Pierre-Luc Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry, I didn't know you shouldn't do that here. I tried to separate the picked parts with extra space but I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I understand what you were trying to do. No issues with it.

I just wondered why you posted that the CBJ expected Dubois to play before 2019 (I interpreted that to mean you thought that I didn't have him making the team until 2019) when I clearly posted that I thought he would make the team next season. That was the part you left out.

That's all. :)

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I understand what you were trying to do. No issues with it.

I just wondered why you posted that the CBJ expected Dubois to play before 2019 (I interpreted that to mean you thought that I didn't have him making the team until 2019) when I clearly posted that I thought he would make the team next season. That was the part you left out.

That's all. :)

Good, thanks :) (yes, another smiley here)

It's hard to be exact enough especially when I try to write in a rush. You wrote earlier that you'll start worrying if PLD hasn't been turning into a good NHL player by 2019. I could and should have been more clear also there when I referred to your message.

Anyway, I think there is no reason to postpone evaluation until that late, as it's part of the business that you make evaluations based on the current situations. If PLD was doing amazingly well right now people would be excited about that and not wait until 2019 with that. The same is true if he has a great World Championship tournament or plays a strong spring. But yes I see what you meant and kind of agree as well.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Scoring a ton of points in junior doesn't guarantee success either. There have been plenty of prospects end up busting and there's no indication that will happen based solely on stats. All junior leagues can have vast differences in quality of teams and prospects can pile up the points against the bad teams and struggle against the good teams, but their average points per game looks great.

What works in juniors doesn't always work in the NHL and prospects who bust frequently are resistant to making those adjustments to their game.

Dubois seems to be struggling, but that can be better than everything coming very easy. How Dubois deals with this is the most important element. Hopefully he's trying to play an NHL style game, make improvements based on feedback he's gotten from the CBJ staff and concentrate on the elements of his game that he needs to work on so he can make the Jackets. If that means he's not doing things like floating and cherry picking that a lot of juniors do, then he's not going to put up as many points.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Based on his first WJC game:

I don't like how he is being utilized (LW - 5 on 5, in front of the net - PP). He looks slow. He really needs to work on his skating and he just doesn't look right. He also needs to work on his stick handling. He has good size and is a good passer.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
based on his first wjc game:

I don't like how he is being utilized (lw - 5 on 5, in front of the net - pp). He looks slow. He really needs to work on his skating and he just doesn't look right. He also needs to work on his stick handling. He has good size and is a good passer.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thought he was very average except his exceptional forecheck that led to the 3rd Canada goal, and obviously his nifty pass behind the net. Aside from those two plays he was very average.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Thought he was very average except his exceptional forecheck that led to the 3rd Canada goal, and obviously his nifty pass behind the net. Aside from those two plays he was very average.

So other than being responsible for setting up 2 goals, he was average?

I think every team would take that in every game.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
True.....also keep in mind that he's been playing center for a year and he is playing wing at the WJC's. He was pretty bad during the exhibition game I saw, so hopefully it's just a case of getting used to playing wing again.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
From Cory Pronman this am,

Dubois is being looked to as a top player. And while he is good/likely will be better, fair to say underwhelmed from pre tourney to today.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
From Cory Pronman this am,

Dubois is being looked to as a top player. And while he is good/likely will be better, fair to say underwhelmed from pre tourney to today.

Is he AHL eligible next year? Don't see hims slotting right into Jackets lineup based on draft position. From reports on his current play have to believe that players like Zaar, Bjorkstrand, etc may be better? Beginning to sound like a project player, wonder what his ceiling is?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is he AHL eligible next year? Don't see hims slotting right into Jackets lineup based on draft position. From reports on his current play have to believe that players like Zaar, Bjorkstrand, etc may be better? Beginning to sound like a project player, wonder what his ceiling is?

Theres tons of skill there I just think his biggest hurdle is a proper offseason training program. Atkinson had similar issues starting his NHL career of getting fatigued and I think Dubois is having the same issue in a lower league so he has a lot of work to do. I dont think skill is even slightly a problem and I dont question his work ethic I just think he needs more guidance with training.
I was one of the guys who crapped on Rychels WJC because I thought he was horrible and had a lot of major issues but I dont get the same feeling with Dubois, I think tweaks need to be made but not major changes in multiple areas

And no he wont be AHL eligible. He doesnt even turn 19 until the end of June. Not Werenski young compared to his draft class but still pretty young

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Theres tons of skill there I just think his biggest hurdle is a proper offseason training program. Atkinson had similar issues starting his NHL career of getting fatigued and I think Dubois is having the same issue in a lower league so he has a lot of work to do. I dont think skill is even slightly a problem and I dont question his work ethic I just think he needs more guidance with training.
I was one of the guys who crapped on Rychels WJC because I thought he was horrible and had a lot of major issues but I dont get the same feeling with Dubois, I think tweaks need to be made but not major changes in multiple areas

And no he wont be AHL eligible. He doesnt even turn 19 until the end of June. Not Werenski young compared to his draft class but still pretty young

I agree. It is not a question of talent or size. It is a question of confidence, skating, etc....

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Dubois was on the ice for what, 3 or 4 powerplay goals? Canadian fans were making him the whipping boy in the GDT it seemed, but I thought he played a fine game. Had a nice assist on Barzal's goal.

That's kind of the way it goes with the world juniors, couple guys start bashing one player and suddenly it's all anyone wants to do.

I think PLD was prboably a top 3 forward last night, directly created two of the 5 goals, was on the ice for every powerplay goal, drew the penalty that lead to one of the PP goals, etc.

In the last pre-tournament game I'd say he was top 2 or 3 forwards again, I counted and he created the most scoring chances for Canada and also set up the Fabbro goal.

He's playing whatever Ducharme asks of him basically (net front on the PP, he played that at 16 in the Q but last year he didn't), and Left Wing, hes more comfortable on the right side/center in my opinion, he's just a really coachable kid I think, will do whatever the man in charge asks.

I really think he's gonna be fine, he isn't going to be out there playing a game like marner dangling around everyone but he plays a pro style game, smart passes, good decisions, good positioning, not trying to do too much individually, etc.

Also to the person who said he looks slower this year, I'd have to agree, it seems like he put on a bit too much weight or something cause last year he really did have excellent skating, it was something scouts praised but this year he just seems a little more stationary on the ice.

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I think the kid will be fine. He's a center at the end of day IMO and that position takes a season or two longer to develop in most players.

I think we'll see Abramov before we see PLD. I love VA's shoot first mentality, skating, hands, very much reminds me of a shoots L version of #13, and a skill set that I can see plugging in well on a line with Karlsson eventually. We might see him make a push for Calvert's spot (if we lose #11 to Vegas).

You won't see him at the WJ's though, he's been blacklisted for leaving Mother Russia to play in the Q.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That's kind of the way it goes with the world juniors, couple guys start bashing one player and suddenly it's all anyone wants to do.

I think PLD was prboably a top 3 forward last night, directly created two of the 5 goals, was on the ice for every powerplay goal, drew the penalty that lead to one of the PP goals, etc.

In the last pre-tournament game I'd say he was top 2 or 3 forwards again, I counted and he created the most scoring chances for Canada and also set up the Fabbro goal.

He's playing whatever Ducarme asks of him basically (net front on the PP, he played that at 16 in the Q but last year he didn't), and Left Wing, hes more comfortable on the right side/center in my opinion, he's just a really coachable kid I think, will do whatever the man in charge asks.

I really think he's gonna be fine, he isn't going to be out there playing a game like marner danglign around everyone but he plays a pro style game, smart passes, good decisions, good positioning, not trying to do too much individually, etc.

Also to the person who said he looks slower this year, I'd have to agree, it seems like he put on a bit too much weight or something cause last year he really did have excellent skating, it was something scouts praised but this year he just seems a little more stationary on the ice.

I dont know if i always agree with saying hes the 2nd best forward, 3rd best forward etc but he always makes nice plays every game but for me I just want consistency. He has the skill and size to dominate shift after shift. Hes a huge kid so conditioning is different to him then a guy like Marner as he probably outweighs him by 30+ lbs so thats just something he needs to learn whats best for him.

I dont worry about the kid and really you dont get anywhere without adversity so he has some clear goals he should look to achieve this upcoming offseason

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
BTW, I've noticed him leaving the ice for a change quickly in both games. Well before his linemates.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm trying to look for positives but he just looks so average to me. It seems like he's slower than everyone by a step or two, and he just looks disinterested and not engaged. He had a nice pass for an assist but he looks like a 4th round pick not a 3OA.

Disappointed watching him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad