Proposal: Philly and San Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That's a no from San Jose. If they are retaining, they can get a better return than Jordan Weal.
Boedker is a cap dump

You get Weal and a fourth round pick .

Weal and the 25% retained saves San Jose 1.2 million in cap space this year and 4 million next year. Good luck signing Hertl this year AND signing Couture and Pavelski next year with that 4 million on the books for Boedker.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnZin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I feel like if the Flyers are making a deal with SJ... it should be for Christ Tierney.

The value of this is fair with the salary retention.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Boedker is a cap dump

Weal and the 25% retained saves San Jose 1.2 million in cap space this year and 4 million next year. Good luck signing Hertl this year AND signing Couture and Pavelski next year with that 4 million on the books for Boedker.

How is a winger who can play both sides, put up .5 PPG, play responsible 2 way hockey, and is only signed for 4 million a cap dump?

He may end up being a cap casualty in San Jose, but he hardly has negative value.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
How is a winger who can play both sides, put up .5 PPG, play responsible 2 way hockey, and is only signed for 4 million a cap dump?

He may end up being a cap casualty in San Jose, but he hardly has negative value.
He has 26 and 37 points over the last two season which is less than .5 PPG, .406 to be exact.

Also, to answer your question. While he is a solid player he is vastly overpaid and San Jose has some key free agents this summer (Hertl) and next summer (Couture and Pavelski). Freeing up part of that 4 million this year and all of it next year could be very valuable for San Jose.

Lastly, I'm not sure how you are coming up with a 4th round pick and Jordan Weal being "negative value." Negative value would be if I proposed that the Sharks give the Flyers a pick to take Boedker off of their hands or at the very least if the Sharks sent Boedker to Philly for "futures."

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He has 26 and 37 points over the last two season which is less than .5 PPG, .406 to be exact.

Also, to answer your question. While he is a solid player he is vastly overpaid and San Jose has some key free agents this summer (Hertl) and next summer (Couture and Pavelski). Freeing up part of that 4 million this year and all of it next year could be very valuable for San Jose.

Lastly, I'm not sure how you are coming up with a 4th round pick and Jordan Weal being "negative value." Negative value would be if I proposed that the Sharks give the Flyers a pick to take Boedker off of their hands or at the very least if the Sharks sent Boedker to Philly for "futures."

Last i checked, 37 points in 74 games was .5 PPG. Maybe my math is off though.

You said Boedker is a cap dump. Cap dumps generally have negative trade value, otherwise you would send them somewhere else for something of value, even if it was a 7th round pick.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Last i checked, 37 points in 74 games was .5 PPG. Maybe my math is off though.

You said Boedker is a cap dump. Cap dumps generally have negative trade value, otherwise you would send them somewhere else for something of value, even if it was a 7th round pick.
Boedker has played for San Jose for two seasons under his current contract at a 4 million AAV. He had 26 and 37 points which is a total of 63 points in 155 games. If you do the math (perhaps a calculator would help you) you will find that his PPG average (with San Jose and under his current contract) is .406 which is less than .50.

As for the rest of your comments, you are arguing over semantics for the sake of arguing which is pretty silly. You know what I mean based on the fact that the offer was Weal and fourth round pick as opposed to "futures" or even a pick coming back to Philly, and with San Jose's cap situation.

I am all for a good debate but not when there is nothing to debate. If you are looking for someone to argue with to blow off some steam after a bad day go find somebody else.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Boedker has played for San Jose for two seasons under his current contract at a 4 million AAV. He had 26 and 37 points which is a total of 63 points in 155 games. If you do the math (perhaps a calculator would help you) you will find that his PPG average (with San Jose and under his current contract) is .406 which is less than .50.

As for the rest of your comments, you are arguing over semantics for the sake of arguing which is pretty silly. You know what I mean based on the fact that the offer was Weal and fourth round pick as opposed to "futures" or even a pick coming back to Philly, and with San Jose's cap situation.

I am all for a good debate but not when there is nothing to debate. If you are looking for someone to argue with to blow off some steam after a bad day go find somebody else.

Nope. Calculator isnt broken. 37 points in 74 games ins still .5 PPG. Weird.

Dont need to blow off steam. Just want you to use proper terminology, and not call players 'cap dumps' in an attempt to justify a bad offer, when said players aren't cap dumps, thats all. Enjoy the rest of your night.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Nope. Calculator isnt broken. 37 points in 74 games ins still .5 PPG. Weird.

Dont need to blow off steam. Just want you to use proper terminology, and not call players 'cap dumps' in an attempt to justify a bad offer, when said players aren't cap dumps, thats all. Enjoy the rest of your night.
63 (points) in two seasons with San Jose at a 4 milion AAV divided by 155 (games) = .406 PPG according to my calculator. Must be broken, I'm going to get that checked out.

giphy.gif

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Interesting. Why only take a two year sample? Seems kind of a convenient given that in the last five years he scored at a 40 point pace 4/5 times?

I'd be shocked if Mikkel passed through waivers, which is my baseline for negative value, especially given his cap is greater than his salary. Personally, I'd rather waive him then lose a million in dead cap space for a 4th and Weal (who we don't need). The only reason to move Boeddker is for Tavares cap space (which may be moot). Weal at 1.75M is worth his contract, but Sorensen, Goodrow, Grambrell, Labanc, and Meier are all ~1M cheaper and you can look at it as 2M cheaper when considering the retention.

I'm cool with going dirt cheap on the fourth line if we have Kane, Tavares, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski, Hertl, Donskoi, Meier, and Labanc as our top 9 forwards. Every other dollar would need to go to the defense. We either don't need to move Boeddker or can't retain on him.

If we don't get Tavares I'm totally fine with keeping Boeddker. Hell, if we get him, I'm okay with keeping Boeddker and considering alternatives, but those are crazy alternatives.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not all Sharks fans share that sentiment.
I don’t really care what other Sharks fans think. The educated ones realize that he scored at a .5 PPG pace and most of those were in the second half of the year. He might be making 4M but if he keeps that pace up, he is paid perfectly. If you want him give us a second. We aren’t retaining and we aren’t taking back Jordan Weal who would be in the AHL for us.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Boedker is a cap dump

Ok, I will remember this. I think we will have our answer in a month or two. I guarantee they get a better return than worthless Jordan Weal and a worthless 4th rounder. And they have plenty of space to sign their current players even with Boedker on the roster. You are just exposing yourself as clueless about the Sharks salary cap situation.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Ok, I will remember this. I think we will have our answer in a month or two. I guarantee they get a better return than worthless Jordan Weal and a worthless 4th rounder. And they have plenty of space to sign their current players even with Boedker on the roster. You are just exposing yourself as clueless about the Sharks salary cap situation.
It's a trade proposal mean to create conversation. I didn't insult your first born child so chill out. You can disagree with me (even strongly) without acting like a total JO.

If San Jose doesn't like Weal and a 4th the Flyers could potentially offer a 2nd or 3rd.

Reactions: Breeze 44

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Interesting. Why only take a two year sample? Seems kind of a convenient given that in the last five years he scored at a 40 point pace 4/5 times?
Because the context of the conversation of his current value to the Sharks and more specifically as it relates to production versus salary. He has been with the Sharks for two full seasons at an AAV of 4 million per over that time period. He hasn't been as productive with the Sharks as he was with Arizona.

I'd be shocked if Mikkel passed through waivers, which is my baseline for negative value, especially given his cap is greater than his salary.
Of course he wouldn't pass through waivers. I never said he had negative value though. If you don't like the offer that's fine, make a counter offer or say you don't want to trade him. This whole board is meant to be about discussion. Why 99% of these threads becomes personal and turn into a mess has always been a mystery to me.

Reactions: moegillknee

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Frankly, this Sharks fan is happy to keep Boedker. He took a little while (over a season) to find his place on the team, but he performed well this season when evaluated as a whole. Boedker was 5th on the team in p/60 and that includes his slow start. If he continues as he did for the last 2/3rds of the season plus playoffs he is absolutely a player to keep. For me I wouldn’t entertain moving Boedker for anything less than a 2nd and a 4th, and I’d hunt for a late 1st. If no one else wants to give up those assets I’d be happy to keep Boedker.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Boedker is a cap dump

Signing those players will be very easy for us. They will only be a challenge if we acquire John Tavares or another similar high value player.

If Doug Wilson calls the other 30 GMs and tells them Boedker is available for future considerations, there’s at least one of them taking that deal. I would rather do that than retain $1.25M for 2 years to add Jordan Weal and a 4th.

Frankly, this Sharks fan is happy to keep Boedker. He took a little while (over a season) to find his place on the team, but he performed well this season when evaluated as a whole. Boedker was 5th on the team in p/60 and that includes his slow start. If he continues as he did for the last 2/3rds of the season plus playoffs he is absolutely a player to keep. For me I wouldn’t entertain moving Boedker for anything less than a 2nd and a 4th, and I’d hunt for a late 1st. If no one else wants to give up those assets I’d be happy to keep Boedker.

I’d like to keep him as well. Good player for sure. But if we acquire a Tavares type player and need every penny of cap space ASAP, he is the first guy I would like to move out for cap space.

I'd be shocked if Mikkel passed through waivers, which is my baseline for negative value, especially given his cap is greater than his salary. Personally, I'd rather waive him then lose a million in dead cap space for a 4th and Weal (who we don't need). The only reason to move Boeddker is for Tavares cap space (which may be moot). Weal at 1.75M is worth his contract, but Sorensen, Goodrow, Grambrell, Labanc, and Meier are all ~1M cheaper and you can look at it as 2M cheaper when considering the retention.

I'm cool with going dirt cheap on the fourth line if we have Kane, Tavares, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski, Hertl, Donskoi, Meier, and Labanc as our top 9 forwards. Every other dollar would need to go to the defense. We either don't need to move Boeddker or can't retain on him.

If we don't get Tavares I'm totally fine with keeping Boeddker. Hell, if we get him, I'm okay with keeping Boeddker and considering alternatives, but those are crazy alternatives.

I just think we have too many true top-9 playmakers on the roster with Tierney, Thornton, LaBanc, Boedker, and Donskoi. None of these guys are 4th liners and to me, any line with more than one of them will be a line of “too many cooks in the kitchen”. None of these guys are reliable F3s although I would be curious to see how LaBanc performs in that role.

Last edited:

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
It's a trade proposal mean to create conversation. I didn't insult your first born child so chill out. You can disagree with me (even strongly) without acting like a total JO.

If San Jose doesn't like Weal and a 4th the Flyers could potentially offer a 2nd or 3rd.
And I didn't insult yours, so you chill out. You said Boedker is a cap dump. That is not true. There are other threads where fans of other teams are offering at least 2nd round picks. Then you add on that you want salary retained. The Sharks don't have to retain to move him, and if they decided to retain, the return would be higher. You are offering a guy who wouldn't make the Sharks NHL roster and a 4th round pick (which isn't likely to end up making the NHL), for a guy who has averaged .485 PPG over the past three years. The Sharks will do better than Weal and a 4th if they end up trading him.
I am just trying to explain why your trade offer was bad, in the hopes that you don't make similar bad offers in the future. Nothing personal.

Reactions: Starat327

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

There are two problems here that prevent a useful conversation. 1. You started the proposal with a claim that was wrong and when Sharks fans corrected you you continued with your claim despitbbeing wrong. And 2. Sharks fans haven’t been taking this personally at all. You are the one taking this personally.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Philly gets - Mikkel Boedker at 25% retained

Sharks get - Jordan Weal and a 4th round pick in 2018

No thanks. The Sharks will be trying to move a couple forwards this off-season just due to the numbers game in their lineup so Weal should be of no interest to them. Also, if we're moving Boedker to clear salary, a floor team will find his next two years to be valuable since his salary is a mil less than his cap hit. We can probably get a 3rd from one of those teams with no retention.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He isn't a cap dump. He may become one if the Sharks are players in fa, but they probably won't.

Boedker was a very good player Jan 1 and on.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He isn't a cap dump. He may become one if the Sharks are players in fa, but they probably won't.

Boedker was a very good player Jan 1 and on.

Boedker would only be moved to clear salary in one scenario that has long odds of actually happening. Chances are that he or one of the other forwards will be used to trade for some blue line help or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad