OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Sometimes Ball Go Boom And Sometimes It Don’t (NL Champs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's $20M a year. What did Hand, Knebel and Familia cost?

RPs are like RBs, a few are worth big money, but in most cases you're better off developing young guys, let them walk, rinse and repeat.

Even goalies are more consistent year to year than RPs.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
After Harry died? They had three years of some of the best Phillies teams ever after that point.

2011 was the peak for me. Every night was appointment television with that pitching staff.
I grew up with him for 30 years. I still followed the team, especieally in 08-09 and 09-10, but I had always done more listening than watching on TV. Franszke didn't really come into his own to me for a while after the team started trending down. So even though they were still good, I was listening less and less.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I grew up with him for 30 years. I still followed the team, especieally in 08-09 and 09-10, but I had always done more listening than watching on TV. Franszke didn't really come into his own to me for a while after the team started trending down. So even though they were still good, I was listening less and less.
Fair enough. I "grew up" with Harry but really can't say that I was able to appreciate him as much as I could have since I was still fairly young when he passed. I do remember exactly where I was when the news came down. It happened so fast.

I've always enjoyed Franzke and think he's always been fantastic but on the other hand think McCarthy is an absolute abomination. I can't stand listening to that guy.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Fair enough. I "grew up" with Harry but really can't say that I was able to appreciate him as much as I could have since I was still fairly young when he passed. I do remember exactly where I was when the news came down. It happened so fast.

Yeah. I was up at a job site and turned on the game on my way home to go, "what?" That game was an amazing listen in its own way. Much more of a tribute than a baseball broadcast.

It's funny though, despite Whitey being all I knew as a kid, I don't remember him as well and LA is the "voice" I hear in my head for color commentary. For some reason I never liked Wheeler all that much.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It was a great season. Once Girardi was gone, the team was able to really come together and make it a great summer and an unbelievable fall.

Got a good 2-3 year window here...hopefully dombrowski goes all in. Bryce and JT need rings.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You children amuse me. I started out with By Saam, Bill Campbell, and Whitey. Bill Campbell was a Philly sports media legend and when Harry replaced him it was not a popular move. Needless to say, he won us all over.

Reactions: JXC

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
True. I like Segura, but yeah, with his age, I could see him gone.

Also, with Harper's thumb being better, and being back in RF, is Nick going to be DH'ing it? Or would the outfield be Harper, Nick and Schwarb?
Harper likely needs Tommy John. Can't imagine he does anything but DH

That has a real chance at being the league's worst deal at some point

I am once again here to tell you that automerge is the worst feature ever rolled out in the history of the internet

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
JT.

Bohm / Stott / Turner / xxx - 1B / 2B / SS / 3B
Casto or Bryce / Marsh / Schwarbs - RF / CF / LF

I think it ends up like this somehow.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This was so much fun to be a part of. That isn't sarcastic. Bryce delivered THE most memorable sports moment of my life to date, and I'm glad I was watching with my family and watching "with" you guys. Singing "Dancing on my Own" with Girl and proud Plat Snoop Dog the Puppy, with all the fans, and with my family will always be fond memories.

But again, timely hitting and timely pitching both served and failed them. How many 2 out and/or 2 strike hits/rbi did they have up until the WS? The bullpen was a ticking time bomb, but like the bats, got the job done. Brogdon stepped up. Alvarado stepped up. Seranthony is an animal. Eflin, though not a closer, could be a high leverage type guy to get them 5 outs. Ranger is what we wish Eflin was.

The regular season starting arms are there, but the postseason is a different story. In a refrain I'm tired of singing, they need something to work in the bullpen. Robertson wasn't it x2, Familia was a disaster anyone saw coming, and Hand was not good. They've tried offseason after offseason to address this and it hasn't been it, Chief. But someone has to stick somehow. That'll help the timely pitching in the back half of the game.

The front half of the game? If they get a truly reliable reliever, Suarez suddenly is your 3rd starter in the playoffs, which I think they should be making again next year with the expanded format. Is Wheeler/Nola/Ranger good enough in front of a decent bullpen? I think so, especially considering a decent arm will be relegated there a la Eflin. Further emphasis on the need of a reliever or f*** everybody, 2.

They have young arms coming which could help too.

As far as bats, I mean Castellanos has to be better next season right? RIGHT?! Hoskins is an above average run creator but a terrible fielder. If you don't bring him back, who plays first? If Castellanos steps up, a below average run creator at a run creating position would be easier to swallow- that's the reality we're facing if they let Hoskins walk.

There's a lot of money coming off the books this offseason. Do they spend it on a few pitchers? Or just Turner, an excellent run creator himself? He certainly would help the timely hitting aspect. No shifting will too. But no shifting also will further highlight this team's defensive shortcomings.

One thing is certain and that's Dombrowski is going to go for it. Whatever it is sure will be something, tell ya that.

A lot rests on Castellanos next year imo

I liked it when the ball went boom.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
It haunted me since it happened, but realistically when I think about it, we scored 1 run the entire game, I don't think we win that game either way. What pissed me off was the leaning over the plate bs even more than that shit.
yeah i think they lack of bullpen arms really hurt us in this situation i mean if we had a complete shutdown reliever, we probably would have won the game.

we need a few good relievers as well.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
wait-what-james-franco.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was pretty damn disappointed in Nola's last few starts, but they still need him for now.

TonyDeAngelo

Aug 31, 2019
South Jersey
I want Shohei Ohtani or Jacob deGrom and Trea Turner! And I want Rhys extended people would say why? Between him and Kyle, they bashed a combined seventy-eight regular-season home runs, and some of Houston's staff wouldn't walk Kyle to face Rhys! He provided adequate protection. Something Castellanos failed over and over again at his contract that's unacceptable. I understand why he was signed, but hopefully, he gets traded or fakes a medical condition to use steroids because this guy didn't hit as well as everyone knows he is capable. I'd love to get the judge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad