Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Flyers sign forward Roman Lyubimov to ELC (1 year)

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
I like his size, and unlike Umberger, he can still offer something.
We'll see if this pans out.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bottom 6 player with good size, probably more like 4th liner, played 4 years for CSKA. He had good playoffs this year and then he was selected for Russia and played on WHC, where he had 8 points in 10 games.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42434

Bit extra:

Can play C & LW.
Pretty good PKer.
Good two-way guy.
Quite gritty, plays quite a North American game.
Not great on the dot.
Has some nice skill that comes to the fore every now and again.
Good at Penalty shots.

He got a big chance to show his stuff with better players around him in KHL playoffs when Mursak went down... and then went to WC and played really well there too.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Bit extra:

Can play C & LW.
Pretty good PKer.
Good two-way guy.
Quite gritty, plays quite a North American game.
Not great on the dot.
Has some nice skill that comes to the fore every now and again.
Good at Penalty shots.

He got a big chance to show his stuff with better players around him in KHL playoffs when Mursak went down... and then went to WC and played really well there too.

Interesting, Thanks

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
He'll never be more than a 3rd liner, but I think he realizes that. He understands his role.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If we can get a quality third liner out of him then that's just gravy. Getting a quality anything out of a young free agent on an ELC is awesome because it's always comes at zero asset cost.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think it's the first signing in a while in which ''Who?'' would have been a legitimate post and yet no one posted that. :laugh:

Minimal risk, low reward type of move.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
He had a big WC, and I'm a Russian hockey nerd. So I know him.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Russian players in the Flyers system currently: Provorov, Rubtsov, Fazleev, Vorobyov, Fedotov, Lyubimov, Vasiliev and this year we had Medvedev on the Flyers.

That's such a drastic change under Hextall's management, and compared to years when Holmgren/Clarke were GMs! :laugh: I like it. :)

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Russian players in the Flyers system currently: Provorov, Rubtsov, Fazleev, Vorobyov, Fedotov, Lyubimov, Vasiliev and this year we had Medvedev on the Flyers.

Seems like there's some Finnish Factor going on with the Flyers.:laugh:

Nice signing, low risk-medium reward imo. If Cousins doesn't return, he may very well be the 3C if he does well at the camp.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Signing euro and NCAA free agents is the way to augment your prospect pool after trading away picks/prospects. It's how Holmgren kept the cupboard from going completely barren during the years he traded away every pick he possibly could. So long as you have a contract slot available and the money to pay the player (which the Flyers obviously do), there's zero downside to a signing like this.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Seems similar to NJ's Sergey Kalinin signing last year, Flyers fans should be pleased with similar production. Big bodies that are versatile and can play in all situations. Not gonna light it up offensively but you appreciate the way they play when seeing them every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad