Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Mid-April Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Pronman has the Flyers pipeline ranked 11th in the league:

22 YO and under players ranked:
1. Michkov
2. Cutter
3. York
4. Bonk
5. Foerster
6. Samson
7. Ciernik
8. Bjarnason
The only thing he got right was Michkov being 1 and Cutter being 2 every one else is in the wrong place. I feel like most of these guys who write about every team just phones it in with the Flyers. Once we're putting winning seasons together theyre the same guys who will throw shade on us the whole time

Reactions: Math the wild rose

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll wait for Wheeler, who seems to be the best out there. It's obvious Wheeler watches more film than Pronman from their descriptions.

Samson is interesting, August birthday, so he's very young for his draft class, and PPG in his D+2 season from a guy originally projected as a defensive defenseman.

Reactions: tnfrs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, he's referring to Hudson Thornton, who is 3 months younger than Samson and outscored him by 14 points in 8 more games.
Listed at 5'11 181.

Smaht Scouting:

Thornton scares me a bit. I don’t question his offensive game. In fact, I think he’s a great passer and a legitimate power play quarterback at this level. The issue that I have with Thornton is that he is very rough defensively. He struggles with decision making at times and it can lead to turnovers in his own end. There’s upside in Thornton’s game, but the risk with his poor defensive play will cause teams to shy away until the second half of the draft, in my opinion.

Wheeler:

One of the most productive defencemen in junior hockey this season, Thornton emerged as an offensive catalyst on a Prince George team that had plenty of scouts coming to see them play because of first-year eligible forwards Riley Heidt and Koehen Ziemmer. He finished second among all WHL defencemen in goals (23) and fifth in points (74), both of which broke Cougars records. He has worn a letter for that team the last two years, has also penalty-killed for them for those two years, and has worked to harden his game defensively. Add in a hard and accurate shot (including a comfortable one-timer), an ability to fake-and-shake to create lanes for himself, an eager game on offence — and there’s reason to consider him. There are questions about how projectable his game is defensively, but I thought he made progress defending the rush and in his own zone this year, even if there are still times when he gets caught down ice or doesn’t close out/box out effectively.

Reactions: BernieParent

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Yeah, he's referring to Hudson Thornton, who is 3 months younger than Samson and outscored him by 14 points in 8 more games.
Listed at 5'11 181.

Smaht Scouting:

Thornton scares me a bit. I don’t question his offensive game. In fact, I think he’s a great passer and a legitimate power play quarterback at this level. The issue that I have with Thornton is that he is very rough defensively. He struggles with decision making at times and it can lead to turnovers in his own end. There’s upside in Thornton’s game, but the risk with his poor defensive play will cause teams to shy away until the second half of the draft, in my opinion.

Wheeler:

One of the most productive defencemen in junior hockey this season, Thornton emerged as an offensive catalyst on a Prince George team that had plenty of scouts coming to see them play because of first-year eligible forwards Riley Heidt and Koehen Ziemmer. He finished second among all WHL defencemen in goals (23) and fifth in points (74), both of which broke Cougars records. He has worn a letter for that team the last two years, has also penalty-killed for them for those two years, and has worked to harden his game defensively. Add in a hard and accurate shot (including a comfortable one-timer), an ability to fake-and-shake to create lanes for himself, an eager game on offence — and there’s reason to consider him. There are questions about how projectable his game is defensively, but I thought he made progress defending the rush and in his own zone this year, even if there are still times when he gets caught down ice or doesn’t close out/box out effectively.
lol i know who hes talking about but thanks

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I couldn't find anything about this, but isn't there some situation where if a team doesn't sign their first round pick, they get a compensatory pick?

SInce the Flyers didn't sign O'Brien, do we get some compensatory pick?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I couldn't find anything about this, but isn't there some situation where if a team doesn't sign their first round pick, they get a compensatory pick?

SInce the Flyers didn't sign O'Brien, do we get some compensatory pick?
#51 in the 2024 draft. So (2) 1st, (2) 2nds, (2) 6th rd picks next summer.
You get the same draft slot in the 2nd rd that you picked in the 1st rd.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
JOB signed a contract with the Toronto AHL club.
Lol I read an article on TSN or as we like to call it " Toronto Sports Network . Apparently he scored way more goals and had more points than what is recorded . Played for BC and in BCHL and lit it up , man he must be some real great signing which is always the case with Toronto .

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Just finished watching a rerun of the 2023 U18's. We are going to regret passing on Perrault for project Bonk. Maybe more so than passing over Makar for Patrick. At least the latter situation was more hindsight (although I would have passed on Patrick). But Perrault was a known talent and was sitting there. So instead of Leonard/Perault we have 2 projects. Mikov is not a hockey project but getting him over here most certainly is. If he can't get over here and Bonk fizzles, WOW, just WOW. Those are the drafts that set you back a half a decade (see 2017 for reference)

Reactions: sregdoor

sregdoor

Jun 22, 2018
Just finished watching a rerun of the 2023 U18's. We are going to regret passing on Perrault for project Bonk. Maybe more so than passing over Makar for Patrick. At least the latter situation was more hindsight (although I would have passed on Patrick). But Perrault was a known talent and was sitting there. So instead of Leonard/Perault we have 2 projects. Mikov is not a hockey project but getting him over here most certainly is. If he can't get over here and Bonk fizzles, WOW, just WOW. Those are the drafts that set you back a half a decade (see 2017 for reference)
I feel like we did not take the BPA at #22 but instead took the best right handed defenseman available. With a critical need at center I would have preferred Perreault or Stenberg,

Reactions: captainpaxil

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
You should try to find tape on him from the WJC Summer Showcase, its a whole different player this summer compared to that torunament. Its different tournaments but lots of the same players he played with and against at the u18s, and Perrault didnt really stand out this time. He had 4 points in 4 games but the games I watched him in I wasnt as impressed as I was when he was he with the national team, and seeing him play without having Leonard and Smith every shift solidfied why he wasnt as a hot a commodity at the draft.
I feel like we did not take the BPA at #22 but instead took the best right handed defenseman available. With a critical need at center I would have preferred Perreault or Stenberg,
Stenberg was the guy I was hoping for after Moore was taken, Bonk wasnt even on my list at all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad