Philadelphia Flyers Mount Rushmore

Select four players

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not surprised at your analysis, being that you looked up his counting statistics, rather than having actually watched him play. He was indeed the best left wing of his era which included Rick Martin, Steve Shutt, and Clark Gillies, and was a two-way and possession wiz. Giroux, not so much.

Barber was a good player. But even if he was indeed the best LW of his era, he wasn't head & shoulders above everyone else.

Clarke, Hextall, Lindros, Giroux with an HM to Parent.

How can you possibly put Hextall over Parent? :huh:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Only ding against Howe is he only spent 594 games in a Flyers sweater. On every other metric he's undeniable. And that's still 100 more than Lindros.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Barber was a good player. But even if he was indeed the best LW of his era, he wasn't head & shoulders above everyone else.

How can you possibly put Hextall over Parent? :huh:
Defintely a sign of my age, but I vividly remember Hextall slashing the F*$% out of Nilsson. and that is Flyer's hockey.

Parent has the stats and the cups, but I don't know of a "moment" like Hextall has several of.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Defintely a sign of my age, but I vividly remember Hextall slashing the F*$% out of Nilsson. and that is Flyer's hockey.

Parent has the stats and the cups, but I don't know of a "moment" like Hextall has several of.

Yea, he fits the "mold" of the Franchise however without Parent they aren't nearly as successful.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I forgot...you’re an EXPERT.

I must say, you Claude Giroux apologists are so quite amusing! All this effort to build up a guy who, as captain, led his team to the playoffs a whopping 4 seasons out of 11.
In fairness to Giroux, that was one player the Flyers did very little with when compared to others. They absolutely shit the bed with him.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
For me Clarke, Parent, and Barber were locks. I ended up staying in that era with Leach, but there's a lot of Flyers that all sort of fit in that same space. Howe, Kerr, Propp, Lindros.
In the end it's probably Giroux for talent and longevity, but in these things it's always tough to vote for guys who are still active unless they're towering over everyone else.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flyers are tough. I feel like you need to have 2 of 4 from the Cup winners, and then split the other two among the other Cup finalist teams.

Clarke and Parent would be the two from the 70's

I think Lindros feels like an important Flyer, so I'll put him there.

So the last one comes down to whether you put Giroux on there to represent the 2010 team, or Howe/Hextall for the 80's teams.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As usual 3 easy ones in Clarke, Lindros and Giroux

4th is as usual hard with Barber, MacLeish, Parent, Hextall, Propp, Howe, LeClair and even a few others

How is MacLeish not an option?

5th in games played
5th in points
5th in playoffs games played
4th in playoffs points

And it was in the 70's when scoring was not close to the 80's

He was instrumental in the Flyers 2 Cups with 24 goals in 34 games...

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
As usual 3 easy ones in Clarke, Lindros and Giroux

4th is as usual hard with Barber, McLeish, Parent, Hextall, Propp and even a few others

How is McLeish not an option?

5th in games played
5th in points
5th in playoffs games played
4th in playoffs points
How can Bernie Parent, the primary reason your organization has any Stanley Cups at all, not be on your list? 🤦

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ

“Flyers’ hockey” is the reason your organization hasn’t won a Stanley Cup in 48 seasons.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
I'm not a flyers fan. My team has won more cups in the last 30 years than any other.
In keeping up with the times, Detroit won those four Stanley Cups with speed and talent. Philadelphia has followed the same size and physicality recipe for 48 years, despite the fact that the game has totally revolutionized since then.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
In keeping up with the times, Detroit won those four Stanley Cups with speed and talent. Philadelphia has followed the same size and physicality recipe for 48 years, despite the fact that the game has totally revolutionized since then.
Please re-visit your list of champions over the last 30 years and discover Detroit does not have the most either...

At least we agree that the Flyers brand of hockey of the last 48 years hasn't evolved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad