Pick top-5 wingers from 2020 draft

Who are the best five wingers from 2020 draft class?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I believe we will see some more separation this year as they enter D+3 season. So will be interesting who people vote as top-5 wingers from this class.

Pick #. Name: GP-G-A-Points

1. Lafreniere: 135-31-21-52
4. Raymond: 82-23-34-57
7. Holtz: 9-0-2-2
8. Quinn: 2-1-1-2
13. Jarvis: 68-17-23-40

17. Reichel: 11-0-1-1
18. Mercer: 82-17-25-42
21. Chinakhov 62-7-7-14
26. Neighbours: 9-1-1-2
27. Perreault: 1-0-0-0

Byfield, Stützle, Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell, Holloway, Lapierre, Zary, Greig, Brisson, Bourque were all considered Centres for this poll. Amirov, Foerster and Wiesblatt were omitted since they have yet to appear.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Basically Raymond, Mercer, Lafreniere, Jarvis are pretty easy to lock in...then a flyer on the final guy. I went with Quinn, but you could definitely go a few different ways there plenty reasonably.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The locks are Raymond, Jarvis, Laf, and Mercer.

I actually have Reichel over Quinn for #5, i think Reichel is more of a total package, not just a pure offense guy which is how I see Quinn. Probably a center actually.

It’s going to be Laffy, Raymond, Jarvis, Quinn and Peterka…

Peterka would be my #6 guy, he should at least be a poll option.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mercer is probably more of a center than a winger, but as a winger he'd be a lock here.

I actually have Reichel over Quinn for #5, i think Reichel is more of a total package, not just a pure offense guy which is how I see Quinn. Probably a center actually.

Agree on Reichel. Always impressed by him when I watch him play.

Sidenote: who are the knuckle draggers voting for Holtz over Mercer?!?

Reactions: majormajor

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Basically Raymond, Mercer, Lafreniere, Jarvis are pretty easy to lock in...then a flyer on the final guy. I went with Quinn, but you could definitely go a few different ways there plenty reasonably.

Its why I made 5 options...I figured Raymond, Jarvis would be locks. Laf and Mercer not far behind.

I imagine Quinn, Holtz and Reichel will all be candidates for #5. And perhaps a late-drafted guy or two like Dufour, Coe, Laferriere will enter conversation

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Its why I made 5 options...I figured Raymond, Jarvis would be locks. Laf and Mercer not far behind.

I imagine Quinn, Holtz and Reichel will all be candidates for #5. And perhaps a late-drafted guy or two like Dufour, Coe, Laferriere will enter conversation
Mercer is probably more of a center than a winger, but as a winger he'd be a lock here.

Agree on Reichel. Always impressed by him when I watch him play.

Sidenote: who are the knuckle draggers voting for Holtz over Mercer?!?

I don't know why Holtz would be in this convo - pure finisher like Quinn only not as good at it.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't know why Holtz would be in this convo - pure finisher like Quinn only not as good at it.
I believe Holtz has been miscast as "a finisher" which is not really what he is. I feel like Devils fans often push back on that label.

But the Quinn > Holtz is fair. Hard to see a whole lot of separation between the two as AHLers.

Makes absolutely no sense to do a poll involving players that aren’t even in the NHL compared to those already in it.
Its meant to be a subjective exercise. If you'd like to wait a few years for the right answers, be my guest. But some of us are here to share opinions on players and the game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Quinn was an elite pker in Jr and very strong defensively. I have him over Mercer.

Reactions: Arwin

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Quinn was an elite pker in Jr and very strong defensively. I have him over Mercer.

Quinn is very far from being that type of player in the NHL and Mercer is already showing strong two way ability in the NHL, I think Mercer is getting underrated if we put any AHLer over him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Easy vote is the first five. I don't know why Mercer is considered a winger in this, and Perfetti is being considered a center. I'd trust Mercer to play center way before I'd trust Perfetti to play center. Add Rossi to that also. Probably not an NHL center. Mercer already is an NHL center.
I believe we will see some more separation this year as they enter D+3 season. So will be interesting who people vote as top-5 wingers from this class.

Pick #. Name: GP-G-A-Points

1. Lafreniere: 135-31-21-52
4. Raymond: 82-23-34-57
7. Holtz: 9-0-2-2
8. Quinn: 2-1-1-2
13. Jarvis: 68-17-23-40

17. Reichel: 11-0-1-1
18. Mercer: 82-17-25-42
21. Chinakhov 62-7-7-14
26. Neighbours: 9-1-1-2
27. Perreault: 1-0-0-0

Byfield, Stützle, Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell, Holloway, Lapierre, Zary, Greig, Brisson, Bourque were all considered Centres for this poll. Amirov, Foerster and Wiesblatt were omitted since they have yet to appear.
Do you want to apologize for slandering me in the thread that was closed?

You were proven wrong, and your response is there were a lot of people deriding Hughes as if there's nothing wrong with saying an untrue statement about another poster, and then refusing to retract what you said or apologizing for coming after someone like that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mercer won the Carbonneau award as the QMJHL’s best defensive forward.
Great! I like Quinns upside more higher offensive ceiling.

Quinn is very far from being that type of player in the NHL and Mercer is already showing strong two way ability in the NHL, I think Mercer is getting underrated if we put any AHLer over him.
Quinn is far from being an all situations winger?... Quinn easily would have been up all year if the Sabres wanted him to be. He had 2 points in 2 nhl games and 7 shots. It's about development and the AHL was the right place for him. He tore up the league and he got stronger. He has always projected to be the higher upside player. The last sentence just makes very little sense when they are this age if you are projecting them out. I like Mercer too, not going to slander the player. I am however very similar with Quinn. It's absolutely not only about the speed a player makes the NHL when projecting a draft.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Easy vote is the first five. I don't know why Mercer is considered a winger in this, and Perfetti is being considered a center. I'd trust Mercer to play center way before I'd trust Perfetti to play center. Add Rossi to that also. Probably not an NHL center. Mercer already is an NHL center.

You were proven wrong, and your response is there were a lot of people deriding Hughes as if there's nothing wrong with saying an untrue statement about another poster, and then refusing to retract what you said or apologizing for coming after someone like that.
The irony is that you "slandered" me in the WJC thread and then instead of apologizing when I presented receipts proving your accusations completely false, you just blocked be.

Here's your proof:

That's the kind of poster you are. Hilarious that you think you deserve to be treated differently than how you treat others.

I know Pavel can't read this, but it had to be said.

Reactions: wetcoast

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

Pavel, you spent a lot of bandwidth disparaging Hughes over the years.

For all these reasons used to claim Hughes won't make it....

Just a pond hockey player
Can't play against men
Too short for faceoffs
Skates in wide circles
Can't play defense
Coaches don't trust him (not on PK as captain)
Too small
Dependent on line-mates
Plays only in perimeter

"is maybe a second liner"
(and that was this past season...oof)

...how many have come true?

Yet, here you come again. In. Every. Single. Hughes. Post.

Throwing more poo at the wall.

Demanding apoligies for anyone that calls out your BS.

I think its time we put this routine to rest.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The irony is that you "slandered" me in the WJC thread and then instead of apologizing when I presented receipts proving your accusations completely false, you just blocked be.

Here's your proof:

That's the kind of poster you are. Hilarious that you think you deserve to be treated differently than how you treat others.

I know Pavel can't read this, but it had to be said.
Same pattern over and over. Ne'er do they learn.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pavel, you spent a lot of bandwidth disparaging Hughes over the years.

For all these reasons used to claim Hughes won't make it....

Just a pond hockey player
Can't play against men
Too short for faceoffs
Skates in wide circles
Can't play defense
Coaches don't trust him (not on PK as captain)
Too small
Dependent on line-mates
Plays only in perimeter

"is maybe a second liner"
(and that was this past season...oof)

...how many have come true?

Yet, here you come again. In. Every. Single. Hughes. Post.

Throwing more poo at the wall.

Demanding apoligies for anyone that calls out your BS.

I think its time we put this routine to rest.
Do you want to post some proof I said all those things or yet again it sounds like a criticism you think I would make so you won't bother to go back and look if I said it, someone else said it, or if you are imagining it?

I didn't demand an apology. I'm calling out your lack of respect for others that you think it's okay to slander them, and then make excuses for why you were wrong when proven wrong instead of taking some form of responsibility.

And your comment was unnecessarily hostile in response to what I said. My point about Hughes was that he's a very good player, but he's not a complete player. He's pretty flawed. He's a big scorer, but provides little else. You can't look only at the points. Those types of players always will have reduced value, Hughes or someone else that plays that way. I don't know how you can justify taking him over two players that in the scenario discussed were 1st liners.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Do you want to post some proof I said all those things or yet again it sounds like a criticism you think I would make so you won't bother to go back and look if I said it, someone else said it, or if you are imagining it?

I didn't demand an apology. I'm calling out your lack of respect for others that you think it's okay to slander them, and then make excuses for why you were wrong when proven wrong instead of taking some form of responsibility.

And your comment was unnecessarily hostile in response to what I said. My point about Hughes was that he's a very good player, but he's not a complete player. He's pretty flawed. He's a big scorer, but provides little else. You can't look only at the points. Those types of players always will have reduced value, Hughes or someone else that plays that way. I don't know how you can justify taking him over two players that in the scenario discussed were 1st liners.
There is a search tool in top right corner that anyone can use. For instance, it took me 5 seconds to find "Maybe Jack Hughes has proven to be a second liner". You have used these terms often when describing Hughes.

"Pond Hockey" 16 times
"Perimeter" 25
"Height" 23
"Face-offs" 39
"Captain that doesn't Penalty Kill" 8

Not hard to find...your comments speak for themself.

I don't know how you can disassociate yourself from your claims while saying they have been "proven right" (or mine, "proven wrong"). No one is slandering you. You have brought this all upon yourself.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There is a search tool in top right corner that anyone can use. For instance, it took me 5 seconds to find "Maybe Jack Hughes has proven to be a second liner". You have used these terms often when describing Hughes.

"Pond Hockey" 16 times
"Perimeter" 25
"Height" 23
"Face-offs" 39
"Captain that doesn't Penalty Kill" 8

Not hard to find...your comments speak for themself.

I don't know how you can disassociate yourself from your claims while saying they have been "proven right" (or mine, "proven wrong"). No one is slandering you. You have brought this all upon yourself.

I asked for all of them. Looks like you recognize that you probably exaggerated on a number of them. This is becoming a theme. You slander others and then take no responsibility for being proven wrong or unable to back up the most outrageous things you say.

I don’t know why you’re acting like this. We’ve had some disagreements, but generally I have nothing against you in my interactions I’ve had with you on this website. Is it really worth it to defend Hughes against some very tame criticisms that aren’t even entirely about him as opposed to comparing him to other players?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I asked for all of them. Looks like you recognize that you probably exaggerated on a number of them. This is becoming a theme. You slander others and then take no responsibility for being proven wrong or unable to back up the most outrageous things you say.

I don’t know why you’re acting like this. We’ve had some disagreements, but generally I have nothing against you in my interactions I’ve had with you on this website. Is it really worth it to defend Hughes against some very tame criticisms that aren’t even entirely about him as opposed to comparing him to other players?
You say I have been proven wrong, but don't say what I have been proven wrong about.
You say I have slandered you, but I have said nothing about you, but pointing out your own comments.

This whole shtick is tiresome and very bizarre.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You say I have been proven wrong, but don't say what I have been proven wrong about.
You say I have slandered you, but I have said nothing about you, but pointing out your own comments.

This whole shtick is tiresome and very bizarre.
Slanderer!

Reactions: Favin

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Well, back to the poll. It appears...

1. Lucas Raymond 97%
2. Seth Jarvis 87%
3. Alexis Lafreniere 85%
4. Jack Quinn 76%
5. Dawson Mercer 64%

6. Alexander Holtz 34%