Tribute Pierre Dorion appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It's an appreciation thread. I appreciate that nobody could have done the job he did.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He was a solid scout. And honestly, I doubt anyone would've had a bad word for him if he had stayed a scout.

I get why he took the GM job (who would turn down that paycheck over a scouting paycheck?), but in the long run, it might not work out financially for him....if he believes he should still be at the GM or assistant GM level. I really hope Pierre has a bit of self reflection and takes over the scouting duties somewhere else in the league. Dude could settle in and make decent coin at it for the next 20-30 years.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Started off as a very good scout, was evidently at the right place at the right time and in way over his head as a GM but kudos for being the invincible cockroach that never died after 8 years and credit where it's due, his re-signings were pretty on point. Everything else except for a couple of good trades, complete dumpster fire...

I'm kind of gonna miss his maximum cringey pressers and interviews, and his vomit inducing "flirting" with the media... Time to level up!

Bonne vie pédé! 😆
Why calling him homosexual?
Wow you're quite a human being, congrats for acting like a teenager

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He was a solid scout. And honestly, I doubt anyone would've had a bad word for him if he had stayed a scout.

I get why he took the GM job (who would turn down that paycheck over a scouting paycheck?), but in the long run, it might not work out financially for him....if he believes he should still be at the GM or assistant GM level. I really hope Pierre has a bit of self reflection and takes over the scouting duties somewhere else in the league. Dude could settle in and make decent coin at it for the next 20-30 years.
Can’t say he was a solid scout. People say that without knowing anything. Not saying he was bad but we don’t really know.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I’ll quote myself from the firing thread…

Dorion was a great head of amateur scouting, as Andlauer made a point of acknowledging. Andlauer didn't say much about Dorion's GM tenure. But it's got to be recognized that Dorion was running with next to no support. Now, he might be to blame for that a bit himself, but mostly that's the limitation of the org he worked for. Being over-extended and having to do it all yourself will lead to lack of oversight, mistakes, bad judgment.

Pour one out for Dorion. He was in over his head with no swim buddies. And probably sufferend from Dunning-Kruger effect as he was promoted into the void of Sens upper management. If I were a POHO or owner of another team, I'd look at Dorion as a candidate for a scouting or AGM role.
“Great head of amateur scouting”

Prove it

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
“Great head of amateur scouting”

Prove it
On the assertion that Pierre was a good amateur scount and head of amateur scouting? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

On the assertion that that's what Andlauer said in his press conference? Apparently he said merely that Dorion started with the Sens as an amateur scout in 2007, without any praise.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
On the assertion that Pierre was a good amateur scount and head of amateur scouting? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

On the assertion that that's what Andlauer said in his press conference? Apparently he said merely that Dorion started with the Sens as an amateur scout in 2007, without any praise.
traded Zibby, Stone, Duchene, and DeBrincat for peanuts. His scouting was overhyped aswell

Reactions: Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it’s still a little raw and too soon.

I would love to read a book written by Pierre Dorion on his experiences as Ottawa GM.

However, as far as I know, no GMs have done this as it’s unprofessional and potentially career-ending and even if he did, could you trust what he wrote?

That being said, we’ll never really know what moves he did or didn’t do at the direction of our increasingly wacky owner, Eugene Melnyk.

His draft record gets a lot of grief around here but there are far far worse ones out there which is a bit of a cautionary tale for whoever inherits the job.

Swung for the fences a lot when it came to trades and signings, and struck out a lot as a result.

With respect to the general tenor of his leadership and treatment of staff, I admit I don’t know enough, but I do suspect that it wasn’t entirely professional.

I think he was a man in the wrong job and knew it, and consequently was very paranoid about losing it.

But he had a talent for identifying solid players at the junior level and wasn’t afraid to pull the trigger.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's not amateur scouting.
His scouting was overhyped. Outside of the high picks there isn't isnt a lot there. A lot of the prospects we got back in those deals are all not that great or busts

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He's the worst GM in franchise history and I hope he never works in the league again.
It will be real interesting to see if he gets hired by someone else and then…how that goes. Really looking forward to those stories actually. :)

Actually I think I’d prefer to never hear about him again.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
True. Great scout.

I wonder if all those "for future considerations" will land him a job somewhere.

The one thing I am happy about now, is we will only have to listen to the haters talk about DJ and Chabot for the next little while.
Once DJ goes and a real coach comes in, Chabot will be a true number 1 dman again.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can’t say he was a solid scout. People say that without knowing anything. Not saying he was bad but we don’t really know.

Team drafting during his time as a scout was above average. I get the guy was a dufus and a poor GM overall, but we can acknowledge he did have some strengths in the game.

No sense kicking the guy too much when he's down.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He was an average-to-below-average GM who, to his great misfortune, worked for one of the worst owners in pro-sports history, running a shoestring operation slapped together with nothing but spit.

Ultimately, there will be no way to accurately judge his tenure. There's simply too many variables in the mix to properly assess the work he did, whether it be the embarrassingly small front office team he had, the owner who was involved and meddled with everything, the lack of resources across the board or the inexperience coming into the job.

At one point, his only AGM was a lawyer who had never worked in the executive operations of a hockey team at any professional or semi-professional level. That sentence is f***ing astonishing to read about an NHL GM. In hiring coaches, he was never afforded more than the absolute bare minimum of salary, meaning he could never hire experienced, qualified coaching staffs. And, on more than once occasion, he was forced to compile a roster that, in real dollars, came in below the salary cap floor.

Just to be clear, none of the above absolutely absolves him of any misdeeds. But ... to bring in someone inexperienced to such an integral role in the organization and to give them no opportunities to succeed is a f***ing indictment of the miserable ownership group previous to our current situation. He never had a chance.

With that said, and despite the odds, he's managed to cobble together an exciting group of players and a roster that I genuinely believe will be in the playoffs come the end of the year. And for that I can give him some credit.

Honestly, I wish him the best of luck with whatever he ends up doing. I didn't hold a grudge against him like so many did, even though I wasn't always in support of his moves, but I can separate the person from the work. It's time to move on.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Beyond his track record as GM, he is just a bad guy. He treats others with complete disrespect and craves power positions so that he can abuse them. Egotistical, petty, vindictive, mean.

His dad was the opposite, as was Bryan Murray, but some people are who they are regardless of who tries to influence and steer them. In the end, their true nature reveals itself.

He deserves to lose his job and never get another one in the NHL until he does some serious soul-searching and self-improvement work.

I can guarantee you that everyone in that building, from the coach to the players to the office cleaning staff, is relieved today.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Beyond his track record as GM, he is just a bad guy. He treats others with complete disrespect and craves power positions so that he can abuse them. Egotistical, petty, vindictive, mean.

He deserves to lose his job and never get another one in the NHL until he does some serious soul-searching and self-improvement work.

I can guarantee you that everyone in that building, from the coach to the players to the office cleaning staff, is relieved today.

He'll never work in the NHL again after this.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I can separate the person from the work.

You can have a debate about the work. There's bad, but also good. The team, with the roster they have, is not in a terrible spot.

But the person is bad. When people talk about rotten culture in hockey, Dorion deserves to be in the group with Babcock.

He goes out of the way to make others who work with him feel bad about themselves and like they don't belong. Instead of trying to lift people up, he breaks them down.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Team drafting during his time as a scout was above average. I get the guy was a dufus and a poor GM overall, but we can acknowledge he did have some strengths in the game.

No sense kicking the guy too much when he's down.
There were other people around too making decisions etc. I’m just saying we can’t conclude any of it good or bad was because of Pierre Dorion.
I know people like to throw it around that he was a great scout. Those are just words.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's the worst GM in franchise history and I hope he never works in the league again.
Maybe not as bad as Mel Bridgeman who tried, during the expansion draft, tried to select players from both the Leafs and Habs …after they had already lost two players in the draft…. But yes, he is near the bottom of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad