Claimed off Waivers: [PHI] Flyers claim F Kieffer Bellows off waivers from the Islanders

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Good one, but seriously I am curious. Does the office account for prospects to financially be put on waivers at some point?

Not sure. I doubt NHL teams financial statements are publicly distributed. Maybe the Packers have a note disclosure on that type of thing. I would like to know now too lol

Reactions: seafoam

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Imagine living in Key Biscayne and still being so wound up that you can’t take a joke.
06sportingWeb-superJumbo.jpg

Reactions: seafoam

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Good pick up for them. Still don't know why we bothered to re-sign him just to waive him, while Soshnikov could've easily been the one waived. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put it together under Torts to an extent. Still think he can carve out a career as a bottom 6 grinder who scores the occasional goal because his shot is pretty good, its just him getting into position to actually use it that's the problem.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You goon. I feel bad for you.

Good pick up for them. Still don't know why we bothered to re-sign him just to waive him, while Soshnikov could've easily been the one waived. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put it together under Torts to an extent. Still think he can carve out a career as a bottom 6 grinder who scores the occasional goal because his shot is pretty good, its just him getting into position to actually use it that's the problem.
It pushed a guy like Soshnikov to make the team, would be my best guess. Also, he showed glimpses last season and was a former 1st rounder so it make sense to bring him back.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
He has some tools and if he can put it all together has ability to be middle six guy. Could be classic middle of road forward with a little jam to his game with a decent shot. Only 24 but I think with a fresh start he could surprise some people. Wishing him well from Isle fan.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Had a feeling he would be getting another chance somewhere.
And he’ll get 3-4 more chances. He’s the type who may play for 3-4 teams this year.

He has the same exact problem guys like Zadina and Tippett have. He can’t find the seams in transition and cant find open ice in traffic. So they always revert back to what made them successful growing up…..

Playing from the outside.

A skill only the very, very few NHL players can succeed doing. Ovechkin being the best at it. Funny thing is, Zadina actually has the shot to do it, but he doesn’t demand the respect because everyone knows what he’s doing, so they just force him even further outside. Bellows and Tippett don’t even have that.

Career AHL players with NHL skills. Teams will keep giving them chances until they’re around 25 because of this.

Now all we need to see is the Flyers trade for Byfield and Zadina. They’d have the most skilled 4 forwards in the league who can’t create their own shot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. Figured he'd be claimed by somebody. He's got all the attributes to get a second, third, probably even fourth shot at making it. Pretty no-downside gamble from Philly with some injuries, to at least try it out and see what happens. Bellows does have talent, and if he can put it together a bit, he's got a desirable skillset. Kind of weird that it hasn't clicked for him yet, as coming out of the draft, he felt like a relatively "safe" player to me. To at least become a solid Bottom-6 winger.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Rubstov was drafted AFTER Bellows. Hextall couldn't have drafted Bellows if he tried
Flyers had the pick before Bellows was selected, 18th I believe. They traded back with Winnipeg and passed up the option to select Bellows. Winnipeg selected Logan Stanley.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
Rubstov was drafted AFTER Bellows. Hextall couldn't have drafted Bellows if he tried
Flyers had the 18th pick and traded back to 22. Bellows went 19. I doubt it would have made a big difference in The teams trajectory

Flyers had the 18th pick and traded back to 22. Bellows went 19. I doubt it would have made a big difference in The teams trajectory

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Can still definitely carve out a 3rd-line role. Curious move. Think he was on Lou's shitlist.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Good one, but seriously I am curious. Does the office account for prospects to financially be put on waivers at some point?
That's very unlikely since it's not anywhere close to a guarantee that a given prospect will eventually be claimed on waivers. Even then you are also likely claiming players on waivers at the same time which cancels it out.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Torts looking player, Tortorella knows exactly what he is getting from Bellows.
good pick up from Fletcher for the Flyers.
How is this guy a Torts looking player ? Bellows isn't a bad one and he deff can be an NHL contributer but he is underwhelming for being a former 1st rounder. The Flyers made a good move IMO by claiming him. To me he's kind of Ike picking up an Owen Tippet like player where they can get a legit shot on an NHL roster with a new team. I don't think the Islanders are going to be to mad they lost him via waivers. He wouldn't of been placed on them if they thought more highly of him.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How is this guy a Torts looking player ? Bellows isn't a bad one and he deff can be an NHL contributer but he is underwhelming for being a former 1st rounder. The Flyers made a good move IMO by claiming him. To me he's kind of Ike picking up an Owen Tippet like player where they can get a legit shot on an NHL roster with a new team. I don't think the Islanders are going to be to mad they lost him via waivers. He wouldn't of been placed on them if they thought more highly of him.
He plays like Torts coaches.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don't understand how you just give up that shot. Especially on waivers. Isles have a few wingers I would have thought would be axed before Bellows.

I was hoping he'd end up in NJ and be given a shot beside Jack and Jesper.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I don't understand how you just give up that shot. Especially on waivers. Isles have a few wingers I would have thought would be axed before Bellows.

I was hoping he'd end up in NJ and be given a shot beside Jack and Jesper.

Its because he skates like hes in mud. He isnt quick enough to create space for himself to use that shot.

I would prefer to have lost Bailey/Palmieri, but noone is taking those contracts. In the minors Dufour and Holmstrom have likely already passed Bellows on the depth chart.

I do think Bellows can carve out a career in the bottom 6 and score 10-15 goals a year, but hes not at that point yet.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What we'll never know is whether Lamoriello put him on waivers with the belief that his 1.2 MM contract would be just enough to ward off possible grabbers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What we'll never know is whether Lamoriello put him on waivers with the belief that his 1.2 MM contract would be just enough to ward off possible grabbers.
You can bury upwards of around $1.125 mill in the A without it impacting your nhl salary cap. So if it does not work out with Philly they can waive him and if he goes unclaimed it costs them only like $75k against the salary cap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Suprised the Canucks or Coyotes didnt put in a claim
Waiver wire order is last year final standings until November 1.

from November 1 order is based on points per game standings

Philadelphia was 4 in order of claiming. Montreal, arizona, and Seattle were ahead

Reactions: M2Beezy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad