Speculation: Picks that will be traded

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Free agency...

If there’s a goalie that makes it to free agency then he’s really not that good or at least good enough to be considered a 1b.

Signing a free agent goalie to back up Marty Brodeur is one thing because Marty would play 75-80% of the games. But Goalies don’t start that many games anymore and Blackwood is still relatively unproven. If/when the Devils are competitive again I’d rather have two good goalies to split the starting time. Not a good one and an ok one.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Teams will have to consider that they are a year away from the expansion draft. There is a lot of potential that anyone good enough to be traded for a 1st or 2nd rd pick will have to be protected. That means someone else on the roster gets exposed.

For example if the Flyers wanted to add 3c if Patrick doesn't look good to start next year, than it means they add another F to JVR or Voracek that would be exposed already

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Buffalo could potential trade down in the 1st for an NHL player they need.

They aren’t trading out of the 1st. There is nobody I’d trade 8OA outright for.

In any trade of picks....is this something a team would trade for and not protect or it forces them to expose a protect ed player in the ED then it’s a bad trade
Not a fan of either team, but i wonder if this would work....

To Buffalo
14OA
Domi

To Montreal
8OA
???

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not a fan of either team, but i wonder if this would work....

To Buffalo
14OA
Domi

To Montreal
8OA
???

No. Domi is not a long term solution at 2C.

Montreal would be drafting at 16 if they don’t make conference finals not 14.

Montreal would have to add more to trade up from 16 and buffalo ads nothing.

If you think it be easy to trade up you’d see more teams go from mid teens to top 10... but it’s not.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No. Domi is not a long term solution at 2C.

Montreal would be drafting at 16 if they don’t make conference finals not 14.

Montreal would have to add more to trade up from 16 and buffalo ads nothing.

If you think it be easy to trade up you’d see more teams go from mid teens to top 10... but it’s not.
That's fair, i guess i was putting to much value on Domi.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's fair, i guess i was putting to much value on Domi.

The issue is the difference between 8 and 16.

Just the difference in potential in those picks is huge. Too 10 you will usually get a First line player or very strong 2nd line player or top pair Dman.

In mid terns it’s more of a middle six player or mid pair Dman.

Domi has just 2 yrs of team control. At the deadline Domi gets a playoff team 1st in 20s, a B prospect and maybe a secon prospector pick depending on quality of first prospect. A 20spick and 16 doesn’t get you into the top 10.

If Domi was signed to a 4-5 yr contract at a reasonable rate is value goes up. Even then trading a top 10 pick doesn’t happen because Domis avg point production is the low bar of what you could get at 8.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad