Value of: Phil Kessel

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm confused? Are you suggesting he's a negative value player that you would take a pick in return for accepting on your team? He's much closer to being a 1st line bargain than a cap-dump....:dunno:

No, suggesting that he could go to a near-cap team with much more salary retained.

But, as I said, I don't see Detroit (Or anybody, really) eating a portion of $6M for a pick, unless it's something ridiculous like a 1st.

Could work if the trade was done after the signing bonus was paid, but Arizona doesn't seem like an organization willing to pay $5M to a guy that wont play for them.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hjalmarsson is UFA. Not interested in that return for Kessel.

Eesh, Detroit would probably throw something at ARI to take that lol.

'23 1st? No offense to the OP, but I don't like Calgary much in the future and I'd kill to pay $1.5M for more odds at Bedard.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know Vegas has scoring issues. Might be a good fit while their core is still in contention. Especially if you can retain.

Maybe a second tier playoff team looks at him as a cheaper option? Someone like Nashville, or St. Louis? Maybe the Islanders give you a good pick if you can take back someone on the IR, like Boychuk?
Kessel with max retention for Keegan Kolesar and Kaeden Korczak?

rt

May 13, 2004
Wondering if VGK would consider Kessel with an additional 25% retained (brining him down to 5.1aav) for Whitecloud and Kolesar? How does that strike people? Fair or no?

Reactions: Groo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
@The Duck Knight @MGK @HanSolo @BattleBorn @hangman005

I know Vegas is in the thick of the playoffs, so I don't want to start a thread or go to the Vegas board. I'm sure this is far from top of mind. But I wanted to get a quick temp check on how far off this is:

To VGK: Phil Kessel (50% additional retention - 3.4aav)
To ARI: Zach Whitecloud & Keegan Kolesar

Thanks!
You lost me at Whitecloud. Not a chance. I'd trade Hague before I did this.

Either way I'm not sold on Kessel working well in our system. As is we have too many wingers and not enough centers.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

I know Vegas is in the thick of the playoffs, so I don't want to start a thread or go to the Vegas board. I'm sure this is far from top of mind. But I wanted to get a quick temp check on how far off this is:

Thanks!

Whitecloud is a non starter. With Martinez a UFA Whitecloud might have to make the jump into the top 4. Either way he's too good at that price to move.

Also couldn't afford Kessel even at 50% nor do we have room for him with Stone/Smith/Tuch on RW. If they have another disappointing finish here I have to think they'll try very hard to get a 1C.

You could have Kolesar for a 7th though.

rt

May 13, 2004
Whitecloud is a non starter. With Martinez a UFA Whitecloud might have to make the jump into the top 4. Either way he's too good at that price to move.

Also couldn't afford Kessel even at 50% nor do we have room for him with Stone/Smith/Tuch on RW. If they have another disappointing finish here I have to think they'll try very hard to get a 1C.

You could have Kolesar for a 7th though.
Kessel can play LW, too.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If Yotes seek LD, NYR can offer Tarmo Reunanen for Jenik

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com

Thanks!

You can't retain 50% on Kessel's current cap. Toronto already retained %15 of it. The most Arizona can retain is 35%

rt

May 13, 2004
You can't retain 50% on Kessel's current cap. Toronto already retained %15 of it. The most Arizona can retain is 35%
Incorrect. 50% is the maximum per team. A maximum of two teams may retain. Even if Toronto was retaining 50% of the 8aav deal, Arizona could still retain an additional 50% and the new team would get him for 2aav. No other teams would be able to retain after that, however.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The Islanders seem like the perfect destination. They’ve got everything but scoring. I think Scott Mayfield makes a ton of sense for AZ. Kieffer Bellows, too. Doubt we get both for Kessel. But I could see one or the other.
I don't see Kessel as a Trotz/Lou type player. That teams success is connected to their team defense and defense is to Kessel as hockey equipment is to Hossa - allergic.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Mike Ribeiro is one of Dave Tippett's all-time favorite players.
Sure there's the exception to the rule. If I was to put money on it I would vote against Kessel joining the Islanders, but you are correct - stranger things have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad