Confirmed with Link: Phil Housley Hired as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Toronto was 2-8-4 in Babcock's first 14 games, which was back in in 2015-16. Any comparison to Toronto should be to that period of time, when the leaf's were learning Babcock's system.

Don’t forget that was their tank year as well. So a ton less talent in very important roles. I wouldn’t use that as a good comparison.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'll pass, because if your system relies on Zach Bogosian you have a bad system.

Not exactly....... you have Zach Bogosian. And that's your problem because he doesn't match up with what you need in order to make your system work.

Referencing your earlier post, I am going to have to spend a bunch of time analyzing what you said about how Toronto operates on ice. Your description of it is intriguing and frankly, a bit unique to someone who's grown up playing and coaching offensive and defensive tactics and systems using references like Hockey Canada and USA Hockey - coaching seminars, video series, manuals, on ice instructional camps, etc.. I'm a level 4 coach and frankly, maybe I need a refresher course in modern concepts!

So I'm not criticizing you or anything close to that. Just looking to open up a new avenue of understanding. If you have any references - i.e.; Jack Han type of You Tube videos, etc., please pass them along ....

I do however have extreme frustration with coaches who don't understand that they need to adjust whatever they are trying to do to match the abilities of the players handed to them. And think that is part of Phil's problem. Let's also not forget who handed many of these players to this freshman head coach.

Reactions: brian_griffin

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

They go into how the Leafs defend at the 20:50 mark. The vocabulary might be new to someone with a traditional coaching background because the strategy borrows heavily from other sports, especially basketball, and teams like the Warriors and Bucks.* They aggressively attack the ball to get teams off their primary play, and trust their defense to scramble into position to defend subsequent actions.

The trade-off for this pressure is that if the defense blows a rotation, you're giving up a wide open shot that you wouldn't have surrendered had your guys just stayed home. The same is true in hockey, if you can move the puck ahead of the Leafs defensive rotations, someone is getting a stupendous chance.

*If you want a basketball history lesson, the modern application of this defensive strategy descends from Tom Thibodeau's trap and recover pick-n-roll coverage with the Celtics, which was then adopted by the LeBron-era Heat. They turned their defensive pace up to 11 by playing the undersized Chris Bosh over a plodding, traditional center which let them switch their nearest guys to every action.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, I think you're missing my Zach Bogosian point. Bogo isn't a poor fit for the system, it's actually quite the contrary. He's going to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of Housley's setup whenever he gets healthy because he tightly supports the puck through the offensive zone. He's going to get a ton of looks as the trailing guy and his shot is good enough to take advantage.

The problem is that Zach Bogosian is too far down the depth chart to be the system's golden boy, and that's before factoring in his attendance issues. Eichel and O'Reilly are good enough to make their own luck, but they're often stuck waiting on defensemen to bring the play to them.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
To the Bogosian point, the system should favor your most talented player. If that is Bogo, shudder, then fine. But if it’s Eichel or Risto, not so good.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, Han got hired by the Leafs, so RIP his twitter and all its content.

However, the quote below got salvaged because it was embedded in an article, and I think it's pretty telling.

If you replace ‘offense’ and ‘defense’ with ‘creating space’ & ‘closing space’, u get diff understanding of hockey

Reactions: sabrebuild

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Also, Han got hired by the Leafs, so RIP his twitter and all its content.

However, the quote below got salvaged because it was embedded in an article, and I think it's pretty telling.
Knew about the Han hire. Yep that's sad for us followers who aren't Leaf fans.

Understand concepts of taking away time and space thoroughly. And nothing new about overloading one side of the zone with your forecheck. Babcock is known for doing that. It was the way the leafs funnel the play to matthews and other scorers that I want to pay attention to. I've always had more difficulty with working up schemes to creatively generate offensive (since defensive counters are usually immediately implemented) so I want to understand better how the Leafs are attacking the zone and the net.

Thanks for the pointers.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Knew about the Han hire. Yep that's sad for us followers who aren't Leaf fans.

Understand concepts of taking away time and space thoroughly. And nothing new about overloading one side of the zone with your forecheck. Babcock is known for doing that. It was the way the leafs funnel the play to matthews and other scorers that I want to pay attention to. I've always had more difficulty with working up schemes to creatively generate offensive (since defensive counters are usually immediately implemented) so I want to understand better how the Leafs are attacking the zone and the net.

Thanks for the pointers.
It's less about the what with the Leafs and more the how. They're ensuring they execute a few simple concepts at a really high level by empowering everyone on the ice to act instinctively, regardless of position.

As for funneling play to their top guys, this is achieved a couple of ways. First, they make sure to pair their top guys with designated muckers, who know their primary role is gonna be puck retrieval and defensive coverage. Second, their combination of overload and transition means that their top guys are always going to be around the puck as it's captured and moved up ice. Even better, they're always going advance with numbers even if a defenseman is stuck up-ice.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's less about the what with the Leafs and more the how. They're ensuring they execute a few simple concepts at a really high level by empowering everyone on the ice to act instinctively, regardless of position.

As for funneling play to their top guys, this is achieved a couple of ways. First, they make sure to pair their top guys with designated muckers, who know their primary role is gonna be puck retrieval and defensive coverage. Second, their combination of overload and transition means that their top guys are always going to be around the puck as it's captured and moved up ice. Even better, they're always going advance with numbers even if a defenseman is stuck up-ice.
Yeah, agree about the how. The Leafs arrive at the play at the right moment... at top speed and with energy. They take really smart paths to the puck and don't waste time standing still and waving their sticks around uselessly. That whole timing and energy issue is so important to flow and transition. Watching the Sabres a few moments ago try to execute their overload on the forecheck was frustrating by comparison. Sabres arrive early or late, misread the play and frequently react wrong. I mean some of this is instinctive but its obvious that Babcock and his assistants teach and drill this. But he has had 2 seasons to put this all in place. It might take that long for NHLers to get it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
11-01: Sabres head coach Phil Housley with Howard and Jeremy (8:15)
#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - Obviously we'd like to have a better record and better stance in our division through the first month of the season. #Sabres

Housley - I think we've made some great strides, but we need to be better with our overall game. #Sabres

Housley - We need to know what it takes to win in this league, and we'll continue to work on getting better #Sabres

Housley - we have to take what the game gives us. If we have to defend, let's defend well. If we can attack, let's go on the attack #Sabres

Housley - We have to continue with our process and play a full 60-minute game #Sabres

Housley - we have to be mentally tough through the struggles and not change our game. #Sabres

Housley - we have to get dirty in the offensive zone. We have to protect our goalie in the defensive zone. #Sabres

Housley - McCabe's game is improving. Tennyson has played a good, consistent game. Overall, that tandem has been consistent for us #Sabres

Housley - we're going to stick with that pairing. I think they've done a nice job with playing all the minutes they play #Sabres

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You need competent coaching to develop players. Bad coaching ruined our last rebuild, I sure hope they’re going to nip it in the bud while we’re developing the next crop.

I'm pointing our your stance in another thread makes your stance here pointless. You feel we need several shrewd moves by Botts, draft a bunch of dmen and wait for them to develop and are contributing on the roster. Then MAYBE half way through Jack's new deal (Roughly your phrasing not mine), IF these things go well, we will be competitive. Not Cup contender but competive team that can make the playoffs. You also said this process will take something along the lines of 4 years.

If you believe all that then no coach will matter in the short term. (Again based on your argument not mine). You can save the development argument because your stance makes no sense. No coach is going to keep his job missing the playoffs for another 3-4 years no matter how much 'developing' he's doing. I also call BS that you would consider any coach competent if we are still unable to make the playoffs the next 3-4 years.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Phil Housley has
I believe we had more HDCF last year than the Leafs tank year. But more importantly what does that have to do with our current coach?
Better generation, worse differential.

LHC was wondering if it took multiple years for a professional team to learn a system. Babcock turning the Leafs underlying stats around in a season is evidence against that, especially considering none of the core youngbloods were there.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ehh, with a system that had zero potential to ever be better and almost a decade of professional head coach experience.

Phil at least has unknown potential and might figure it out.
He might figure it out at some point, but at this point I'm skeptical. The guy thinks playing Matt Tennyson in a top 4 role is beneficial to the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad