Pick a prospect (viewing analysis)

Archtype

Jan 7, 2013
Right now, Trouba looks like more of a sure thing to be 'elite'. Thankfully, however, we have both and I fully expect Scheif to develop into a successful pro.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I have a hard time answering this. Neither prospect has cracked an NHL roster on a full-time basis, and in this particular comparison, both are facing very disparate competition (NCAA vs. OHL). The only real opportunity for comparison vs. similar level of play was the WJC, and in that case Trouba wins easily. However, I'm not going to base my view of these two prospects off a 6-7 game sample size.

If forced to choose? I would take Scheifele, simply because my view is that the Jets are more organizationally starved for forwards than they are for defensemen. Again though, it's far too early to make an accurate comparison of the two.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a hard time answering this. Neither prospect has cracked an NHL roster on a full-time basis, and in this particular comparison, both are facing very disparate competition (NCAA vs. OHL). The only real opportunity for comparison vs. similar level of play was the WJC, and in that case Trouba wins easily. However, I'm not going to base my view of these two prospects off a 6-7 game sample size.

If forced to choose? I would take Scheifele, simply because my view is that the Jets are more organizationally starved for forwards than they are for defensemen. Again though, it's far too early to make an accurate comparison of the two.

They both played at last years WJC also.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I take Trouba. Not because I am sour on Scheifele, he looks like he will be a beaut. Simply because what Trouba is currently projecting to be is a perennial all star. A big, 2 way defenceman that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. A guy who has shown he can play in the big games.

If you extrapolate both players out to their potential, Trouba is the more valuable player. The trick is figuring out whether either of them will realize that potential. I wouldn't bet against either.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nobody is forcing anyone to participate in this thread. Honor the spirit of the topic, or, just ignore the thread. Seems pretty simple to me.

Thanks.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
[mod] both is not an option in this poll.

Then, you can categorize me as "other" or "DNP" or "I don't know."

If "both" was in the poll, I wouldn't have had to add it via comment. It isn't so much that I don't want to participate, it is I don't have an answer better than "both."

I am glad we have both and I have no idea who will be better long term.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Then, you can categorize me as "other" or "DNP" or "I don't know."

If "both" was in the poll, I wouldn't have had to add it via comment. It isn't so much that I don't want to participate, it is I don't have an answer better than "both."

I am glad we have both and I have no idea who will be better long term.

Well, there's two options and "both" isn't one of them.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How are you guys missing this? The OP asked a specific question. Don't like it? That is well within your right. Ignore it. If enough people don't care, it will go away. If not, the people who do want to discuss it will be allowed to have that discussion.

This is how forums like this work. What many of you are doing is spamming, which is against forum rules.

Participate within the thread's parameters or move along.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'm taking Scheifele. I think he's a safer bet to become a top 6 forward than Trouba is of being a top line d. Especially on this team which needs another top 6 forward badly, and considering out top 2 RD spots are locked down for at least 3 years.

I like Trouba, but I doubt he ever becomes better than Bogosian defensively, and ill safely say he will never come close to Buff offensively.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm taking Scheifele. I think he's a safer bet to become a top 6 forward than Trouba is of being a top line d. Especially on this team which needs another top 6 forward badly, and considering out top 2 RD spots are locked down for at least 3 years.

I like Trouba, but I doubt he ever becomes better than Bogosian defensively, and ill safely say he will never come close to Buff offensively.

Bogosian was drafted as a skating offensive defenseman, who has developed a defensive game...Trouba was drafted as a nasty, smart, positionally solid defensive defensive defenseman who is developing an offensive game...

Trouba's upside defensively is waay higher than Bogosian's...I like Bogosian and he is very solid in his own end, but he is so valuable due to his two way play, it's not there isn't any holes in his defensive game at all...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I take Trouba. Not because I am sour on Scheifele, he looks like he will be a beaut. Simply because what Trouba is currently projecting to be is a perennial all star. A big, 2 way defenceman that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. A guy who has shown he can play in the big games.

If you extrapolate both players out to their potential, Trouba is the more valuable player. The trick is figuring out whether either of them will realize that potential. I wouldn't bet against either.

I thought exactly THIS and also voted for Trouba.

But this made me think about: Didn't we had a prospect voting last year before the season started? Every round some new came to the poll and we went from #1 downwards. I'd like to do that again. Who did it, anybody remember?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Bogosian was drafted as a skating offensive defenseman, who has developed a defensive game...Trouba was drafted as a nasty, smart, positionally solid defensive defensive defenseman who is developing an offensive game...

Trouba's upside defensively is waay higher than Bogosian's...I like Bogosian and he is very solid in his own end, but he is so valuable due to his two way play, it's not there isn't any holes in his defensive game at all...
I probably should have made myself more clear. I think Trouba could get to where Bogosian is now, but not where Bogosian is going to top out. I'm really high on Bogosian, I just love his game and think he'll continue to improve. Think he has potential to be a top 10-15 D in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad