Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
is 2 preseason games enough evaluation time for bubble players? other than that I do not see a huge issue really

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saban saying he was actively trying to poach him is reassuring at least. It is odd that he and Dejean fell so much...maybe teams were getting swept up in not letting offense pass them by
Deep OL draft, but each team will have their preference. Some of the guys who played OT in college probably kick inside like Fatuna of UW and Barton of Duke. QBs went in the top 12 but only 1 TE and 3 WR, the ones that were expected went in the top 20.

For the kids, kind of better to go in round 2 than in the 20's.

JSN contract at pick 20 was $14.4 mill. Will Levis at #33 contract is $9.4 mill. $5 mill difference once you go from the 20's to the 30's. But, if you are worthy of a 2nd NFL contract, you will do better as you have the leverage of being a free agent after year 4 (barring a tag) than the 5th year option.

Aiyuk is a 1st rounder and his 5th year option is $14.1 mill or something. Higgins got tagged as a 2nd rounder, so the tag is almost $22 mill.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yea I mean, you are not incorrect, but just draft guys with upside...please.
Sure but that can lead to just as many busts as "safe" picks. I think it really depends on who is available at the time, I don't think you can make a blanket statement in the mid-late rounds. Of course you wanna get a guy in every round that outplays his draft position, but sometimes there is a guy there in the 5th round that you know will likely be a reliable backup at worst even if at best he is a marginal starter. Depending on the scenario that may be the move over taking a guy that may never play a snap but has a slight chance to be a star. Sometimes you take the upside, sometimes you take the safer thing.

If we're talking 1st or 2nd round and probably 3rd too, then yeah most of the time you want to get a guy that will be making an impact. Late third and beyond though I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all plan.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
People say this every single year. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

The most common line was 4.5 QBs in the first round at any point, albeit with the UNDER being better odds. Last year's draft's line was also 4.5, just weighted differently. But the line assumed that Hendon Hooker was the swing. Levis wasn't even in question. QBs get pushed up draft boards, but they also get talked up in draft media. I'm all for pointing out that draft betting is a soft market, but this particular aspect is not the easiest thing to parse.

I hear you, but I thought it was a slam dunk this year. I was serious when I said that if I had more than zero dollars, I might have actually bet on it. I thought it was free money. And I'm not even a degenerate. Well, when it comes to money I'm not.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Now we’re cooking.

I'll just say the same thing as when it was proposed to go from 16 to 17. Just add a bye week and not another game. I think teams are around maybe 10% to 15% of their revenue from actual game day tickets/stadium revenue.

The money comes from the tv deal. Hell, another bye week actually makes it easier to possibly add an additional day (and new tv/streaming deal).

Sell off a "Friday Night Fight" package 1 game a week to the highest bidder. Then use the multiple bye weeks to keep teams fresh for playing on a Thursday or Friday and get away from the 'short rest' weeks.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Why don’t they just push the season later? I’m surprised there aren’t more Korey Stringer incidents with football in August

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I really hope they don't draft Payton Wilson tonight. He's an older prospect, and while there's nothing wrong with that, his injury history just worries me a bit.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'll just say the same thing as when it was proposed to go from 16 to 17. Just add a bye week and not another game. I think teams are around maybe 10% to 15% of their revenue from actual game day tickets/stadium revenue.

The money comes from the tv deal. Hell, another bye week actually makes it easier to possibly add an additional day (and new tv/streaming deal).

Sell off a "Friday Night Fight" package 1 game a week to the highest bidder. Then use the multiple bye weeks to keep teams fresh for playing on a Thursday or Friday and get away from the 'short rest' weeks.
There’s anti trust laws that prevent the NFL from playing games on Friday night from September into December so they can’t do that.

They’re going to do all of that though. The extra week is going to get them more international games and more TV money along with the extra gate revenue.

The NFL only deals in dollars and cents. The players and game quality will suffer but the league is going to come out on top as they count their money.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
There’s anti trust laws that prevent the NFL from playing games on Friday night from September into December so they can’t do that.

They’re going to do all of that though. The extra week is going to get them more international games and more TV money along with the extra gate revenue.

The NFL only deals in dollars and cents. The players and game quality will suffer but the league is going to come out on top as they count their money.
Never knew there was an anti-trust agreement to not allow Fridays. I actually thought the government negotiated anti-trust exemptions for most of the professional leagues have kinda been whittled away with baseball having the strongest in place (altho weaker than it once was)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
"There were things about Bo that reminded him of Drew Brees." -- Dianna Russini on Sean Payton

:laugh:

Never knew there was an anti-trust agreement to not allow Fridays. I actually thought the government negotiated anti-trust exemptions for most of the professional leagues have kinda been whittled away with baseball having the strongest in place (altho weaker than it once was)

It’s a specific clause built around being within X miles of a high school or college football game on Fridays/Saturdays since those were the traditional times for each. No other sport chopped up days of the week like that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad