Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If they end up not getting in before 1/3 expires the Kings are better off retaining. They will still be pressed for time though as his NMC kicks in July 1st.

PLD to a team needing players even at $6m is probably a palatable gamble.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
If they end up not getting in before 1/3 expires the Kings are better off retaining. They will still be pressed for time though as his NMC kicks in July 1st.

PLD to a team needing players even at $6m is probably a palatable gamble.
PLD at 6m for 2-3 yrs is palatable, but at 7 yrs is scary as hell.
I agree with you, though, someone will likely take a flyer at that 6m value

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There is not a single skill or attribute that PLD was even average at this season. He looks like Mike Richards or Dustin Brown at the end of their careers. I would not be surprised if Kopitar is still in the NHL after Dubois' last NHL game.
And again, he's 26 coming off of two 60 point seasons in Winnipeg. They need to treat this player the same way they treat Fiala. With kid gloves. But if you limit their icetime, the offense won't be there.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
And again, he's 26 coming off of two 60 point seasons in Winnipeg. They need to treat this player the same way they treat Fiala. With kid gloves. You limit their icetime, the offense won't be there.

Fiala's another guy that I think LA should trade. He's a prime example of a player that can get you to the playoffs but once you're there... he's got 23 points in 43 playoff games and is a -12 throughout his career. He was an absolute no-show for LA last week. He's the most skilled forward the Kings have had since Ziggy Palffy, but if he's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem. He takes some absolutely brutal penalties and makes braindead turnovers too.

Now that I've talked him up, any takers on Fiala?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I mean the Bruins apparently tried to trade for him at the deadline, but Ullmark killed it with his NTC. I don't think anything that's happened between then and now would really make them change their minds if they actually wanted him. So we can assume that at least one team is interested and willing to give him a shot.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I previously suggested Norris for Dubois, and most Sens fans hate it. The idea being, Norris is now a huge question mark. If he comes back, there is no guarantee that he won't be tentative or that his shot won't be neutered.

Norris does not have a NMC or signing bonuses, so from LAK's POV, it's a kick the can down the road type move. Where there might be more avenues to get out of the Norris contract down the road.

There is also the DJ Smith connection, if he becomes head coach in LA.

With that said, I would want LAK to take Korpisalo as well. The Dubois context is a lot worse than the Norris one, more term and money is left, there needs to be an equalizer.

I mean the Bruins apparently tried to trade for him at the deadline, but Ullmark killed it with his NTC. I don't think anything that's happened between then and now would really make them change their minds if they actually wanted him. So we can assume that at least one team is interested and willing to give him a shot.

Where was it reported that the Bruins tried to get him? What was the context? Was there retention or a bad context going to LAK?

It would not at all surprise me if teams still want Dubois. Big skilled players like him get a lot of chances. It would surprise me if a team is willing to gamble on that contract without LAK doing something to soften the blow.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I previously suggested Norris for Dubois, and most Sens fans hate it. The idea being, Norris is now a huge question mark. If he comes back, there is no guarantee that he won't be tentative or that his shot won't be neutered.

Norris does not have a NMC or signing bonuses, so from LAK's POV, it's a kick the can down the road type move. Where there might be more avenues to get out of the Norris contract down the road.

There is also the DJ Smith connection, if he becomes head coach in LA.

With that said, I would want LAK to take Korpisalo as well. The Dubois context is a lot worse than the Norris one, more term and money is left, there needs to be an equalizer.

Where was it reported that the Bruins tried to get him? What was the context? Was there retention or a bad context going to LAK?

It would not at all surprise me if teams still want Dubois. Big skilled players like him get a lot of chances. It would surprise me if a team is willing to gamble on that contract without LAK doing something to soften the blow.
Norris likely ends up on LTIR retirement though I don’t hate the trade. It’s too bad PLD isn’t a little meaner. If he had a nasty streak to go along with his size and skill, it would give him more room to dog it half the time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty hard to accommodate a large cap hit with that much term remaining. Team would have to really believe in the player to make that move and given his lackluster play. Taking on that kind of commitment doesn't seem prudent at least not for that large a cap charge.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
images_do_not_want-741689.jpg

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Norris likely ends up on LTIR retirement though I don’t hate the trade. It’s too bad PLD isn’t a little meaner. If he had a nasty streak to go along with his size and skill, it would give him more room to dog it half the time.

The word is that Norris is going to attempt to come back.

Until he proves he can be an effective top 6 center post-injury, LTIRetirement would almost be preferable to him coming back and struggling as an 8M player. If he was set for LTIRetirment, I doubt the Senators make that trade.

What makes the trade doable for Ottawa is the uncertainty around the level of play they can expect from Norris. Also, the need to shake things up after another bad season.

To illustrate how risky the contract is, Dubois will have 7 years remaining with a NMC for 4 of those years. He is owed 59M in real cash. He is effectively buyout proof after the age of 26 because of his 11.5M in outstanding signing bonuses. For example, a buyout in 2025-26 only clears a few million dollars over the lifetime of the contract. He would be owed 51M, they would have to pay a replacement body 775k+ x 6 (let's just call it 6M), and a buyout would cost about 38M over 12 seasons. Along with the replacement body to cover the roster spot, you're looking at spending about 44M in cap simply to have him go away, when his outstanding cap is only 51M. So a 2025-26 buyout really only saves about 7M over the lifetime of the contract.

Compare that to Norris. He has virtually no trade protection (a paltry 10 team list starting in 2026). He has no signing bonuses. He has a lower cap hit, and he has a year less of term. He is also a possible LTIRetirement candidate if he hurts his shoulder again, or doesn't recover well from his current injury (third shoulder surgery?). There is a lot more flexibility there to get out of that contract if it doesn't work out. The Dubois contract is a marriage, not a contract. There is no out after this off season.

It's why I understand Sens fans who balk at the idea. It's also why I think Korpisalo has to be involved to even the negative value out a bit. On the plus, Korpisalo was good for LAK during the regular season last year.

If it's Norris+Korpisalo for Dubois and a good roster player, then it starts to look more like a possible solid retool move for the Senators.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That 14-year buyout option has to be on the table at this point. It's either that or you bet on him bouncing back. There is no other option. You can't flip him in a trade with that contract, even if you retain or add a sweetener. It's way too many years to commit to.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Kings give us a good asset and take on Carry Price contract for Dubois? LA get out from the whole 8.5 million. Park Price in LTIR. Price due 15 million next 2 years then a third year at 1.5 million
Habs buy out Dubois they have tons caproom. Around 1.4m in caproom is chump change to them. Costs Habs 10 million in cash but over 16 years. But we gain good asset.

Zero chance the Canadiens do this. None. No owner or GM would commit to that. It's LA or a buyout for Dubois. There is no other option.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah but thats their only choice 🤣

He is worth 1 mil, if kings and another team retain his cap hit.
And what do Ks pay this 3rd team to eat THAT MUCH cap for THAT LONG..........?

Zero chance the Canadiens do this. None. No owner or GM would commit to that. It's LA or a buyout for Dubois. There is no other option.
Ks have to accept this, or add ++ in assets w/pld for + assets along w/jettisoning pld contract

in such instance, do not see that unless it is a primo young asset, e.g., Byfield or Clarke
which the board is not bullish on so it is looking like
do the early buyout
but if that is stymied due to when season ends
then the later buyout

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nuclear level toxicity is exaggerating things beyond the actual reality. Fans are fueling each other right now and it's a bandwagon party out of control.

Kings will likely stay put and try to manage the situation better next year. Fun to chit chat about this situation right now however.
Nope. It's nuclesr level toxity for our Habs.

This isn't the 70s Habs with wall to wall leadership to put him in his place, or even the Weber/Price led Habs. This is a young team led by a youngster that is growing into a hard working and responsible team culture.

PLDonkey is not welcomed...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

This isn't the 70s Habs with wall to wall leadership to put him in his place, or even the Weber/Price led Habs. This is a young team led by a youngster that is growing into a hard working and responsible team culture.

Cool.
This isn't a PLD to MTL thread but just a PLD thread. No need to bash him when you can simply stay away from this thread.

Dubois is a decent player but doesn't fit LAs style of play. If LA was looking to add players to get past the Oilers they banked on the wrong guy. Should have gone after ROR or someone similar. Swapping him for Huberdeau won't help much either.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And what do Ks pay this 3rd team to eat THAT MUCH cap for THAT LONG..........?

Ks have to accept this, or add ++ in assets w/pld for + assets along w/jettisoning pld contract

in such instance, do not see that unless it is a primo young asset, e.g., Byfield or Clarke
which the board is not bullish on so it is looking like
do the early buyout
but if that is stymied due to when season ends
then the later buyout

I don't think there there is any realistic asset that LA can add that would entice a team to trade for him. I do not think there is a single trade possible out there. He has way too many years left even if they eat salary.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cool.
This isn't a PLD to MTL thread but just a PLD thread. No need to bash him when you can simply stay away from this thread.

Dubois is a decent player but doesn't fit LAs style of play. If LA was looking to add players to get past the Oilers they banked on the wrong guy. Should have gone after ROR or someone similar. Swapping him for Huberdeau won't help much either.
No, i can't stay away and neither do you have a say in that. Use the ignore button.

The LA forum has a thread on him and he's universally persona non grata in that thread by LA fans.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

They wanted him a year ago and Dubois has talked openly about how much he liked working with St.Louis in Columbus and the respect he has for him.

I don't think it'd be the move for Dubois to make if he flames out of LA but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs would have interest on a short-term deal.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They wanted him a year ago and Dubois has talked openly about how much he liked working with St.Louis in Columbus and the respect he has for him.

I don't think it'd be the move for Dubois to make if he flames out of LA but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs would have interest on a short-term deal.
Seriously doubt that because this is his third strikout.

Hab fans and Francophone media will eat him alive. Hughes and particularly Molson won't risk that level of potential fail and hate.

We dodged a bullet...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think there there is any realistic asset that LA can add that would entice a team to trade for him. I do not think there is a single trade possible out there. He has way too many years left even if they eat salary.
I would say in a vaccum Byfield = untouchable not realistic.

But I add if Rs include 2 elites, Panarin + Shesterkin for Byfield + PLD
that should be a discussion
UNLESS
you are so certain the ceiling on Byfield is so high you can't let him go.

Rs fans would not be crazy about that ^, but we are uniquely able to make it work.
We have Garand + Quick + to cover net
and
we have Othmann to step in for bread

granted, Oth <<<< bread, but there is value in repositioning the team going forward with cap + youth
3 steps backwards, 5+ forwards

So 2 elites and no pld headache.
But ya gotta bite the bullet on By guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad