OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Monday Night Football Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I want to correct one myth, Brady never played with a lot of talent in NE. Good defenses his first few years, but dreck on offense.

His first SB team: Antoine Smith RB, Edwards FB, Patten, Brown WR, Rutledge TE, Light LT, Compton LG, Woody C, Andruzzi RG, Randall RT

His 2nd/3rd SB teams:
Kevin Faulk RB, Branch, Brown WR, Fauria/Graham TE, Light LT, Woody LG, Koppen C, Andruzzi RG, Ashworth RT
Dillon RB, Branch, Givens, Patten WR, Graham TE, Light LT, Andruzzi LG, Koppen C, Neal RG, Gorin RT (4th in points)

2007, lost to Giants in SB
Faulk RB, Moss, Welker WR, Brady/Watson TE, Light LT, Mankins LG, Koppen C, Neal RG, Kaczur RT (1st in points, his most talented team)
2011, lost to Giants in SB
Green-Ellis RB, Branch, Welker WR, Gronk TE, Light LT, Mankins LG, Connolly C, Waters RG, Solder RT (3rd in points)

2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, won 3 SBs, lost 1 in five years:
Vereen RB, Edelman, LaFell WR, Gronk, Hoomanawanui TE, Solder, Connolly, Stork, Wendell, Vollmer (4th in points)
Blunt RB, Edelman, Hogan WR, Bennett, Gronk TE, Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (3rd in points)
Lewis RB, Cooks, Hogan WR, Gronk TE, Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (2nd in points)
Michel RB, Edelman, Gordon WR, Gronk TE, Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon (4th in points)

By this point Brady was elevating mediocre OL by his anticipation and quick release.
From 2007-2018, NE was in the top 10 in points and yards every season but one (yards).
Top 5 in points 10 of 12 seasons. Only the 2007 team had exceptional talent, some of these offenses were average at best.

There were down years of course, but New England's OL play was consistently excellent during his tenure. As we know, OL play is what drives the running game, not RBs.

Scarnecchia should be in the HOF himself, but assistants almost never make the cut.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Team accomplishments and longevity is the argument. I honestly don't want to spend time today looking up the specificities of the difference in records when scoring 26+ Points (Brady's Win% laps Manning or Rodgers or anyone else you want to toss in) or how Brady lost one game in his entire Patriots' career (regular season vs Arizona) after his Kicker missed a Clutch XP or FG or Manning leaving the field with the lead and still losing 4 Playoff games with less than 40 seconds remaining. Or how one of Brady's most important skills to his legacy was getting opposing Kickers to miss long Clutch Field Goals. Going into last season, no one had ever made a 50+ Yarder against him in Clutch situations. Not one..

I've researched this deeply. We're never going to agree on it. That's ok. I'm not trying to convince you.

I just want to be clear that he has at various points been undeniably great. I did not say his argument for being great is longevity. I said it's the reasonable argument for putting him over the other all-time greats at #1. I still put him quite high on my list.

Rice clearly had the best career ever, though. That I don't really see up for argument.

Vince Wilfork is a favorite of mine. No shade on him from me.

also real quick on the fg's, no one kicks long field goals in Foxboro/gilette, same with Giants Stadium. Long fg in gillete in winter? Forget about it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
i think that is a no brainer. That isn't a position that aligns itself with longevity , same with rb. Sterling sharpe is another that should be in the hof. Sometimes a players peak overcomes their lack of longevity. sometimes it doesn't . To this day Shawn Andrews is the best run blocker i have ever seen in my life. He was also the best screen blocker i have seen in my life. He could get down field like it was no one else's business. But that does not warrant a hof career sadly though it is peak. Peak will never surpass longevity

I like something akin to WAR7. You can't be great for 3 years and make my cut, but if you're in the very top tier of your position for 5-7 years, I'll take that every time over having a significant advantage in seasons 8-12.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Why did they have to go and do this? WHY?!?

So close to a perfect lineup for me and then they throw THAT guy in there.

200.gif

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Yet another reason why its easy to hate Post Malone!

Reactions: BiggE

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So to chime in on the GOAT QB, discussion- everyone has their own criteria for how they decide this. My criteria is this, if everything else is equal who gives me the best chance to win the most? Who makes my team better?

For me, as I said, it's Rodgers easily. I've never seen another QB who can do all the things he does as well as he does them. Put him in Brady's career situation and there's no doubt in my mind that he wins at least as many Super Bowls. And after Rodgers, I think my second pick would probably be Young. He was kind of a left-handed Rodgers before Rodgers.

Counting titles makes no sense to me, especially in a team sport. It doesn't even make sense to me in an individual sport like tennis, because if you say the best is the guy (or woman) who won the most majors then you have to apply that same criteria down the line and you find yourself saying that Roy Emerson, with 12 majors, was better than his long time doubles partner who only won 11 majors and whose name is Rod Laver.

So I try to the extent that I'm able to, I judge by what my eyes tell me. And my eyes tell me "Aaron Rodgers".

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
“No player in team sports matches Brady’s success and longevity “

I feel like I’m at a Trump rally. There are countries outside the USA with sporting competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad