Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] G Ivan Fedotov signs extension with the Flyers (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It is possible there is more here than meets the eye. I was thinking and some of that might be paid to Fedotov to pay for his release to the NHL. Most of this deal is SB so getting it so he can forward whatever payment is required to Russia, it kind of makes sense now.

Let's just say the deal should be 2 x $2.5M. If Fedotov has to pay $2M to Russia, then it doesn't seem that strange that he got as much as he did.

Lol.

According to Boris Mikhailov (on CSKA board), Fedotov had a 2 year KHL deal with the option of leaving for the NHL after the first year.

I think CSKA was more than happy to get rid of him and save money from his contract.
He was pretty bad this year.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Bit strange for an unproven guy but I guess they're trying to get a handle on their chaotic goaltending situation

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly some folks don’t understand the economics around KHL veteran players coming to the NHL. Luckily the Flyers won’t be a factor so they have the runway to find out for themselves about him. He was never coming here to take a pay cut, and I don’t think we know if he had to buy his way out of the contract he had.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think it's simply a situation where the goalie had some leverage and the team doesn't need its capspace that much. They prefer to figure out what they have in him than to give up on him.

It is however quite an irregular move to sign a guy to a "high-ish" priced contract without much track record to speak of.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Clearly some folks don’t understand the economics around KHL veteran players coming to the NHL. Luckily the Flyers won’t be a factor so they have the runway to find out for themselves about him. He was never coming here to take a pay cut, and I don’t think we know if he had to buy his way out of the contract he had.
I'm fine with paying him on a 2 year deal, keep our boy out of the Gulag and give him some time to adjust.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
rather overpay on Ivan who is an unknow and still some potential upside then a cagey vet who has zero upside.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hahahahahahaha

Did he seriously just get a $3.25m a year contract after only playing 3 games?

What the actual overpayment is going on?

Twenty-seven-year old who has four years experience. Paid about what he would make there as a starter.

Imagine Flyers' scouts have seen enough in his game to believe he deserves the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad