Pierre LaRouche Memories

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I saw Pierre mentioned in another thread. For some reason I remember very little about him although I was a rabid Habs fan when he played. What kind of player was he, and share some memories? All I remember is that he was highly skilled and never lived up to his promise?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I saw Pierre mentioned in another thread. For some reason I remember very little about him although I was a rabid Habs fan when he played. What kind of player was he, and share some memories? All I remember is that he was highly skilled and never lived up to his promise?
Certainly an unusual case. He was scoring star in junior. Canadiens passed over him in the draft. Pittsburgh picked LaRouche and early on he was good player for them. But he fell out of favour there for whatever reasons. Montreal traded Peter Mahovlich for him. Mahovlich was on downside of his career.

LaRouche never really fit in Montreal. He had his moments but usually left you wanting more. Montreal eventually traded him to Hartford for a top pick in draft. Habs chose Peter Svoboda. Who like wise was a decent player but never lived up to his billing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If I remember, Bowman wanted to turn him into a defensive player back in the day............relegated to 3rd and 4th lines etc
Habs were stacked, and were on a run of Stanley Cups.
Very talented young player, but had some attitude issues also.....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In Pittsburgh they called him "Lucky Pierre" because he made the opening night line up because of an injury and scored a goal in his first game.
He did score 50 goals for the Habs one season so the talent was there. I guess his issues were he wasn't really committed to playing a 200 foot game which is why he played on 4 teams. A point per game player who could have been much more.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Certainly an unusual case. He was scoring star in junior. Canadiens passed over him in the draft. Pittsburgh picked LaRouche and early on he was good player for them. But he fell out of favour there for whatever reasons. Montreal traded Peter Mahovlich for him. Mahovlich was on downside of his career.

LaRouche never really fit in Montreal. He had his moments but usually left you wanting more. Montreal eventually traded him to Hartford for a top pick in draft. Habs chose Peter Svoboda. Who like wise was a decent player but never lived up to his billing.

Incidentally, when the habs made that trade for Hartford’s pick, it was with hope it could materialize into 1st overall, the Mario draft.

As for LaRouche, he was a gifted offensive player, but that’s all he did, play offense. Don’t think he ever met Dryden, Laroque or Herron during his time with the habs.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
A first rate offensive talent who hadn't backchecked since he played peewee. I recall when the Habs traded for him and wondered where he would be fit in since they were already so stacked at forward. He was the ultimate luxury player.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad