Waived: [PHI] G Cal Petersen waived by the Flyers (cleared)

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Very eager to see what Dan Briere does at the deadline. After last years deadline DISASTER by Fletcher , this one must help the flyers. Trade deadline and the draft are either going to set us up or keep the flyers in mediocrity.
Personally, If Briere and Jonesy aren't planning on going full tilt toward winning in 2 years, Konecny must be dealt, along with a few others. I wasn't one of the cry babies who whined about hiring Briere and Keith Jones, former flyer garbage, I still think they were the best hires to turn this around and hope it kicks in starting at the deadline

Reactions: Larry44

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
waiving him gives Flyers flexibility. pretty easy to see him sticking with the Flyers, he only plays sporadically eg. in B2Bs and Pitt was his first bad game for Philly this year. he has runway still.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would Philly be interested in swapping Petersen and a draft pick for one of the Sharks goaltenders? I think it's possible that either the Florida 1st or the Columbus 2nd could get that done.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Would Philly be interested in swapping Petersen and a draft pick for one of the Sharks goaltenders? I think it's possible that either the Florida 1st or the Columbus 2nd could get that done.
Chrona is still an unproven player in the NHL, so that narrows it down between Blackwood and Kahkonen, and Blackwood is a former post-Brodeur Devils goalie. Blackwood and Kahkonen are both 27 year old players. If the Flyers were interested in either of them I think I'd favour Kahkonen. He'd play well behind the Flyers defence.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Philly is still, if you believe the public statements by the CEO, President, GM, and God Emp... I mean, head coach, rebuilding, results on the ice notwithstanding. Giving up a huge asset to acquire a backup goaltender and move a contract we can simply buy out next season runs very counter to that stated goal.

We're not hurting for cap space, so we're not likely going to pay much of a price to move Petersen's deal, we'll just let him play out the string in Allentown or perhaps swap him for a contract of equally ill omen at a more rational position for us, and fix our backup goalie problem on the cheap.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Didn't even realize he was on Flyers NHL roster

I see he still sucks judging by his impressive .864 sv pct
Don't watch much NHL? Played Sunday on national television and had a rough outing.

Obviously, Ersson will handle the bulk of the goaltending down the stretch with Hart out.

Peterson at this moment isn't a viable backup.

Some of the comments on here say more about the posters than it does about his game. Obviously, he's in a rough patch but what does piling on accomplish?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Philly is still, if you believe the public statements by the CEO, President, GM, and God Emp... I mean, head coach, rebuilding, results on the ice notwithstanding. Giving up a huge asset to acquire a backup goaltender and move a contract we can simply buy out next season runs very counter to that stated goal.

We're not hurting for cap space, so we're not likely going to pay much of a price to move Petersen's deal, we'll just let him play out the string in Allentown or perhaps swap him for a contract of equally ill omen at a more rational position for us, and fix our backup goalie problem on the cheap.
Fair enough if they're committed to the rebuild process and don't want to spend futures yet. Philly isn't hurting for cap space but I figured they could kill two birds with one stone by adding a solid enough goalie to their roster and get out of Petersen's final year. I figure the Columbus 2nd would be lessening the blow in terms of giving up a huge asset. That pick may not be a high 2nd round pick this year when the Jackets have the option to defer the pick sent to Philly to next year (which seems likely though it may be a similar level next year anyway). If you want to do it on the cheap, Kahkonen for a 4th round pick is probably on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad