OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Just Don't Have A Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Best thing about Stafford to LA is that pawning off Wentz and his contract to the Colts is still on the table.

This is a sizable strike against a potential Wentz deal. Goff was miles better than Wentz last year, is owed less money, and isn't developing a rep as an asshole. And it still cost them a fortune to dump him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would you want to trade Wentz? You really think Fields or Wilson are going to be top ten NFL QBs?
New coaching staff that actually understands how to coach a pocket QB.
Team is rebuilding.
So only an idiot would trade a starting QB at a huge discount to play a marginal QB instead of seeing if you could salvage the 28 year old QB who has played at a top ten level.

Worst comes to worst, in two years you can dump Wentz at minimal cost and start Hurts or the guy you draft in 2022.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Why would you want to trade Wentz? You really think Fields or Wilson are going to be top ten NFL QBs?
Team is rebuilding.
So only an idiot would trade a starting QB at a huge discount to play a marginal QB instead of seeing if you could salvage the 28 year old QB who has played at a top ten level.

Worst comes to worst, in two years you can dump Wentz at minimal cost and start Hurts or the guy you draft in 2022.
Wentz played top 40 level last year. Guy is cooked, time to move on.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Team is rebuilding.

Cause Doug didnt coach Foles...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm starting to think they're gonna need to make some kind of bizarre cap formula for QBs, because teams are getting slaughtered trying to build around the position. It makes it damned near impossible to win without one of the very few guys actually worth their cap hit, and so league parity is dying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would you trade Wentz for a late first rd pick?
Then you're stuck with Hurts, or a high 1st rd pick, which would be riskier than trying to rehabilitate Wentz.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm starting to think they're gonna need to make some kind of bizarre cap formula for QBs, because teams are getting slaughtered trying to build around the position. It makes it damned near impossible to win without one of the very few guys actually worth their cap hit, and so league parity is dying.

It doesn't even need to be bizarre. Have a separate cap slot for your QBs - done.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Why would you trade Wentz for a late first rd pick?
Then you're stuck with Hurts, or a high 1st rd pick, which would be riskier than trying to rehabilitate Wentz.
The read that I have on Wentz is that he has to go. First of all, there is evidence that his head hasn't been right since he was nailed by Clowney in the POs two seasons ago. That could be the reason why Hurts was drafted; needed a decent back up plan for Wentz. Secondly, it sounds as if Wentz has lost the locker room. From what was said late in the season and after it, a fair amount of the team doesn't seem like it has his back. Additionally there are reports out there that he is hard to coach and often checked out of plays called by Dug that bombed. Finally, the public demands to be traded puts him in another place than with the team. Its a picture of a guy who got ahead of his skis.
The Eagles would be silly to throw a bunch of picks into the pot to ditch Wentz. There are teams that need a QB that will be willing and able to take him. Maybe not before the draft; maybe after the draft and perhaps even in season when a QB on a team that thinks they are a PO contender has their QB go down. The Eagles just need to play their cards right here and not panic like LAR did. If he's healthy, Wentz will draw interest.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
@BestPlayerAvailable Now I wake up to some Indy writers saying they're absolutely still in on Wentz. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We're all just guessing. I'll still believe it when I see it, but it's apparently on the table.
Going into the offseason I thought he was untradeable with his contract until I saw numerous articles saying he wasn't. I'm with you on "I'll believe it when I see it"

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
It doesn't even need to be bizarre. Have a separate cap slot for your QBs - done.

Been saying this for years. I'd even go as far as saying one contract exemption vs. the cap, regardless of position. Rookie contracts for QBs might not be the highest AAV for a team, so they could shimmy over that exemption to a veteran player at another position, at least until the rookie contract for that QB is given an extension and/or restructured to have the highest cap hit.

Someone refresh my memory, but didn't the NBA have a percentage discount on homegrown contracts against the cap? Fr'instance, say a $10MM annual contact would then count as $8MM against the cap in that year. I think that is a fan-friendly way to extend a popular player's legacy with a team without hamstringing the team against the cap.

Or not. Whatever.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This is a sizable strike against a potential Wentz deal. Goff was miles better than Wentz last year, is owed less money, and isn't developing a rep as an asshole. And it still cost them a fortune to dump him.

Not really, though.

This wasn't about the Rams dumping Goff. It was about getting a quality QB in Stafford that can make them contender while getting rid off Goff and his caphit in the process to make acquiring Stafford more managable. It wasn't about Detroit being all that interested in Goff. This was all about Stafford.
Hence the price.

Considering that any deal involving Wentz will solely be around Carson and another team wanting to take a chance at him, I still think the Eagles could probably get a 2nd out of it if they are lucky. Maybe a 3rd.
And I would very gladly take that and move on.
Jenkins latest interview about Carson being cuddled and not being very receptive to coaching/not really willing to acknowledge his flaws/work on his flaws is just yet another nail in the coffin of my former Wentz fandom. Dude needs a wakeup call if he wants to stay in the league and I don't think he will ever get that in Philly.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Jenkins latest interview about Carson being cuddled and not being very receptive to coaching/not really willing to acknowledge his flaws/work on his flaws is just yet another nail in the coffin of my former Wentz fandom. Dude needs a wakeup call if he wants to stay in the league and I don't think he will ever get that in Philly.

This makes me like Carson less, but also makes me think less of Doug.

It's starting to seem like it truly was lightning striking that we won that SB.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not really, though.

This wasn't about the Rams dumping Goff. It was about getting a quality QB in Stafford that can make them contender while getting rid off Goff and his caphit in the process to make acquiring Stafford more managable. It wasn't about Detroit being all that interested in Goff. This was all about Stafford.
Hence the price.

If someone wanted to pay them picks for Goff, then why didn't they just do that?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
ESP is indeed that. He's also right more-often than I care to admit.

He's hammered on Carson for years - and I've disliked him for it...I hope he's right about this.

Ian Rappaport thinks Carson is super tradable - so that makes me feel a little more confident.

Rapoport: Carson Wentz is 'very tradable'
He hammered on Carson because it was the contrarian thing to do. That guy doesn’t believe anything he says.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If someone wanted to pay them picks for Goff, then why didn't they just do that?

Eh. There clearly was a bidding war going on for Stafford as the hot ticket.

Do you really think it was an option for them to trade for Stafford and keep Goff on the roster?
Because I don't. Way too risky IMO. Who knows how the secondary QB market (after Stafford, Watson, etc. are off the table) would shake out..
They also lose any leverage they have the moment they trade for Stafford anyways because then everyone knows they really have to get rid off him and his caphit. Makes sense to offload him onto Detroit and pay a premium for Stafford to win the bidding war...
Eagles are in a different situation completely IMO.

With Goff you also don't really have the upside people might be able to talk themselves into with Carson(which will backfire badly if it happens IMO so I really hope the Eagles find a taker). Atleast I don't see it but I was never a big Goff fan in the first place so maybe I am wrong.
Goff right now is not the mess that Carson is but it is way easier to talk yourself into Carson being a victim of a bad situation / failed coaching/ injuries and that in another situation with a great coach he could get back to a top15 QB if he learns from this experience than you can talk yourself into Goff being great away from that stacked LA team and McVay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad