on rounding out his game. i'll go as far as to say he was even one of the top PKers in the Q last year. he would sometimes single handedly kill off a good 40-50 seconds of time in the offensive zone with 2 or 3 guys on him. he's strong. his defensive game improved 100% last season... now this year i haven't seen him play at all so maybe he has gone back into that funk, or maybe he's been shoved into a role where he doesn't really belong :dunno:

in any case i don't think he should be counted on as an offensive weapon. he has a sakic like shot, but he needs to be set up... he isn't a playmaker. he's good on the PP, and as he proved last season in junior, if he's got a fire under his *** he's an awesome penalty killer. regardless, he probably needs much more development time before he sees any NHL duty.

Rmac22

May 31, 2006
Etobicoke, ON
one thing about pineault, is playing for ted nolan last year may have saved his pro career (yes i know that is a bold statement, but hear me out). in 04-05 pineault started off the year on an offensive tear, then cooled off and was a nobody... no offence, no interest, no hustle, nothing. he looked terrible. then come 05-06, nolan worked his *** and he worked on rounding out his game. i'll go as far as to say he was even one of the top PKers in the Q last year. he would sometimes single handedly kill off a good 40-50 seconds of time in the offensive zone with 2 or 3 guys on him. he's strong. his defensive game improved 100% last season... now this year i haven't seen him play at all so maybe he has gone back into that funk, or maybe he's been shoved into a role where he doesn't really belong :dunno:

in any case i don't think he should be counted on as an offensive weapon. he has a sakic like shot, but he needs to be set up... he isn't a playmaker. he's good on the PP, and as he proved last season in junior, if he's got a fire under his *** he's an awesome penalty killer. regardless, he probably needs much more development time before he sees any NHL duty.

I definetely agree with this. Ted Nolan got so much out of his players. A bit off topic, but look at Matt Marquardt. This guy was a 18 year old Junior A (or B?) castoff in Ontario, made the team on a free agent try out, and was drafted 4th round this year by Philly. He is one of the leaders in Moncton this year, and I think Nolan had a ton to do with his development.

I agree with you on this. His max potential is most likely like Knuble, as mentioned, although his shot is just ridiculous. Then again, so is Chad Kilgers.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
A bit off topic, but look at Matt Marquardt. This guy was a 18 year old Junior A (or B?) castoff in Ontario, made the team on a free agent try out, and was drafted 4th round this year by Philly.

actually, 7th round by the jackets. but regardless, for a guy to be that far off the radar to being drafted in one season is pretty impressive. alot of folks figured he would drop back into anonymity without all that surrounding talent from last year, but he leads the team in goals and is over a PPG.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
His upside is probably a Knuble type of player (knuble has been fortunate enough to play with some great centers), with a more likely a scenario being he ends up as a solid 10-15 goal checking forward./quote]

As a Jackets fan and someone who has seen Pineault play here in Halifax, I would defiantely agree with the Knuble comparison.

His shot allows him to be valuable on the point on the PP, but in terms of even strength play he needs a skilled playmaker on his line to be effective. Down the road if he was paired with a guy like Brassard I think he would be successful.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
Pineault is overrated as hell. I don't know how he got a 7.5 rating on hf.

Pineault does alot of little things well. He is a fighter in the corners, has great puck handling skill and has a bullit of a shot. Does he need to be set-up.....yes like every
other player...remember this is a team sport.
I saw Pineault play when he was 14 on the Junior Bruins and the kid was unbelievable....he was a Center and that IS where he plays the best. I believe he was moved to RW in the NTDP because he was on the top line with Hensick who was also a Center...one had to move to another position. They both where top scorers.
It is hard to judge Pineault at this point because the team is doing poorly. I believe he was one of the top scorers in the tournament with the other NHL prospects in Michigan. I really think the 7.5 rating is appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad