Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] G Ivan Fedotov signs extension with the Flyers (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Fedotov is probably not worth the contract, but it's s non-issue at this point...and he's probably not worse than Sandstrom or Petersen at this point.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Jesus...what...the...f***...?

$3.25mil after 3 games with a 4.95 GAA and 0.811 sv%?

Yikes, he looked unplayable against the Sabres. Weird, weird, unforced move.

On a somewhat related note- I used to really like Briere, and I’ll always appreciate the player. But I’ve heard since that he’s a bit of an ass, and then there’s the whole apple and tree argument with his son and all- I’m just sayin, it’s nice not to feel conflicted here. I hope it’s a train wreck for em.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What? After few games?

As others said, the Flyers and Fedotov likely had contract talks before he came over so it's not solely based on his cup of coffee. Seems a bit expensive but at least the term is short in case it doesn't pan out. Guys like Nikita Gusev, Vadim Shipachyov, and Evgeny Medvedev landed bigger AAV short term deals with no NHL games on their résumé.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Lots of overreaction here. We are judging him based on 3 games on a free falling Flyers team? Let's give him atleast a training camp no?

He was a scheduled UFA. There was definitely teams who would have offered this same deal, based on his pedigree in Russia.

Reactions: Flyerfan47

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
MJyybSc.png

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
1,85 million a year would be enough on a 2 year deal.Tortorella must begin to experiment with acids just efter the season was over either that or he found a 250 year old wine bottle in his uncle friends car.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If you want high profile KHL players you need to pay them. Don't get the outrage here.

Also, laughable how he isn't worth the contract after 3 games but people feel confident to tell what he is worth after 3 games.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think the contract is based on his KHL play and his UFA status.

To the people saying it's based on 3 NHL games...give your head a shake.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They basically made him a millionaire for all his troubles over the years. :laugh:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Wow. That’s going to ruin the market.

Drieger. Stolarz. Broissoit getting paid

There is a shortage of NHL goalies caused by more teams using tandems. All those guys were going to get paid regardless. Look at Gustavsson last year.

Dreidger is the only goalie who doesn't fit on that list because he really didn't get a chance to play in the NHL. He will still get a decent contract like 1-2 years 1.5-2.5 and someone will give him a shot.

Any goalie who puts together 20 solid games gets paid now in case they are for real. That's how it is. Teams can't afford to lose goalies because there aren't enough to go around. Teams only walk away when they get priced out.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Definitely an over pay, but likely aren't basing his small sample during the worst stretch run of the team as the basis. More so that he was one of the best goalies in the KHL, likely betting that he will do much better once he's had a proper time to get adjusted to NA/team. I mean....they got Cal Peterson at $5mil/yr down in the AHL.....now thats an overpayment lol

One of the best goalies in the KHL?:huh:

He had 1 really good year in the KHL (primarily based on his 2022 playoff performance).
Beyond that he's been very mediocre his entire career thus far.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Because he has proven way more. This guy has 3 games and gets a 3 million contract. It’s insane.

Hill got like 1.5 more after winning a cup.
I understand that just thought it was a strange example given performance last year ( wasn’t he hurt or in the minors for a decent chunk of it ) ?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think the contract is based on his KHL play and his UFA status.

To the people saying it's based on 3 NHL games...give your head a shake.

This isn’t the Panarin or Kaprizov of goalies we are talking about. It’s a tall goalie who had one good season where he was a regular on the non-NHL national team, then missed a year, then was on a powerhouse team that bombed this year and is turning 28 this fall.

So other than him being an UFA and having some sort of handshake agreement I guess with the Flyers brass - what exact record of performance should this be based on? Because there’s nothing there that screams “pay me like a proven NHL goalie”.

Like I said - if you want to tell me the Flyers pro scouts just super believe his huge frame is going to translate better against NHL shooters than it has in Russia…I guess we can go with that. But other than his size…what has been so exceptional about him in his career?

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Lots of overreaction here. We are judging him based on 3 games on a free falling Flyers team? Let's give him atleast a training camp no?

He was a scheduled UFA. There was definitely teams who would have offered this same deal, based on his pedigree in Russia.

it's quite laughable the overreactions after 3 games. Guy came to a new country, God knows what he went through in the crazy world of Russia. most people overreacting never left their neighborhood.
guy was said to be one of the best goalies outside of north america... RELAX

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
is some of this kickback to russia or what. how does he get that number after only 3 games. good for him tho.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
it's quite laughable the overreactions after 3 games. Guy came to a new country, God knows what he went through in the crazy world of Russia. most people overreacting never left their neighborhood.
guy was said to be one of the best goalies outside of north america... RELAX
Annunen had a terrible first 3 games. Look at him now and he has been in the country for a while.

Adjusting to the NHL game is difficult.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It is possible there is more here than meets the eye. I was thinking and some of that might be paid to Fedotov to pay for his release to the NHL. Most of this deal is SB so getting it so he can forward whatever payment is required to Russia, it kind of makes sense now.

Let's just say the deal should be 2 x $2.5M. If Fedotov has to pay $2M to Russia, then it doesn't seem that strange that he got as much as he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad