OT: Photography

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Great photography. Even you Dube Dube Doo. Few are able to adequately capture a mother cat and her babies in their natural environment.

My passion is web development. I am currently making a progressive web application that runs 100's across the board for lighthouse scores. We are pushing the leading edge for software design from site security, to API design, JSON calls, and design automation. The project is massive as we are about 75% complete and are projected to be nearing release of version 1.0 by years end.

It is then our goal to enter the progressive web app in for some web awards to get our firm recognition and status in the industry.

What is a progressive web application?

I use the analogy of the Nokia phones of the early 2000's as the example of the internet as most people know it.

A progressive web app is like today's smart phone where you can download new apps that plug directly into the interface. Most web sites have little structure progressive web apps are built with structure to add newer and better tools. In essence we give clients websites that are so robust their imagination is their only limit.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, I got into it for a few years and fell completely in love with it. I'm at work now so can't post pictures directly but if you want you can see some of my stuff on Insta: @shotsfromrichard.

I'm pretty amateur and just got an A7r ii
That Sony is a real nice camera!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Haha, I shoot weddings on the side and you can't (or shouldn't) do those with just one camera and I'm a stickler for consistency so when I upgrade bodies I have to buy two so it adds up quickly. And by the time I upgrade bodies, the old ones are two or three generations behind and I wouldn't get much for them so it's worth more to me as spares than cash in pocket.

The D7200 is probably redundant now cause I bought that out of necessity. Not sure what I'd get for it or if anyone would even be interested any more cause everyone always likes the latest and greatest gear.
What's mostly amazing to me is that I can see four different brands on the shelf... Nikon, fugi, canon, and Sony. And of course each different brand will require it's own set of lenses. Impressive!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Here's a photo a took a few days ago. I liked the look when I took it. It kind of reminded me of a Bev Doolittle painting.
horse in trees.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I took these photos this summer at the High River High School Rodeo. A friend of mine's daughter was competing. She's in the first photo. She won the Girls Calf Roping competition. I was surprised that girls competed in that. The difference between what the girls do and the boys do is that the girls only have to rope the calf (not that that's the easy part... its not), they don't have to tie it down.

I found taking these photos somewhat challenging because there are so many moving parts to the picture and everything needs to be in focus. In the end I decided to go with a smaller aperture to increase my depth of field and focus on the horse's head and hope that the rider and calf were in focus also. I think it worked out ok.

NOTE: If you click on any of the photos that I posted in this thread it will take you to the same photo in my Flickr account where the photo can be viewed in higher resolution (try clicking on the photo in Flickr and it will enlarge it to full size). Also once there you can see other photos that I've saved in Flickr.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
What's mostly amazing to me is that I can see four different brands on the shelf... Nikon, fugi, canon, and Sony. And of course each different brand will require it's own set of lenses. Impressive!

The Fuji is the 5S Pro, which is actually a Nikon D200 body with a Fuji designed sensor. The sensor was so far ahead of its time that even though it's 12 years old, it still rivals many current cameras in terms of dynamic range and colour. It was a camera I wanted for the longest time but could never justify getting. I actually bought it a year or two again because they're so cheap now.

Not the Z7?

Nah. It doesn't add anything I need to justify getting it over the Z6.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nah. It doesn't add anything I need to justify getting it over the Z6.
I can understand that. For me, with the type of photography that I primarily do, I end up cropping a lot of my photos so having the 45mp resolution would be huge to me. However, I have to admit that the Z6 does a lot of things better than the Z7.. ie. better in low light, reduced noise, faster fps.

In the end, assuming I had the cash to buy either one, I'd probably take a pass and buy a Nikon D850.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Great shots Rubi. Reminds me of my fathers photography, he loves to take nature shots as well.
Thanks. I really enjoy getting out there and taking photos. To me its really a lot like hunting except I don't end up taking a life and I have photos that will last forever instead of a freezer full of meat that my wife won't help me eat.. LOL

P.S. I'm not anti-hunting. I used to do a lot of hunting... but as I get older I find photographing wildlife, instead of killing them, so much more enjoyable and satisfying.

Bighorn Ram at the Sheep River Wildlife Sanctuary.

Wood Ducks at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary

Pelican flying over the Bow River. Birds in Flight photos are always the most difficult to shoot.

Bald Eagle. This guy lost a foot somewhere. I wonder what the story is. Seems healthy enough though.

Last edited:
Reactions: turds

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Taking photos is not a strenght of mine, but sometimes you just cant fail. At my summer cottage, Midsummer 2016, 50minutes after midnight. Used whatever smartphone I had at the time
gHXTmVQ.jpg
I was going through my archives and came across this

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I photographed this hawk yesterday. Magnificent creatures. I love photographing birds in flight.
I consider myself so lucky to live in an area where wildlife is so abundant. This was photographed west of Turner Valley.

20181020-_DSC8495 by MJ Haidenger, on Flickr

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
That's a pretty cool location, KITH. What kind of area is that?

It's a park just on the outskirts of Hamilton! Called Dundas Peak, has a couple of waterfalls. Social media has made this place overcrowded though..a lot of Toronto folks making the drive to hike and see the falls.

Went from a mildly busy place to now shuttle buses around the area and mass parking tickets for people who just don't care about parking illegally (parking lot only fits like...20 cars).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
44715720_10155830767385737_5377865964505268224_o (1).jpg
Photographed today - Lundbreck Falls. This photo was taken with a Neutral Density filter attached to the front of the lens. The ND filter reduces the light transmission to the camera sensor thereby allowing me to use a shutter speed of 3 seconds. The long shutter speed blurs the water.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
48449057677_e02e5c5e7f_k.jpg

(taken at Spray Lakes Aug 1, 2019)

It's been while since I posted one of my photos but I thought I would post this one today. I've been waiting for some time for the perfect conditions.... ie. clear night sky, no moon, no smoke (this was a huge issue last summer as I'm sure you all remember) and best time of the year (late spring, summer, & early fall).

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Shot these a few weeks ago at Springbank airport.

46980269285_235791e30a_o.jpg

46980269765_745ab264ec_o.jpg

47107050104_e6de2120cc_o.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
61369832_2412456918823035_8826858766302445568_o.jpg
Kayak slalom racing on the Bow River at Harvie Passage

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
View attachment 247979
(taken at Spray Lakes Aug 1, 2019)

It's been while since I posted one of my photos but I thought I would post this one today. I've been waiting for some time for the perfect conditions.... ie. clear night sky, no moon, no smoke (this was a huge issue last summer as I'm sure you all remember) and best time of the year (late spring, summer, & early fall).

Plz don't judge as I've never done stargazing and have lived in Calgary pretty much my entire life, but is that how the night sky actually looks like with the naked eye when in the countryside? Or are you just using photographic magic with a lot of exposure time to get one photo of the sky like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad