Phil Kessel is having his worst season in 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He is currently on pace for 53 points over an 82-game season. That would be his worst scoring pace since his sophomore season in Boston.

What is happening to him? He was supposed to flourish in Pittsburgh, out of the spotlight.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's garbage. He skates fast, has a very good shot and decent playmaking skills. The rest of his game is terrible per NHL standards.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
New system. In Pitts he doesn't get to play freestyle hockey like he did in Toronto. He had a license to do whatever he wished. He also got a lot of ice time and key pp situations

Everyone on the ice looked for him. Now that's not the case

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
As you approach 30, if you have bad habits it tends to catch up with you when the natural athleticism can't compensate.

The players that hold up well are the players who are dedicated to strength and conditioning training and are lucky with injuries.

I think the last three-four years of Kessel's contract might be ugly.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kessel is just lazy. He can't play well in a structured system.

I'm glad we traded him before this season because we're retaining way more than 1.2M if he's having this season on the Leafs and don't even get good picks/prospects. More of a Dion Phaneuf cap dump type trade.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
He's garbage. He skates fast, has a very good shot and decent playmaking skills. The rest of his game is terrible per NHL standards.

Kessel is certainly not a well-rounded player by any stretch of the imagination but I think you are selling him pretty short here. Moody and inconsistent though he may be, the guy had excellent production with next to no help in his Toronto days. To call him 'garbage' is laughable.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
He is currently on pace for 53 points over an 82-game season. That would be his worst scoring pace since his sophomore season in Boston.

What is happening to him? He was supposed to flourish in Pittsburgh, out of the spotlight.

Im not surprised. He needs quality players to play with. Who could produce with Tyler Boz..............oh wait.

DyerMaker66*

Nonsense, he'll be great playing for a contender. His apathy is just of result of playing for the Leafs for so long. :sarcasm:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's a shame more people couldn't see him for what he is sooner.

I think we saw him for what he is but I genuinely believed and still believe he was not set up for success with the Leafs. He never had someone in Toronto tell him to change the way he plays...all yes men who just wanted to collect a paycheque. By the time we got Babcock, it was too late to try to get him to change, he was making big money.

Babcock knew what Julien had to deal with and I'm sure he said to the Leafs management that Kessel needs to go if he is going to coach the Leafs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kessel is certainly not a well-rounded player by any stretch of the imagination but I think you are selling him pretty short here. Moody and inconsistent though he may be, the guy had excellent production with next to no help in his Toronto days. To call him 'garbage' is laughable.

He used to have some very good numbers on a TML team devoid of offensive talent besides him. Now, he plays for a playoff team next to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and he can't do anything. There are reasons for that.

1) Crosby likes to have line mates who can go to the dirty areas with him and convert on his passes in the slot. A perimeter player like Kessel is of little use to him. Malkin operates very well with shooters like Neal or Kessel, but Kessel needs to fight for space to get his shot off. Kessel just doesn't fight for space.

2) Kessel is an individual who can get frustrated very easily. How many sticks has he snapped in anger on the bench? When he's frustrated, he makes terrible decisions with the puck. When he turns the puck over, he is cooked. He doesn't have the motivation or the sense of urgency to play at least passably well defensively.

3) He's soft and lazy as hell. He will never take a hit or hit someone else to make a play. It's too bad, he and his teammates could score more if he did.

There are other reasons as well, such as his lack of motivation to improve on his game in the offseason. Instead, he prefers playing golf.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Give the guy some time. He barely trains in the off season. It's his first season with a new team, and he's getting older. The guy is 28. He has a couple 65 point seasons left in him but what do you guys expect? I'm a Kessel lover, and you're right he's having the worst season in a long time. BUT. It comes with age and a brand new system

edit: i wouldnt say a couple good seasons left, but 30 is the mark where teams and people expect a bit of a decline

Last edited:

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
He used to have some very good numbers on a TML team devoid of offensive talent besides him. Now, he plays for a playoff team next to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and he can't do anything. There are reasons for that.

1) Crosby likes to have line mates who can go to the dirty areas with him and convert on his passes in the slot. A perimeter player like Kessel is of little use to him. Malkin operates very well with shooters like Neal or Kessel, but Kessel needs to fight for space to get his shot off. Kessel just doesn't fight for space.

2) Kessel is an individual who can get frustrated very easily. How many sticks has he snapped in anger on the bench? When he's frustrated, he makes terrible decisions with the puck. When he turns the puck over, he is cooked. He doesn't have the motivation or the sense of urgency to play at least passably well defensively.

3) He's soft and lazy as hell. He will never take a hit or hit someone else to make a play. It's too bad, he and his teammates could score more if he did.

There are other reasons as well, such as his lack of motivation to improve on his game in the offseason. Instead, he prefers playing golf.

I think there are reasons for his decline in production, but I don't think these are them. I mean...

1.) You are definitely right about the Crosby part, no argument. I think the Malkin bit though is questionable. Did Kessel not have to have fight for space in Toronto?

2.) This is true in Pittsburgh and was also true in Toronto. Why then did he produce so well in Toronto, and not in Pittsburgh?

3.) See #2.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I am just genuinely curious as to why his play fell off so far. All I can see is the media difference in which the TO media routinely terrorized and harassed him, but maybe not so much with the Pittsburgh media. Especially with Crosby taking the spotlight with his slow start.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
14 points in the 17 games played in 2016. That's pretty good, consistent (points in 12 of the last 17 games) production lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad