OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Feels Like Another Listless Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
These scrubs better lose tomorrow and just rip the band-aid off. None of this extra day or two dragging out the inevitable bull****

Reactions: trostol

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
At least we got to watch a few meaningful games to end the season. Been a while.

Don't know what you do but have to try and build a contender this offseason.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Would you guys trade Nola in the Offseason? He seems to lost a step and wasnt a winner in the past (dont perform really good in important games).

Just a question!

Dont kill me, still need a lot more watchtime in Baseball to get a grip of well educated postings ;D

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Would you guys trade Nola in the Offseason? He seems to lost a step and wasnt a winner in the past (dont perform really good in important games).

Just a question!

Dont kill me, still need a lot more watchtime in Baseball to get a grip of well educated postings ;D

just me..but i would trade anyone atm for vastly superior packages...because they will waste years of JT and Harper before they fix this really

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
just me..but i would trade anyone atm for vastly superior packages...because they will waste years of JT and Harper before they fix this really
not will they are wasting their primes along with wheeler.

This team will be in 3rd place at best next year as well. Braves will be a mid 90's win team next year. Mets will also be much better. The farm system isnt any good. Bullpen needs at least 5 new quality arms. Need a legit top 2 pitcher to go with wheeler. Then slot Nola Gibson Eflin accordingly. Need a leadoff/centerfielder. Midds the fraud owner wont spend though talks a good game. When he does spend he waste money. See VV moore anderson and others.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Just a question!

Probably. Nola, Wheeler, Segura, Herrera and Hoskins should be traded to the highest bidders and then they should try and sign some big name guys. IDK how much money that frees up but if you get some high end prospects for them even if they are not MLB ready there are a ton of good FAs this year. Break the bank on a guy like Seager or Correa, maybe go after Schwarber. Sign a guy like Canha then go after one or two of the bigger pitchers (Rodriguez, Matz, etc.)

Roll with something wild like this:

C - JT
1B - Canha
2B - Segura
SS - Seager/Correa
3B - Bohm
LF - Schwarber
CF - ???
RF - Harper

Matz
Rodriguez
Gibson
Efflin
Suarez

Boom. Reload the farm system and keep the here and now a possibility. Before anyone says this is impossible I just made these moves in The Show and worked without issue so shut up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They'll trade Nola, he'll play for a better defensive team, the results will normalize and people will go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Look at these numbers and tell me what doesn't belong? His ERA is two runs higher than the average of those guys!

upload_2021-9-30_11-0-56.png

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Just a shame that a guy like Wheeler didn't end up being the "missing piece". Those types of signings- a decent team signing a good player who vastly outperforms expectations- are the difference makers.

Of course, if their bullpen wasn't historically terrible, but even just terrible, he would have made a difference. They'd be in the playoffs and 15 games over .500 which is MILES above the last 8 seasons or whatever

Segura's season can be added in there too honestly. Took a huge step up this season. But the bullpen held everyone back. Shame, really

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So last night's "starters"
Phillies.
Matt Vierling(1B)
Aaron Nola(SP)
the only 'homegrown' talent.

Braves.
Freddie Freeman(starting 1B)
Ozzie Albies(starting 2B)
Austin Riley(starting 3B)
Dansby Swanson(starting SS)

All signed/drafted and developed by Atlanta and all regular starting players. Vierling is only playing due to injury to the Phillies *ONLY* everyday starting homegrown player in Rhys Hoskins.

Braves got Freeman, Albies, Riley, Swanson, and Acuna(who's hurt). Fried was acquired via trade from San Diego when he was in low-A ball so they certainly get some of the development credit there as well.

Even looking at high spending teams like the Yankees(Sanchez & Judge everyday players), Dodgers (Will Smith, Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger), or Red Sox(Vazquez, Dalbert, Bogaerts, Devers)

Phillies prospect acquisition and development through draft, amateur signing, or trading and getting prospects from another team has been dreadful and it reflects in the daily lineup.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Probably. Nola, Wheeler, Segura, Herrera and Hoskins should be traded to the highest bidders and then they should try and sign some big name guys. IDK how much money that frees up but if you get some high end prospects for them even if they are not MLB ready there are a ton of good FAs this year. Break the bank on a guy like Seager or Correa, maybe go after Schwarber. Sign a guy like Canha then go after one or two of the bigger pitchers (Rodriguez, Matz, etc.)

Roll with something wild like this:

C - JT
1B - Canha
2B - Segura
SS - Seager/Correa
3B - Bohm
LF - Schwarber
CF - ???
RF - Harper

Matz
Rodriguez
Gibson
Efflin
Suarez

Boom. Reload the farm system and keep the here and now a possibility. Before anyone says this is impossible I just made these moves in The Show and worked without issue so shut up.
matz lol....you only trade wheeler if you go into a rebuild. If you are trying to contend you keep him.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
They'll trade Nola, he'll play for a better defensive team, the results will normalize and people will go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Look at these numbers and tell me what doesn't belong? His ERA is two runs higher than the average of those guys!

View attachment 467198

I'm sure there's elements of truth behind the fielding, but watching every Nola start... It may not show up in FIP or xFIP... but Nola gets RATTLED by things outside of his control. Yea, a fielder makes an error and that's not his fault, or an umpire doesn't give him a call leading to a walked batter or missed strike-out. How a pitcher responds to THAT is part of their makeup as well.

Sure. The inning SHOULD have been over and you can go into statistics and should have's and say "these runs wouldn't have occurred because the inning should have been over, this play should have been made, etc..." but how a player responds to adversity is part of playing sports as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad