Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dubois for Huberdeau.

Dobois waives to the Habs and the Habs have anchor contracts to make it work. Not sure if Gallagher would waive but we do have Anderson as well. I think Gallagher only has a 6 team no trade list anyways. Anderson has a 5 team no trade list. Doubt the Kings are on it.

Huberdeau might waive to LA but doubt Dubois waives for Calgary.

If the Kings do want to make a quick change after a year of Dubois, and they want nothing to do with a buyout, I feel the Habs are the only team that can help and he would waive the NMC. Other teams could help but does he waive.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If reports are true and Montreal management was interested last year, I see no reason why they would not still be interested today, warts and all.
Because he's a lazy quitter and the excuses have run out for him. I think he can still bounce back and be a 60 point player, but I have zero interest in him at that contract even if we are giving up negative assets in Gallagher+Anderson. I also can't see LA retaining on him to get back cap dumps with term, they might as well bite the bullet and buy him out or hope he bounces back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If reports are true and Montreal management was interested last year, I see no reason why they would not still be interested today, warts and all.

No doubt in my mind the Habs were in talks with the Jets but we just couldn't offer that futures package the Kings offered and I feel the Habs didn't want to pay Dubois more than Suzuki as well.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If LA buys him out. Not sure how much interest there is at his current contract and given he's still young enough to get 1/3rd buyout for LA to attach anything significant. I'm not suggesting Clarke, but like a combination of 1st, some retention, Kaliyev, other picks/prospects

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
If LA buys him out. Not sure how much interest there is at his current contract and given he's still young enough to get 1/3rd buyout for LA to attach anything significant. I'm not suggesting Clarke, but like a combination of 1st, some retention, Kaliyev, other picks/prospects
Just buy him out and start the rebuild! Don’t give up more assets in that piece of shit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because he's a lazy quitter and the excuses have run out for him. I think he can still bounce back and be a 60 point player, but I have zero interest in him at that contract even if we are giving up negative assets in Gallagher+Anderson. I also can't see LA retaining on him to get back cap dumps with term, they might as well bite the bullet and buy him out or hope he bounces back.

Pretty sure the Kings would be more open to anchor contract for anchor contract that doesn't last as long but maybe they retain $1.5M.

$31M buyout of actual money is a big deal. Fans like to throw owners money around but if you were the Kings GM, you would be dumb to approach ownership to pitch that idea.

Risks are there for both teams if they make a Kings/Habs trade but the risks are still there to both teams if they do nothing. Anchor contracts are anchor contracts.

I feel MSL would manage Dubois well.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
32 thoughts had a brief message about PLD today, but it didn't register until it was too late and I'm not sure where it happens, but fairly certain it's in the later part.

I think it was just something along the lines of LA might have to address him/that situation this off season

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Kings didn't do the Habs any favors. All they did was offer a big package that nobody else would.

Habs were clearly interested but not at that cap hit and not at that trade price. Even if the Kings didn't offer that package, the Habs were still not going deep like that (trade value and AAV).

If I were the Kings, I'd play Dubois with talent. Placing him on the 3rd or 4th line with limited talent is miss management. He's not the type to lead a line by himself. He was a pt/game player when playing with Connor on the Jets and a fraction of that when they took him off.

I'm personally open to a anchor contract for an anchor contract with the hopes of both teams getting more from their new players.
If anyone is going to get across to PLD it's Marty IMO. Still, such a big risk to take on his salary and attitude with such a young, up-and-coming team.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'd trade Ryan Graves or Tristan Jarry for him and a pick.
Kings current goaltending coach is Mike Buckley who worked with Jarry in Pittsburgh. So there's a connection.

Kings also need a bottom pair LHD.

So even though Graves/Jarry aren't ideal, either option probably works for LA.

Reactions: Reaper45

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, just spend the Owners money and throw away $31M. Owners are billionaires and they don't really care about $31M eh? Sorry, but that is not a realistic option even if it's $31M spread over 14 years. Only way I see him being traded is for another bad contract. Two players changing teams with the hope it turns around for both players... Lucic/Neal type trade.

How about Gallagher for Dubois? Habs include Dvorak and/or Dubois with $1M of retention. Not exactly like this but a platform to discuss. We can add Harris in the deal. Decent bottom pairing D who is still improving.

Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for next season).

Dvorak replaces Dubois at 3C and Gallagher can possibly be re united with Danault?

It's very possible both Gallagher and Dubois waive their NMC
I was thinking about something around PLD for Gallagher also. I don't think LA would be willing to retain for 7 years though.

Dubois's NTC doesn't kick in for awhile I believe.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Kings current goaltending coach is Mike Buckley who worked with Jarry in Pittsburgh. So there's a connection.

Right like no Dubois trade would be ideal but I’d come away happier after acquiring either than continuing with Dubois.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was thinking about something around PLD for Gallagher also. I don't think LA would be willing to retain for 7 years though.

Dubois's NTC doesn't kick in for awhile I believe.

Not sure if the Kings would want to retain that long either but at the end of the day, it's a 3 year anchor for a 7 year anchor at a higher cap hit. It this deal develops, we have to sort it out for both sides where both sides are content.

Dubois NMC kicks in July 1st. I'm sure Dubois waive to Montreal after July 1st but before that, Kings would have to find another team to take on another anchor contract. Maybe Huberdeau. He has a NMC as well and probably waives to LA. I don't imagine he likes it in Calgary at this point and could use a change as well.

Right like no Dubois trade would be ideal but I’d come away happier after acquiring either than continuing with Dubois.

His NMC kicks in July 1st I believe. Call the flames before then and maybe a Huberdeau/Dubois trade works. I'm guessing Huberdeau waives to LA but that's an even larger contract vs Dubois. I'm sure the Flames would say yes but you would probably not like the $10.5M cap hit.

After July 1st, it becomes more difficult with the NMC with Dubois. Doubt he waives for the Flames. I do think he waives for the Habs

I'm open to a Gallagher/Dubois trade but like the post above, we would have to sort out the 3 years vs 7.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If anyone is going to get across to PLD it's Marty IMO. Still, such a big risk to take on his salary and attitude with such a young, up-and-coming team.

Risks for sure. I have faith Dubois is not toast and MSL manages him well with the Habs.

I think he needs to play with talent on his line. Expecting him to lead a line by himself is clearly not going to work.

It's also risky to the Habs to keep our anchor contracts like Gallagher and Anderson as well. Got to evaluate the risks of staying put or making the move.

Reactions: malcb33

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Habs should take bpa at 5OA regardless of position.

Need/desire to add pivot does not justify gamble on pld at full pop, full term.

Now, if Rs - Ks do m prop deal above, and Rs wind up w/him, it is conceivable that NY could be willing to eat 50% max cap hit for meager return, just to recover some cap and lose the drama.

Also, not sure he would not put out fully for Sens...

underline = yes
bold = maybe

Not even close to a maybe. 8.5 and he had 40 pts. Wings fans complain about Copp at 5.25 and he had 40 pts and better defence than Dubois.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Might be something that develops. There is a fair chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive.

Dubois's time with LA didn't pan out like it was expected while Gallagher's days with the Habs are numbered. Gallagher has slipped a bit for sure but he still can play and being reunited with Danault might get him back to where he was. Gallagher has been great at taking a lower role and not complaining which shows good character. He had a solid 2nd half this year.

I do think it has a fair chance at making both teams better. Who knows for sure. Habs taking on Dubois for 7 years and managing his energy/laziness could be a challenge but I trust MSL would get the best out of him.

Dvorak may not be the flashy type but he does a lot of things well in the 200' game and wins a lot of key faceoffs.

Overall, I do agree it makes the Kings forward group more rounded and the bottom 6 improves. As time moves forward, we are realizing that you can only win with complete rosters.

Not all moves are created equal. Pointing out past fails doesn't really factor in every future move you might make.

That's a deal I would consider. It's not an automatic no for me. Both Gallagher and Dubois are overpaid.
The difference being one has an AAV of 6.5M with 4 years left and to other has 7 year left at 8.5M. Sure he is younger but he will be 26 in a little over a month I think and he has shown nothing, IMO, to be worth the salary he got. had never scored 30 goals or above 63 points. On his 3rd team and seems to have as many or more downs than ups. Not worth the risk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The difference being one has an AAV of 6.5M with 4 years left and to other has 7 year left at 8.5M. Sure he is younger but he will be 26 in a little over a month I think and he has shown nothing, IMO, to be worth the salary he got. had never scored 30 goals or above 63 points. On his 3rd team and seems to have as many or more downs than ups. Not worth the risk.

With my proposal, Dubois comes at $7M or $7.5M. A little savings. I would decline the trade if he comes making more than Suzuki. Bad example to set.

Basically, the ones who say no, think Dubois will be the version he was this season with the Kings forever now. I don't see it that way. I see the Kings miss managing him and playing him with limited talent on the 3rd line. Trying to spread out their talent on 3 lines kind of thing. The version I see as a potential is the one that we seen when he played with Connor last year. He was a pt/game player. I just don't think he is the type to lead a line by himself.

Very similar to Lehkonen management. Devalue him when Habs bounced him all over the place with horrible centers and now that he is playing with talent with the Avs, he is awesome. Gaudreau? 100 pts forward with some talent on the Flames and blah with limited talent on the Blue Jackets.

This to me is asset management issues. Motivating the player who has shown flashes of brilliance by placing him in the best spot to succeed. Not an automatic no for me. We need his size and skating and I trust MSL would mange him well. He has clearly wanted to play for the Habs for a while now. That's no secrete.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Rangers are Cup contenders right now. There is no way they are taking a step back to make this deal in the hope it helps them out with salary cap in the long term. And even not considering that, the value is way off. The Rangers are giving up one of the league's best goalies in his prime and a top forward for Byfield -- plus 100% of PLD's contract, which has negative value. Simply awful.
sorry no, this is the stereotype that must be corrected.

first and foremost, max chance to win cup = extending the window for max possible duration
THAT = >>> to short term rentals etc
build w/foundation pieces = smartest
proof? Blackhawks, Bruins + Bolts

second, and not irrelevant, this CLEARLY was not an overture to take on 8+m long term to be rid of 16m thru next season on expiring contracts
you did not explicitly say that, but that is the upshot inference of what you said.

Finally, as I said, taking on a long term albatross would require long term ongoing compensation to be worth it.
Byfield like LaF + KK is not a finished product, but he holds such promise to the necessary degree
while obv today bread>Othmann/Berard and Shesty>Garand, these are reasonable fallback positions for NY
adding Byfield holds hope of long term first line solution: Kreider -By - Zib !!!!!
No By guy, no deal

Maybe a 5th and Goodrow for PLD 50% retained? Find another team for more retention and bump it to a 4th.
no, we do not want that dead weight albatross of a contract w/o Byfield

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I'd prefer Jarry, but feel like Graves makes more sense.

These threads are useless. Nobody is taking a 7 year cap dump. We are stuck with the worst contract in the league. This is what happens when you have awful management.

I think PIT would easily dump a contract on LA to get Dubois. Rakell, Graves, Jarry.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Pretty sure the Kings would be more open to anchor contract for anchor contract that doesn't last as long but maybe they retain $1.5M.

$31M buyout of actual money is a big deal. Fans like to throw owners money around but if you were the Kings GM, you would be dumb to approach ownership to pitch that idea.

Risks are there for both teams if they make a Kings/Habs trade but the risks are still there to both teams if they do nothing. Anchor contracts are anchor contracts.

I feel MSL would manage Dubois well.
Blake’s wasted 100’s of millions of dollars and 6 years get rid of the root of the problem and all of his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad