Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He's gonna want too much, imo...I don't see him settling for a contract under what a Pageau makes on the Island...we'll see, but I'd personally move him now or get that contract signed; waiting until after the season is a mistake...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
My main issue with re-signing him will be the length of the deal.

2 year deal? I'd love to have him back! 6 years? Hell no. Problem is that he's 28 though and will likely be looking to cash in on his main chance at a long-term deal. Maybe we get lucky and sign him to a 4x4 kind of deal, I'd do that especially if we can somehow get out of the last 2 years of Byron's deal by trading him along with a pick to a bad team.

Reactions: dgeezus

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
My main issue with re-signing him will be the length of the deal.

2 year deal? I'd love to have him back! 6 years? Hell no. Problem is that he's 28 though and will likely be looking to cash in on his main chance at a long-term deal. Maybe we get lucky and sign him to a 4x4 kind of deal, I'd do that especially if we can somehow get out of the last 2 years of Byron's deal by trading him along with a pick to a bad team.
I agree. 6 years is too much. 4.5x4 would be a solid contract for both sides imo but I'm pretty sure Danault can get a bit more in free agency.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Why leave out the first 22 games? He was not pacing much then...
I like Phil and always have, he is a perfect 3rd line C. Just can''t see paying him 5M. Not to mention he turned 5M down.
and we leaves the last 2 seasons ? I agree that 5m is probably to much but under that you resign him

Reactions: Wats

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Defensively pretty even but Pleky could score.

Plekanec had this weird offense. He'd have great instincts. His play suffered when he slowed down, he was not the kind of player that could look good in his mid 30's just by going in front of the net like a Staal or Perry. he lacked the size. When he had his wheels, he had 2-3 years at a level a guy like Koivu never reached imho. On top of that, he had his share of clutch moments and I tend to value that quite highly.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Is Phillip Danault a better player than Thomas Plekanec?
He isn't, but there was something about Plekanecs' offensive game that really makes his stats surprising. He couldn't control the play with the puck on his stick the way Danault does, but somehow he was a more dangerous player offensively. He had the advantage of a better shot, he was lightning-quick and deadly on the counterattack. He was also consistently one of the hardest working players on the ice and very, very smart. It all added up to good offensive numbers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is Phillip Danault a better player than Thomas Plekanec?

Assuming we have seen the best from Danault, I'd say pleky was better.

Plekanec had a similar role to danault. I think they were comparable defensively, and that pleky was better offensively. Pleky could be useful on the PP in his heyday, whereas Danault just is not.

Looking back, the habs were fortunate that the Rangers elected for balej instead of plekanec in the kovalev deal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Gotta give credit where credits due,
He's been playing superbly these passed couple weeks
THATS the guy I remember when he plays at his best, and hes a good player to have on this team WHEN hes playing like this

I STILL wouldnt give him 5m
I STILL think he should be 3rd C in the long run

But its nice to have you back Phil, keep it up, and try to bring it in the playoffs finally please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad