Speculation: Pierre McGuire: Could Red Wings sign Tavares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Could the Red Wings land this superstar forward? | Detroit Sports Nation

"This isn’t the first time that McGuire has suggested that the Red Wings could have a chance to land him. Before the season began, McGuire explained during a radio interview that if he were a member of the Islanders management, he’d be worried that Detroit could snatch Tavares away from Long Island."

“There’s one team that’s an Original 6 team that will desperately be in need of a superstar player – the Detroit Red Wings,” McGuire said. “They will have more than enough cap space to go out and make a play for John Tavares. And I think that any player, especially Ontario born, even though he was an Oshawa General and spent time with the London Knights, knows how powerful the Red Wings brand is.”

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When you look at the Atlantic why would you want to sign in Detroit?

It's going to take time before they can be good again.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't see it. He's going to want to be the final piece added to a contender, not start all over again with a team in the midst of a rebuild.

Half of the teams in the NHL will have interest in him, it more comes down to how many teams will Tavares be willing to play for.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
He's going to want to be the final piece added to a contender

While you're not wrong, very few teams can reasonably afford him this upcoming season.

Montreal (Believe it or not, the most likely of the teams below to be able to afford him long term and compete right now)
Detroit (They are a few years from being contenders)
New York Rangers (They are a long way from being competitive again)
New York Islanders (It's clearly not working there --- They probably wont make the playoffs again this year)
Vancouver (Too many holes)
Philly (Long term - absolutely not)
Florida (Pretty sure they will never spend to the cap, and C is their deepest position)
Vegas (This is another reasonable choice, but does JT want to go to Vegas? Tough to say.)
Buffalo (lol.)

Point is, if he's picking his 'best chance to win a cup' it's Montreal or Vegas at this stage, at least out of the teams that can afford him.

With a top (6?) pick, and a core of Weber/Pacioretty/Price/Drouin/Galchenyuk, Tavares would be surrounded by a relatively talented group, an elite goaltender, and he fills that teams BIGGEST hole. His teammate in Calvin De Haan being a free agent also lets the Habs fill their second weakest position (Top 4 LD) --- It makes a lot of sense, to be honest.

Vegas is the only other super logical pick because they can afford his contract long term, are competitive now, and have a decently talented group of players. There are concerns with Vegas, just like Montreal (Montreal is having an abysmal year and is weak in two positions, but Vegas has loads of UFAs, an injury prone goaltender, and the big question of are they lucky or really just this good).

I think if he doesn't resign, you see him in Montreal or Vegas next year --- could be wrong.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see it. He's going to want to be the final piece added to a contender, not start all over again with a team in the midst of a rebuild.

Half of the teams in the NHL will have interest in him, it more comes down to how many teams will Tavares be willing to play for.

...and the contract. That eliminates a lot of teams.

Including Detroit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

31 teams will have interest in him

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
We shouldn't be talking about this. Not thread worthy. A major TV personality suggesting a potential link between a big market team and potentially the biggest free agent of the decade? Nah, not worth talking about. We should shut down the trade board until after the finals because nothing is thread worthy, and talking about potential moves is bad. More than anything, if you think something isn't thread worthy, make sure to bump the thread, saying it isn't thread worthy, so a moderator knows to lock it, rather than letting it to continue out in the open of the fourth or fifth page.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If Det gets Dahlin and make a play for Karlson. Det is still a few years, and some bad contracts, away.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
While you're not wrong, very few teams can reasonably afford him this upcoming season.

Montreal (Believe it or not, the most likely of the teams below to be able to afford him long term and compete right now)
Detroit (They are a few years from being contenders)
New York Rangers (They are a long way from being competitive again)
New York Islanders (It's clearly not working there --- They probably wont make the playoffs again this year)
Vancouver (Too many holes)
Philly (Long term - absolutely not)
Florida (Pretty sure they will never spend to the cap, and C is their deepest position)
Vegas (This is another reasonable choice, but does JT want to go to Vegas? Tough to say.)
Buffalo (lol.)

Point is, if he's picking his 'best chance to win a cup' it's Montreal or Vegas at this stage, at least out of the teams that can afford him.

With a top (6?) pick, and a core of Weber/Pacioretty/Price/Drouin/Galchenyuk, Tavares would be surrounded by a relatively talented group, an elite goaltender, and he fills that teams BIGGEST hole. His teammate in Calvin De Haan being a free agent also lets the Habs fill their second weakest position (Top 4 LD) --- It makes a lot of sense, to be honest.

Vegas is the only other super logical pick because they can afford his contract long term, are competitive now, and have a decently talented group of players. There are concerns with Vegas, just like Montreal (Montreal is having an abysmal year and is weak in two positions, but Vegas has loads of UFAs, an injury prone goaltender, and the big question of are they lucky or really just this good).

I think if he doesn't resign, you see him in Montreal or Vegas next year --- could be wrong.

the funny thing is, I think two things about Montreal: 1) they're absolutely screwed, locked into unmovable contracts for players that probably keep them just good enough that they can't tank and get the ultra-elite talent (especially at center) that they desperately lack, and are most likely in for a few years of treading water before a long rebuild, and 2) they have an extremely real chance at signing John Tavares, who'd change everything, and make them a legitimate contender.

BUT, you might've thought the Leafs were in that same situation leading up to Stamkos' free agency if they didn't somehow move Clarkson/Phaneuf, disappear Lupul/Robidas, and get a really solid haul for Kessel in spite of themselves. Montreal has enough good pieces that a lottery win + Tavares could make them great.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
the funny thing is, I think two things about Montreal: 1) they're absolutely screwed, locked into unmovable contracts for players that probably keep them just good enough that they can't tank and get the ultra-elite talent (especially at center) that they desperately lack, and are most likely in for a few years of treading water before a long rebuild, and 2) they have an extremely real chance at signing John Tavares, who'd change everything, and make them a legitimate contender.

BUT, you might've thought the Leafs were in that same situation leading up to Stamkos' free agency if they didn't somehow move Clarkson/Phaneuf, disappear Lupul/Robidas, and get a really solid haul for Kessel in spite of themselves. Montreal has enough good pieces that a lottery win + Tavares could make them great.
Realistically most Habs fans know we aren't getting Tavares. It's just a pipe-dream. However if the stars did align, and we did get him, it would change our team's outlook immensely

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
why would he go to Detroit who are rebuilding when he could go to Vegas, Toronto, Boston, teams that are good and are contenders?

going to Detroit makes no sense

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
No surprise a Montreal fan would omit the 2 teams that can afford them and are much better than the Habs.

I'm not sure St. Louis and San Jose are much better than the Habs. How many years is Carey Price gonna put up a .904 save percentage? He's 30, yeah, maybe it's the beginning of the end, but I don't see him going from Vezina caliber to replacement level that quickly. They've also got guys like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk putting up some of the worst shooting percentages of their career. They're better than their record, I think. San Jose is really old, and just gave up a really good center for uh not really discernible reason. So like, the 2017-18 Sharks and Blues are better than the 2017-18 Canadiens, but I can see a scenario where you can convince Tavares you've got a plan and can be better next year. And the importance of the Canadiens franchise means something. Idk if it does to John Tavares, but I mean, it could.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
why would he go to Detroit who are rebuilding when he could go to Vegas, Toronto, Boston, teams that are good and are contenders?

going to Detroit makes no sense

No way he goes to Toronto. Don't see them committing long term given what's coming up cap-wise, with Matthews/Kadri/probably Nylander already down the middle, and absolutely nothing on the right side of the blue line.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Realistically most Habs fans know we aren't getting Tavares. It's just a pipe-dream. However if the stars did align, and we did get him, it would change our team's outlook immensely

Anyone outside of the Islander fan base is likely looking at Tavares like a pipe dream but someone's pipe dream is probably coming true come July 1.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If Tavares wants to stay in "New York", and he has reasons to, I wonder if New Jersey had a good a chance as any.
I don't think the Rangers are that far away from being good. It doesn't take much time, look at the Leafs, Devils.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No way he goes to Toronto. Don't see them committing long term given what's coming up cap-wise, with Matthews/Kadri/probably Nylander already down the middle, and absolutely nothing on the right side of the blue line.

I am not convinced we will ever see Nylander as a true center.

That said I don't think Tavares is coming to Toronto either but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than going to Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad