TSN: Pierre McGuire fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The story behind the story..........or not! Who really knows!
Reads like a hatchet job by someone with a grudge to bear. It was a terrible hire, you can't expect a GM to do his job properly with a GM in-waiting watching his every step & potentially going back & crying to the owner about it or how he would have done it differently. I'm not a fan of PD, but he already has to work within a restricted budget with a small front office & dozens of problems to also have PM watching his every move. I'm fine with McGuire being fired, but it's another example of how EM does business. It kind of reminds me of Trump when he said he likes turmoil & chaos between colleagues, he thinks it breeds better decision making, unfortunately the oppositie can also happen.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, there's been speculation that Alfredsson left (the second time) because Dorion shut him out from major hockey ops decisions. Could that be untrue? Sure, it's a rumor.

But if the relationship is fine, and Alfredsson says he has, and has had, interest in a role with the team... why doesn't he have a role with the team?

If all was well, seems like a no-brainer, even if it's just from a pure PR standpoint, to me.

I guess we'll see if he's hired back this summer. I hear some budget in the front-office just opened up.

You have no idea what you are talking. Just stop.

I have the real reason as to why Alfie left

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sens should be all over Spezza as soon as he retires, get him into a fast track role to take over as GM in 3/4 years. Hire a short term guy to lead into that. Groom Alfie as President of Hockey Ops. All is well for the 2028-29 Sens
You realize spezza was born in Toronto and a huge maple leafs fan?
We do not want maple leaf fans (above sens fans) in the organization if avoidable.

Reactions: Senovision

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We do not want maple leaf fans (above sens fans) in the organization if avoidable.
Basing who you want running your org on what logo they had on their pyjamas as a toddler is a surefire way to fail.

Hire the best guy for the job regardless of where he grew up or what team he cheered for as a child.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Couldn’t care less about that, makes absolutely no difference into hiring the guy for a role like that.

If that were the case, pretty much every GM would be out of a job and almost every player would be off limits.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Couldn’t care less about that, makes absolutely no difference into hiring the guy for a role like that.

If that were the case, pretty much every GM would be out of a job.

What makes you think Spezza wants to move here for the next 5 years ?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I never said he did. I said they should offer him the fast track to a GM position, that he is looking to get after his plying career is over. I’m sure a 5 year window to that job in a city he’s familiar with would grease the wheels compared to toiling around the league for 10+ years elsewhere, and Toronto is definitely out of the picture.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I never said he did. I said they should offer him the fast track to a GM position, that he is looking to get after his plying career is over. I’m sure a 5 year window to that job in a city he’s familiar with would grease the wheels compared to toiling around the league for 10+ years elsewhere, and Toronto is definitely out of the picture.

He’s been here before… and requested to leave. I’m not sure he wants to comit to learning the business here for a few years with the potential to extend as a GM.

I don’t think potential admins see this market as the idea place to make their mark in the league.

He’s a gazillionaire and would give up 5-8 good years of his life here for starters. Secondly, the team is a small market low revenue team that uses league handout money to pay their bills. A potential GM doesn't have any mechanisms to cover up mistakes and it’s one of the hardest markets to get UFA’s to come too.

It’s a trap market. There are reasons Yzerman won’t come anywhere near here.

• Haha
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

If that were the case, pretty much every GM would be out of a job and almost every player would be off limits.
We are talking a super Toronto fan born in Toronto. That doesn’t matter?
Move on. Spezza is in the past. I’m sure he’d much rather work for Toronto. So look for him there.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Move on. Spezza is in the past. I’m sure he’d much rather work for Toronto. So look for him there.
I’m sure he’d rather work for Toronto too. I’m sure every single hockey executive would. That’s the point, the Sens are never going to get a guy that wouldn’t rather be somewhere else. If they had to hire a guy that would rather work in Ottawa compared to somewhere else, we’d have 5 employees.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, it doesn't matter. Get over it, the vast majority of NHL execs grew up cheering for a different team than the one they work for now. I don't care that Brady probably grew up a Blues or Arizona fan, I'm thrilled he's here.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Is there actually evidence that Spezza is interested in moving in to a front office role when his playing days are done? IE has he said so?

Just my gut feeling, but I would not have pegged him as the GM type.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is there actually evidence that Spezza is interested in moving in to a front office role when his playing days are done? IE has he said so?

Been discussed before that he want's to stay in hockey, and has always been thought of to be one of the smartest hockey minds in the league. Guy lives and breathes hockey, he's going to be involved in a management role for sure after his playing days are done. Usually a top 1/2 guy in the NHL player polls at who will make the best GM, think 14/200 players interviewed choose him from guys leaguewide last time for 2nd place.

It's been highly speculated he will be joining a management team somewhere soon after retiring.

He'll get a role somewhere, for sure. If the Sens wanted him, which they may not even have an inkling, they would need to offer a direct route and plan for him. Or go the Yzerman route, let him marinate elsewhere and then offer him a GM position after a few seasons in a VP or advisor role.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, Tevor Daley said this about him: He’s gonna be a GM as soon as he hangs up the skates...Jason eats, sleeps, drinks everything about the game. That’s how he’s been since we were nine years old. He’s all hockey.

He's well know for being hockey obsessed, knew all the kids being drafted while still playing, could tell you what sticks the opposition used, ect.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not a chance he'd leave Etobicoke. I was reading Conde Naste Traveler and they compared it to Malibu. It's where retired millionaire athletes want to be. There's an awesome Jamaican restaurant on the Queensway. Just watch out for the carjackings when going to the movies...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not a chance he'd leave Etobicoke. I was reading Conde Naste Traveler and they compared it to Malibu. It's where retired millionaire athletes want to be. There's an awesome Jamaican restaurant on the Queensway. Just watch out for the carjackings when going to the movies...

Sorry … You may be confused ? I asked what made you think he’d want to move here for the foreseeable future.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sorry … You may be confused ? I asked what made you think he’d want to move here for the foreseeable future.

If his goal is to be a GM (and I have no idea if it is) and this organization offered him a job with a clearer path to becoming a GM than other organizations (and I have no idea if they would), that would make him want to move here for the foreseeable future.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If his goal is to be a GM (and I have no idea if it is) and this organization offered him a job with a clearer path to becoming a GM than other organizations (and I have no idea if they would), that would make him want to move here for the foreseeable future.
Idk, hockey players have never been known for moving away to another city in order to achieve career goals... Seems a bit far fetched.

Reactions: aragorn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I guess we now know where Dohrion learned his bad management from. Murray was notorious for hiring coaches that could not challenge him. Paulrus may have been the only on with the balls to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad