Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
So in the first televised game of the year, the first thing we are going to hear is a 3 minute explanation on kickoffs, isn’t it?

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
From my miniscule (but growing! slowly) knowledge of NFL values, this seems to be good (maybe great?) value. But Reddick was my bestie on that side of the ball, so fire Howie. I guess I'll switch to Carter now. Nolan Smith better step up this year

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
If he walked after this season, they’d get a 2025 compensatory pick (3rd?)

In this deal they either get a 2026 3rd or 2026 2nd. Would rather have 1 year of Reddick and the comp pick. Based on the fact he doesn’t have a new deal, he must have wanted out

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007

In this deal they either get a 2026 3rd or 2026 2nd. Would rather have 1 year of Reddick and the comp pick. Based on the fact he doesn’t have a new deal, he must have wanted out

Comp picks can be tricky though. If the Eagles are spenders in free agency next year, they'd cancel out any contract Reddick will get and they get no comp pick at all.

I agree that all signs point to him wanting out. Not saying it's personal, could be 100% business driven, but looks like he wanted to leave.

Also, the Eagles don't just lose his production for nothing. They also don't have to pay him his salary this year (14.25 million). That's 14.25 million of cap relief as well (although most of that will be reflected on the cap next year).

So, all in all, I think Howie did good here, seems like he got a fair deal.

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Oh snap, missed the 2026 part. Fire Howie again.

Comp picks can be tricky though. If the Eagles are spenders in free agency next year, they'd cancel out any contract Reddick will get and they get no comp pick at all.

Can you, or anyone else, explain this part to me? And when I say explain, I mean

explain-as-you-would-a-child.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, in essence, the Eagles and Jets (indirectly) swap Edges.
The Eagles actually get something for theirs though. I’m not sure if the Jets do for Huff. And the Eagles probably get more than the Jets will for Reddick.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Oh snap, missed the 2026 part. Fire Howie again.

Can you, or anyone else, explain this part to me? And when I say explain, I mean

View attachment 843323
So basically, comp picks are relative to UFA contracts signed globally, and by you. There is also a period of time involved. After June 1st (or something) you can sign whomever, it no longer counts for comp picks.

So basically, last off-season we lost Hargrave to a premium contract, relative to the rest of the signings. As a result it had a 3rd round comp picks value. Our other losses were Dillard (5th), Seumalo (5th), and Edwards (6th). They only award like 30 total each year, so basically like the top 30 UFA signings factor into this formula. We also lost Epps, and for a while, he counted, but then he rolled off once better UFAs were signed. You can also only get 4 player related comp picks.

Trades, and resigning your own UFAs don't count. You also get 3rd round comp picks if people sign your minority assistant coach as a HC ..This is why the 49ers have one (Demeco Ryans) this year.

Google "overthecap compensetory picks", and they have a projected list for next year. It was like 95% accurate.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The Eagles actually get something for theirs though. I’m not sure if the Jets do for Huff. And the Eagles probably get more than the Jets will for Reddick.
Currently, Jets have signed too many UFAs and priced themselves out of a comp pick for huff.

All depends on what 31yo Reddick gets, but I think it won't be a large multi year contract. I think we made out as good as we were gonna get here. Sucks it's 2 years out though. Hope he balls out next year.

Last edited:

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
So basically, comp picks are relative to UFA contracts signed globally, and by you. There is also a period of time involved. After June 1st (or something) you can sign whomever, it no longer counts for comp picks.

So basically, last off-season we lost Hargrave to a premium contract, relative to the rest of the signings. As a result it had a 3rd round comp picks value. Our other losses were Dillard (5th), Seumalo (5th), and Edwards (6th). They only award like 30 total each year, so basically like the top 30 UFA signings factor into this formula. We also lost Epps, and for a while, he counted, but then he rolled off once better UFAs were signed. You can also only get 4 player related comp picks.

Trades, and resigning your own UFAs don't count. You also get 3rd round comp picks if people sign your minority assistant coach as a HC ..This is why the 49ers have one (Demeco Ryans) this year.

Google "overthecap compensetory picks", and they have a projected list for next year. It was like 95% accurate.

Thank you! Still a lot of math for me, but I get the concept now. While we're at it, fire Howie for the 3rd time. I will miss Haason, and the Igles will too.

Last edited:

djw99

Feb 18, 2006

I don't think this is correct. if Hassan plays out the last year of his contract in 2024 and signs with another team in early 2025 then the jets wouldn't get the comp pick until the 2026 draft. Now the jets may get a comp pick for losing huff in 2025, but the reddick comp pick won't convey until 2026.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad