Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] G Ivan Fedotov signs extension with the Flyers (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Hahahahahahaha

Did he seriously just get a $3.25m a year contract after only playing 3 games?

What the actual overpayment is going on?

Definitely an over pay, but likely aren't basing his small sample during the worst stretch run of the team as the basis. More so that he was one of the best goalies in the KHL, likely betting that he will do much better once he's had a proper time to get adjusted to NA/team. I mean....they got Cal Peterson at $5mil/yr down in the AHL.....now thats an overpayment lol

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He was terrible for 75 percent of the time he played. Rumoured to have new equipment issues that could reasonably be related to him being 6’8. He also didn’t play the season prior. Perhaps an offseason will improve things. In the end, he had zero leverage and Briere got bent over. Briere is quickly showing, almost at every move now, that he was Cuck Fletcher’s protege.

At the end of the day, if he’s still terrible, he helps force a tank.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He was terrible for 75 percent of the time he played. Rumoured to have new equipment issues that could reasonably be related to him being 6’8. He also didn’t play the season prior. Perhaps an offseason will improve things. In the end, he had zero leverage and Briere got bent over. Briere is quickly showing, almost at every move now, that he was Cuck Fletcher’s protege.

At the end of the day, if he’s still terrible, he helps force a tank.

What do you mean he had zero leverage. Fedotov was a UFA.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They lost Hart. The alternative was to get into a contract negotiation battle, over pay during free agency, trade assets you need for goaltending, or just over-pay a player you brought over for 2 years. As somebody else mentioned, it might have already been agreed upon before he put the pads on for them in an actual game.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They lost Hart. The alternative was to get into a contract negotiation battle, over pay during free agency, trade assets you need for goaltending, or just over-pay a player you brought over for 2 years. As somebody else mentioned, it might have already been agreed upon before he put the pads on for them in an actual game.

Uh, the alternative was to sign a cheap market-rate backup and run that guy 50/50 with Ersson while continuing to develop their wealth of excellent goalie prospects. They don't need to spend money in net or stopgap anything if they're rebuilding.

Now, that said, it is only two years and since they're ostensibly rebuilding, who cares. But they just operate like a team that has no idea what their plan is at any given moment. Bizarre.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t have to trade anybody or anything, there are plenty of options, most would cost less, but there’s more to gain here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don’t have to trade anybody or anything, there are plenty of options, most would cost less, but there’s more to gain here.
You don't have to trade anybody. Those were all different options. You can find somebody for cheap. But something tells me the Flyers didn't want to just grab a cheap goalie as they intent to push for playoffs next year after coming so close this year. Fedotov was a UFA and after all that to bring him over I really don't think they were just letting him go to save 1.2 million or so /2 years. I think they want to see what he can do with a training plan in place, and having an actual pres-season camp.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You don't have to trade anybody. Those were all different options. You can find somebody for cheap. But something tells me the Flyers didn't want to just grab a cheap goalie as they intent to push for playoffs next year after coming so close this year. Fedotov was a UFA and after all that to bring him over I really don't think they were just letting him go to save 1.2 million or so /2 years. I think they want to see what he can do with a training plan in place, and having an actual pres-season camp.
Yes, did it because they believe in the player. And the economics of signing KHL veterans are often different too. The Flyers are in a position that it’s worth it to oblige.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Only 2 years not the end of the world , is philly trying to make the playoffs again next year? seems like a rebuild would be better suited

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Only 2 years not the end of the world , is philly trying to make the playoffs again next year? seems like a rebuild would be better suited
Yes. You don't keep Torts to go with a rebuild mentality entering next season. He is going to play to win and bench whoever (vet or rookie) that doesn't meat his requirements or expectations. They came close this season. Maybe it was because they exceeded expectations. Maybe it was because the rest of the Metro/east didn't make much noise, but no doubt they're believing they can ride this wave into next season to make playoffs.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They were supposed to be rebuilding this year and we all saw how that turned out. It turned out like the previous 15 seasons where the are stuck in the suck zone. They don't know how to rebuild

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad