Pierre Page

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on Pierre Page. His NHL coaching record is not stellar and he's been put on some "worst coaches of all time" lists but I'm not really sure if that's fair.

I'd just like to hear peoples' take on him.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
He was absolutely horrible as coach of the AHL Manitoba Moose in 1996-97. In fact, he still is the worst coach in Manitoba Professional hockey history.

?

He was coaching the Calgary Flames in 1996-97. I don't think he ever even coached the AHL Manitoba Moose?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on Pierre Page. His NHL coaching record is not stellar and he's been put on some "worst coaches of all time" lists but I'm not really sure if that's fair.

I'd just like to hear peoples' take on him.

Mediocre coach, but certainly nowhere near the worst of all time - wouldn't have spent 10 years in the league with 4 teams if that was the case. Was a serviceable journeyman coach who usually ended up (a couple years in Quebec excepted) on no-talent teams on the fringes of playoff contention.

Biggest legacy is probably that he's the GM who made the Eric Lindros trade with Philadelphia.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Mediocre coach, but certainly nowhere near the worst of all time - wouldn't have spent 10 years in the league with 4 teams if that was the case. Was a serviceable journeyman coach who usually ended up (a couple years in Quebec excepted) on no-talent teams on the fringes of playoff contention.

Biggest legacy is probably that he's the GM who made the Eric Lindros trade with Philadelphia.

Seems to be the case. The guy gets a lot of flak it seems but I certainly don't think he's the worst coach out there. He was pretty highly regarded by the media in Minnesota during his tenure with the North Stars.

cujoflutie

?

He was coaching the Calgary Flames in 1996-97. I don't think he ever even coach the AHL Manitoba Moose?

You're right;

1972 – 1973 - Dalhousie University (CIAU) - Assistant coach
1973 – 1980 - Dalhousie University (CIAU) - Head coach
1980 – 1982 - Calgary Flames (NHL) - Assistant coach
1982 – 1984 - Colorado Flames (CHL) - Head coach
1984 – 1985 - Moncton Golden Flames (AHL) - Head coach
1985 – 1988 - Calgary Flames (NHL) - Assistant coach
1988 – 1990 - Minnesota North Stars (NHL) - Head coach
1991 – 1994 - Quebec Nordiques (NHL) - Head coach[6]
1995 – 1997 - Calgary Flames (NHL) - Head coach
1997 – 1998 - Anaheim Mighty Ducks (NHL) - Head coach
2000 – 2001 - HC Ambrì-Piotta (NLA/SUI) - Head coach
2002 – 2007 - Eisbären Berlin (DEL) - Head coach
2008–present - EC Red Bull Salzburg - Head coach

he was with quebec right before they ascended to greatness but otherwise he seemed to always fall in the wrong situation.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
he was with quebec right before they ascended to greatness but otherwise he seemed to always fall in the wrong situation.

That's a pretty good assessment. Seems like Page's NHL coaching career started off pretty solidly. In his two seasons in Minnesota, the North Stars showed marked improvement, leading me to wonder what would have happened had he stayed there.

In Quebec, he didn't start coaching until 1991-92. 1992-93 was actually his only winning season and then the Nordiques took a step back in 1993-94 which I guess ultimately cost him his job.

After that, his NHL coaching career just didn't seem to be the same. He inherited the coaching duties of two pretty underwhelming teams in Calgary and Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad