Claimed off Waivers: [PHI] Flyers claim F Lukas Sedlak off waivers from the Avalanche

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sedlak is Kunitz 2.0. You heard it here first, folks.

Now you're just intentionally missing the point.

You can't deem someone not good enough for the NHL after having seen them for only two or three games. I don't know why I even bother, as it should go without saying.

If you want a better comparison, Ducks fans were calling for Derek Grant's head way beyond his first three games with the club. Now he's somewhat of a fan favourite. Sedlak is a similar type of player with similar upside. And if you can get a new Derek Grant on waivers, a dependable 4th line center who can kill penalties and score 10-15 goals, that's not a terrible pick up.

What's the risk for the Flyers here, exactly?

Last edited:

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado

You can't deem someone not good enough for the NHL after having seen them for only two or three games. I don't know why I even bother, as it should go without saying.

If you want a better comparison, Ducks fans were calling for Derek Grant's head way beyond his first three games with the club. Now he's somewhat of a fan favourite. Sedlak is a similar type of player with similar upside. And if you can get a new Derek Grant on waivers, a dependable 4th line center who can kill penalties and score 10-15 goals, that's not a terrible pick up.

Playing Lukas Sedlak is the risk.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Well, I guess it's more than the two games Chris Kunitz got in an Atlanta Thrashers uniform before being waived, and then proceeding to play over 1000 games, scoring 600 points, winning four Stanley Cups and an Olympic gold.

It's almost as if players can fit in in different ways with different teams.
My post, and your post, have absolutely nothing relating to each other.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

Well, I guess it's more than the two games Chris Kunitz got in an Atlanta Thrashers uniform before being waived, and then proceeding to play over 1000 games, scoring 600 points, winning four Stanley Cups and an Olympic gold.

It's almost as if players can fit in in different ways with different teams.
Not every waiver wire pick-up gets to play with a generational player.....

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
We re lso missing the usage of the all important 49th contract slot

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
My post, and your post, have absolutely nothing relating to each other.

Okay. Then please elaborate how you, based on a three game sample size, know Sedlak better than Tortorella does.

Of course Sedlak isn't going to have a Kunitz-esque career. But what's the risk for the Flyers, again? Not only are they (almost certainly) gonna miss the playoffs this year. They also have Sean Couturier, Cam Atkinson, Patrick Brown and Owen Tippett injured.

They currently have three rookies/kids playing center. What's the harm in picking up a 29 year old with a little bit of experience, who's been productive in the KHL, and at worst should be a useful AHL player for them once their team is healthy?

The Flyers are in no position to be trading assets for established players. That'd be a lot more stupid than picking up some tweener on waivers, who will not make their team any worse than it already is.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Eliminating a roster spot for a prospect in a lost season.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Eliminating a roster spot for a prospect in a lost season.

Half their forward lineup already consists of prospects and minor league players. But whoever is next in line will have his development hurt because of this waiver pick up?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Half their forward lineup already consists of prospects and minor league players. But whoever is next in line will have his development hurt because of this waiver pick up?

Possibli. It sounds like Tanner Laczynski is in Torts' doghouse and will be sent back to the Phantoms.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Well no one expects Kunitz revival but Torts looks like he knows what to do with that material he got... And Sedlak is on 2 way and can be waived again anytime anyway. Many players are injured, lots of youngsters are playing, this is one of those rare Flyers moves I'm not complaining about.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This CBJ fan misses both Torts AND Sedlak. Always thought Sedlak was more skilled and a better overall player than he got credit for. The CBJ had a use for Sedlak when he left and still do. He’d be cheaper and a better option than Kuraly, IMO. Should have never gotten rid of Torts, and got rid of the players that didn’t want to listen to him and out put in the hard work necessary on the ice.

Another guy that was extremely impactful in his prime/when healthy was Anisimov, what’s the update on him?

• Haha

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
This CBJ fan misses both Torts AND Sedlak. Always thought Sedlak was more skilled and a better overall player than he got credit for. The CBJ had a use for Sedlak when he left and still do. He’d be cheaper and a better option than Kuraly, IMO. Should have never gotten rid of Torts, and got rid of the players that didn’t want to listen to him and out put in the hard work necessary on the ice.

Another guy that was extremely impactful in his prime/when healthy was Anisimov, what’s the update on him?
Injured during tryout. I believe he cant be moved until healthy. Probably will be released minute he is cleared.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad