Philip Anshutz employing 14 NHLers during lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Philip Anshutz, owner of the LA Kings, is currently employing 14 locked out NHLers in Europe. I find it interesting that an NHL owner is benefitting from the NHL lockout yet nothing is reported about this. Any thoughts ?

Berlin Eisbarons (Germany)
erik cole
shawn heins

Hamburg Freezers (Germany)
james dowd
jean-sebastien giguere
craig johnson
brandon reid

Geneva Eagles (Switzerland)
serge aubin
kris draper
michal grosek
andreas johansson
geoff sanderson

Hammarby (Sweden)
kristian kudroc
jamal mayers.
taylor pyatt

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not the NHL. He can do what he pleases.

Crazy Lunatic

I guess it answers the question of whether current NHL owners can start up a new league. Why wouldn't this owner be allowed to start up an NHA team if he's allowed to own 5 different teams in different leagues?

Lanny MacDonald*

hawker14 said:
Philip Anshutz, owner of the LA Kings, is currently employing 14 locked out NHLers in Europe. I find it interesting that an NHL owner is benefitting from the NHL lockout yet nothing is reported about this. Any thoughts ?

Berlin Eisbarons (Germany)
erik cole
shawn heins

Hamburg Freezers (Germany)
james dowd
jean-sebastien giguere
craig johnson
brandon reid

Geneva Eagles (Switzerland)
serge aubin
kris draper
michal grosek
andreas johansson
geoff sanderson

Hammarby (Sweden)
kristian kudroc
jamal mayers.
taylor pyatt

I think the bigger question is, why is the NHLPA not up in arms over this with these members? These good "union members" are not only working in the industry during a labor action, but are working for one fo the owners they are having a disagreement with. Should these fellows not be in dutch with the PA and not continue working for these teams?

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
The Iconoclast said:
I think the bigger question is, why is the NHLPA not up in arms over this with these members? These good "union members" are not only working in the industry during a labor action, but are working for one fo the owners they are having a disagreement with. Should these fellows not be in dutch with the PA and not continue working for these teams?
It isn't the PA's labor action, though. If it were a strike, I could see that being a big problem, but the NHL owners locked the players out, so they should be allowed to go elsewhere, even if elsewhere means it's an NHL owner.

mooseOAK*

Teams have locked out NHLers playing for their own farm clubs.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Actually, in the beginning Anschütz-teams were only allowed to sign NHL-players if they guaranteed to stay for the whole season, no out clause. This changed later on.

One reason for that is he doesn't own all of those teams to 100%.

The number of players is misleading as well, most of them are not lockout-players.

Berlin:
Cole (signed for whole season, no lockout clause)
Heins (not a lockout player. He signed because he was relatively sure that there wouldn't be a NHL-season. Will likely return to the NHl in the future, but wouldn't have left Germany this season)

Hamburg:
Reid (not a lockout player, he signed for one year without out clause)
Johnson (NHL-career basically over, no out clause as well)
Dowd (same as Johnson, signed for the whole year without out clause, but has left the team because of differences with the coach)

Aubin, Grosek and Johansson aren't really lockout players as well.

Kolzig and Giguere are exemptions. Both have signed contracts, but will only play here if the NHL-season is cancelled.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
mooseOAK said:
Teams have locked out NHLers playing for their own farm clubs.

Actually the Oilers have signed Raffi Torres, who played on the Oilers team last year to a contract for their AHL team. So it is not like NHL teams refuse to let NHL players onto their AHL teams, at least in the case of the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad